Racing May Daily Thread - Melham’s Multi Madness

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So much of backing Pike, Moreira, Purton etc is starting price profile.

I mean that one in the last went $26, $26, $8 the last 3 starts. Then went around $6.50 today.

The $26 to $8 is when it went from Saturday grade to midweek.

Then the $8 in a $24k midweek race without Pike becomes $6.50 in a Saturday race worth $56k with Pike on.

Obvious cat is obvious.

Just checked - Kem a lazy 0 for 12 since I declared after he was flogged fair and square in the Doncaster that he would never win again - has to be close to my best ever call. Fave in 5 of those and single figures every time.
not going to let you go with this. You tipped in the tout a couple of starts ago!!

Why do the bookies keep offering up such a horrid price for Kem?

how is he not starting double figures at this point? its insanity
This happens with pretty much every Godolphin spruke horse like Avilicat Oscat Blues. Kemencat, and heaps of others. Laying them on Betfair is the only decent thing i have done this past few months.
His horses are way over rated and James Cummings cannot place horses (if indeed its his job to place them)

This happens with pretty much every Godolphin spruke horse like Avilicat Oscat Blues. Kemencat, and heaps of others. Laying them on Betfair is the only decent thing i have done this past few months.
His horses are way over rated and James Cummings cannot place horses (if indeed its his job to place them)

I think Dom Beirne has a hand in placement or seems to on twitter at least. I have to say James has done an outstanding job with his 2yo's. They can run through walls.

His older horses just tend to keep going around. The 2yo's do too but they hold form. That would be ultimately James' call (when they spell) but I would think day to day placement goes to another person ie normally the racing manager.

I think Dom Beirne has a hand in placement or seems to on twitter at least. I have to say James has done an outstanding job with his 2yo's. They can run through walls.

His older horses just tend to keep going around. The 2yo's do too but they hold form. That would be ultimately James' call (when they spell) but I would think day to day placement goes to another person ie normally the racing manager.
Yep Dom does some work placing them. He’s one of the smartest/most respected people I’ve met in the game so I won’t pot his work. Of course James still has a say as well.

These big modern stable sizes make it a seriously tough job placing them for the likes of Godolphin/Waller etc. Especially when you have owners with multiple horse in a stable that they don’t want racing against each other or they want racing at certain meetings so they can attend. In plenty of cases a lot more goes on behind the scenes than just a trainer picking what race he thinks is best.

Yep Dom does some work placing them. He’s one of the smartest/most respected people I’ve met in the game so I won’t pot his work. Of course James still has a say as well.

These big modern stable sizes make it a seriously tough job placing them for the likes of Godolphin/Waller etc. Especially when you have owners with multiple horse in a stable that they don’t want racing against each other or they want racing at certain meetings so they can attend. In plenty of cases a lot more goes on behind the scenes than just a trainer picking what race he thinks is best.

Yeah it can be like that but James/Godolphin probably don't have that excuse. His job is to win as much as possible for profit. He may occasionally separate 2 good ones with 2 good races in 2 weeks but other wise they should still be going to most suitable race money (or feature wins to help with breeding operation)

Thats a fair enough counterpoint, which leads me to wonder why owners keep giving these horses to trainers who probably have way too many horses in the stable. There are plenty of trainers who probably charge less who would do just as good a job if given a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats a fair enough counterpoint, which leads me to wonder why owners keep giving these horses to trainers who probably have way too many horses in the stable. There are plenty of trainers who probably charge less who would do just as good a job if given a chance.
If an owner I’d go with someone like Pat Carey or Colin Little youd get more attention for your horse

Yeah it can be like that but James/Godolphin probably don't have that excuse. His job is to win as much as possible for profit. He may occasionally separate 2 good ones with 2 good races in 2 weeks but other wise they should still be going to most suitable race money (or feature wins to help with breeding operation)
Yeah Godolphin/Cummings is different to pretty well any other stable in that regard. They’d have short/medium/long term paths set out for most of their horses, and definitely for the group class ones. With the amount of horses they have in work they’ll always end up with some getting setbacks, some going better and some worse than expected, and some they just get plain wrong which can make them look silly when the fields come out.

Stables like Waller/Snowden build a reputation based off a stack of winners which they can market off. They charge a premium fee which make owners feel like they’re getting better training. They’re also very good at looking after/engaging the owners so they feel happy with the service, so next time they buy one they go back to the same trainer.

We aren’t usually talking about cheap horses with these stables either, and some hope they are buying the group 1 dream. On the off chance they have got a top liner, the idea is Chris Waller is more likely to win to you a Group 1 than Bjorn Baker.

I‘ve seen people floating the idea of limits on total numbers in a stable and there could be some merit in going down that path.

Stables like Waller/Snowden build a reputation based off a stack of winners which they can market off. They charge a premium fee which make owners feel like they’re getting better training. They’re also very good at looking after/engaging the owners so they feel happy with the service, so next time they buy one they go back to the same trainer.

We aren’t usually talking about cheap horses with these stables either, and some hope they are buying the group 1 dream. On the off chance they have got a top liner, the idea is Chris Waller is more likely to win to you a Group 1 than Bjorn Baker.

I‘ve seen people floating the idea of limits on total numbers in a stable and there could be some merit in going down that path.
Surely wouldnt pass any restriction of trade laws

Surely wouldnt pass any restriction of trade laws
I’ve got no idea on the legalities, and I’m not even sure I support the idea, but sport has always set rules that seem to breach what would be allowed in regular workplaces. Just look at the AFL. The draft and trade systems wouldn’t wash in any other industry.

A moderately high profile case in NSW at the moment shows just how crazy the powers racing authorities have. Stewards effectively have the right to bring in and charge any of us on here who have accused a stable of milkshakes or a jockey or driver of pulling one up. As long as you’ve had a bet you’re considered an industry participant.

The problem with Waller is that NSW racing outside Sydney is just crap.

You'll get a 2000m race at Randwick and 5 of the 8 starters are from his stable because there is nowhere else to go.

At least previously with Weir, and Moody before him, in Melbourne they could send a couple to the metro race, one to Adelaide, one to country cup A and the other to country cup B and spread them around a bit.

QLD... for a near $2mil commodity the owners should’ve scratched
Don’t run if not right, too risky
It probably didn’t even affect its run tbh

It just got way too far back and at EF it’s tough to win chasing 8 lengths no matter how good you are, looking at the replay it was actually a massive run from it, especially down the straight

Was the reason I couldn’t believe someone would plonk 11k on it, cos it’s an absolute shite venue to punt at

It probably didn’t even affect its run tbh

It just got way too far back and at EF it’s tough to win chasing 8 lengths no matter how good you are

Was the reason I couldn’t believe someone would plonk 11k on it, cos it’s an absolute shite venue to punt at
While may have a laugh at owners not accepting the HK offer at least the thing is racing and not off elsewhere or to the breeding barn (not that's an option for K).

Australian racing probably needs more talented geldings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back