Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With the Snyder cut, in all honesty has anyone seen a film where a director’s cut has elevated it from bad to good? I’ve seen plenty that made a good movie better or an average movie good (think 6/10 to a 7.5/10) but a movie as genuinely bad as Justice League becoming great or even good?

Kingdom of Heaven is the only director’s cut I can think of that goes close and even that’s not “bad” to “good”.

The Snyder cut might improve it (also might somehow make it worse) but I HIGHLY doubt it’s gonna be a masterpiece.

This gets thrown around a lot, I don't think many people will be arguing it's going to be masterpiece. (Ok maybe me)

But it's more so simply being able to see the original director's vision and work before he had to depart because of a personal tragedy.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Bad Education - HBO movie with Jackman. - 7/10 - not a bad movie. Jackman and Janney in the two leads are good and maybe just me but I like Ray Romano.
Ray Romano is severely underrated. Check him out in the TV show Get Shorty (on Stan). He plays a hopeless down and out film director absolutely perfectly. Plus, it's a fantastic show.

Ray Romano is severely underrated. Check him out in the TV show Get Shorty (on Stan). He plays a hopeless down and out film director absolutely perfectly. Plus, it's a fantastic show.
Spot on. He was also great in a one season show called Vinyl that was bagged but I liked.

Just about every role he plays no matter how small he brings something, intensity and presence.

Extraction- I thought it was pretty good and Hemsworth is very good in the role. You can actually accept that physically he could do some of the stuff.

Gets a bit John Wick with all the shooting after a while. Still, a good Saturday nighter after a few beers.

6.5/10

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
The Stuff. Pretty corny but entertaining movie from the 80s about a substance that tastes better than ice cream but turns people into zombies.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Extraction- I thought it was pretty good and Hemsworth is very good in the role. You can actually accept that physically he could do some of the stuff.

Gets a bit John Wick with all the shooting after a while. Still, a good Saturday nighter after a few beers.

6.5/10
The main fight scene was one take I believe. Pretty impressive.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Settled on BlacKKKlansman, glad I did. Quality film that balanced the humour and more weighty elements, strong character work, good performances all round. 8.5/10.

Pretty much thought the same, just a well put together story and crazy that there was a basis of truth to it. I haven't always been a fan of Adam Driver but thought he was really good in this.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty much thought the same, just a well put together story and crazy that there was a basis of truth to it. I haven't always been a fan of Adam Driver but thought he was really good in this.
I’d seen Driver in Star Wars and Logan Lucky but this was his best work. Very impressive performance, sometimes just carried in a look.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Tucker: The man and his dream (1988)

Its a fun movie and Jeff Bridges (plus a fun cameo by dad) and Martin Landau are fantastic in it.

It does feel a little Disney but its an interesting story and more than a few of his ideas would become standard decades later... once the established car companies decided it was cost effective enough.

The Fifth Element - currently on Viceland (It’s on loop - they’re showing it 5 times in a row lol)

8/10. The movie has aged quite well, still entertaining after 20 odd years. Milla Jovovich is a babe and Chris Tucker’s character is hilarious.
GIMME DA CASSSSSSSSSSSSH !!!!

Take it.......ah donn NEED ITTTTT !!!!

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
The Fifth Element - currently on Viceland (It’s on loop - they’re showing it 5 times in a row lol)

8/10. The movie has aged quite well, still entertaining after 20 odd years. Milla Jovovich is a babe and Chris Tucker’s character is hilarious.
Again? I swear recently they done a full 24hrs of it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Breaking In - 4.5/5.
Great thriller on Netflix where four men break into a woman's house with her kids there looking for a safe. I'd highly recommend it, very intense and I was on the edge of my seat for the majority of the film.

The Stepfather 4/5
Guy murders his family and then takes on a new identity but the stepson feels something isn't right. Another good watch.

State of Play 4.5/5
Ben Affleck and Russell Crowe. Rusty is great - plays a journo investigating the murders of two people and a "suicide" of another journalist.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
SOURCE CODE ( 2011 )

Underrated as fk

Jakey G is the man.

This movie is stupid. 'Happy' ending should be in a horror movie.
Main character steals someone's body and life as positive music plays.

Last edited:

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
SOURCE CODE ( 2011 )

Underrated as fk

Jakey G is the man.
Good but with an incoherent ending.
When it glitched that last time, I thought the movie had ended and I felt painfully aware of lost love and the cruelness of life. In that couple of seconds, a flurry of emotions swept through me and I felt like I'd watched a brilliant film that I would remember forever. Then they tried to have their cake and eat it too and completely ruined the whole movie. I'll still remember it for a long time, but only because that ending made me hate it so, so much. The only other movie where the ending completely ruined it for me like that is Stranger Than Fiction.

Maybe it already was

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon

What makes it extra harsh is the director Duncan Jones has said that the time travel works by creating alternate realities and in every one of those realities bar one Sean dies. Of course there is that last one reality where Sean's body lives on but it's now inhabited by Jake Gyllenhall's character. They could have wrote in one extra jump where the bomb is stopped so Sean gets to carry on somewhere at least but nope no matter what reality he exists in Sean gets ****ed over :sweatsmile:.

I still like the movie though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back