The michael jordan - most marketable player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

The likes of Messi and C Ronaldon are bigger world wide than MJ ever was, even Beckham could be thrown in as bigger.
NN and Buddy in Australia.
Loved Tony Ronaldson at Nunawading and Spectres and South East Melbourne Magic, my brother and I nicknamed him apple'arse cos he had massive buttocks, he would drive up to the King Club in his bmw late model softtop when he got back from Arizona Devils

Last edited:
What do you mean North didn’t cash in?

Carey was on over a million dollar a season 25 years ago.

He was Nike’s poster boy in Australia and there’s stories of uncashed cheques in his glove box of $200k.

Franklin doesn’t come close to how big Carey was in the 90’s.
^this

+his pinnacle competition, (not there, Brereton 8yrs earlier)
+ Nike entrance to footballshoe market

who was Carey's opposition? Freddie Fitler ?

If people don't like him much though, is he marketable? I mean imagine if Nick Kyrgios or Bernard Tomic were actually good tennis players. I still don't think they would get many endorsements as the public as a whole don't like them.
Nike signed Kyrgios did they not?

Nike only sign half a dozen tennis players. Nike don't give two hoots the media and talk-back, many succour mom™ public,and swimmer Dawn Fraser h8 Kyrgios' guts, Australia relatively small market for Nike, they make downpayment for next Wimbledon winners*

Fed has gone on record more than once that NK is most talented player in the game, I don't think I was pissing in his pocket neither

me: he won't win jack tho cos winning is more than raw talent

Michael Jordan is quite probably the most famous person to ever walk the earth alongside Michael Jackson, John Lennon, Princess Diana, Muhammad Ali, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tom Cruise & Jesus Christ.

Then comes a close second tier of people like Hugh Hefner, Madonna, Mike Tyson, John McEnroe, Sylvester Stallone and Paul McCartney.

Strictly speaking sportspeople though he would be only second behind Ali with names like Tyson, Babe Ruth, Ronaldo, Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong and Federer all being household words. Even if you do not follow sport you know these names.

There will never be anyone in Australia let alone AFL who will ever be that huge or marketable.

Who do we really have to sell? Elle McPhearson (win), Angus Young (Scott), Heath Ledger (dead), Mel Gibson (Yank)..?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have a serious under-appreciation of Jordan’s fame if you genuinely think thats the case. And that’s not playing down the likes of Ronaldo or Messi at all.

Everybody including your great grandmother knew who Michael Jordan was.

Wouldn't a shitload of that have to do with being in space jam? That's where a *load of non sports fans would recognize him from

Michael Jordan is quite probably the most famous person to ever walk the earth alongside Michael Jackson, John Lennon, Princess Diana, Muhammad Ali, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tom Cruise & Jesus Christ.

Then comes a close second tier of people like Hugh Hefner, Madonna, Mike Tyson, John McEnroe, Sylvester Stallone and Paul McCartney.

Strictly speaking sportspeople though he would be only second behind Ali with names like Tyson, Babe Ruth, Ronaldo, Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong and Federer all being household words. Even if you do not follow sport you know these names.

There will never be anyone in Australia let alone AFL who will ever be that huge or marketable.

Who do we really have to sell? Elle McPhearson (win), Angus Young (Scott), Heath Ledger (dead), Mel Gibson (Yank)..?
I can tell you Steve Irwin is still huge in North America.
Same with Chris Hemsworth and Margot Robbie

Wouldn't a shitload of that have to do with being in space jam? That's where a fu**load of non sports fans would recognize him from

Just part of it.

Also, Jordan came at a perfect time - the 90s.

Fame was still expensive then - as in, you did necessary have to do something at a high level to obtain it.

Fame has rapidly gotten a lot cheaper. It’s quite amazing really, any person with a phone in their pocket has a potential worldwide platform. That wasn’t the case 25 years ago.

It was harder to become famous but when you did, it lasted longer because there wasn’t a billion other people about to take your spotlight tomorrow.

Yet, by the 90s, we did have worldwide mass media. But it was tightly controlled by media companies. You didn’t have access to it. Nowadays anyone on earth can have a YouTube channel.

Jordan was so well marketed because he was everywhere on that mass media. Sports, obviously. Television. Feature films. A freaking Michael Jackson song.

He arrived at that perfect time - when media could beam him around the world, but media was not yet cheap or accessible enough for there to be a billion other people and things taking his crown.

Nonsense.

Jordan was probably the most well known person on the planet back in the day. Even people that didn't know much about sport knew of him.

Plenty in the world nowadays don't know CR7 or Messi. Half of the US, for starters. Most non-sport Australians wouldn't know them, however far more likely to know Jordan.
Tony Ronaldson > C Ronaldson!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back