Society/Culture The 12 Steps... To spotting conspiracy theories.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
How do you explain the concerns from these scientists?
I'm not saying your link is total bullshit, but in two and a half years only 377 "scientists and medical doctors" have put their name to this appeal.

My mate put a video of himself lighting a fart on YouTube and had a better response than that.

Pathetic.

Hey Chief!

Ok so we both agree that 5G towers do not spread the 'Covid-19 virus' (Yay common ground! Although I'm still not sure that can even be called a 'conspiracy theory' as I have never heard anyone mention it before, it is a seriously stupid idea, but I'll let you have it as one)

Do you have another 9 or so 'conspiracy theories' that you think we can comprehensively rule out?

Come on... you must have so many since you are an expert in everything!
I’d have to Google to jog my memory.

Moon landings “faked”, JFK mess of theories, 9/11 “inside job”, flat earth, the Illuminati...

What else?

Roswell aliens.

Last edited:

Moon landings “faked”, JFK mess of theories, 9/11 “inside job”, flat earth, the Illuminati...

What else?

Harold Holt was abducted by a Chinese sub

Dinosaur bones are planted by atheists to make people not believe the earth is only 5000 years old

the holocaust never happened

Danks records proving EFC's innocence do exist

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I think there’s a big difference between people who are full blown CTs who make it part of their own personal belief systems and people who are just interested in the CTs as a form of entertainment and don’t take it all too seriously.

The world of humans has always involved things like corruption, cover-ups, injustice and general political media propaganda.

It’s part of life.

Laugh all you want at CT nut jobs...but you’re a fool to think our world is all unicorns and rainbows.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I think there’s a big difference between people who are full blown CTs who make it part of their own personal belief systems and people who are just interested in the CTs as a form of entertainment and don’t take it all too seriously.

The world of humans has always involved things like corruption, cover-ups, injustice and general political media propaganda.

It’s part of life.

Laugh all you want at CT nut jobs...but you’re a fool to think our world is all unicorns and rainbows.
A skeptical mindset questioning the public narrative is a healthy stance to take at all times afaic. Often that stance requires the weighing up of evidence from conspiracy theorists who are sometimes right.

Since when did we trust the media and politicians to provide accurate information free of bias?

Hey Chief!

Ok so we both agree that 5G towers do not spread the 'Covid-19 virus' (Yay common ground! Although I'm still not sure that can even be called a 'conspiracy theory' as I have never heard anyone mention it before, it is a seriously stupid idea, but I'll let you have it as one)

Do you have another 9 or so 'conspiracy theories' that you think we can comprehensively rule out?

Come on... you must have so many since you are an expert in everything!
That Protocols of the Elders of Zion hoax book.

“Big Pharma has the cure” CT - the idea that companies have cured things like cancer but hold back the information to make money from treatment. Note that the same people often don’t want to get vaccinated lest they end up with computer chips in their blood.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Are you saying the conspiracy theory is that the 5G towers are spreading the Covid-19 virus?
Oh it's a conspiracy theory alright.
The theory went that the Coronavirus was deliberately spread so that the 5G towers could be erected within our communities whilst we were in lockdown and so couldn't protest.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
It appears people aren't getting taught the electromagnetic spectrum in school any more.
Are you suggesting that a secondary school level understanding of the electromagnetic spectrum would be sufficient for one to assess whether different frequencies at different energy levels are safe or not?

For the record I firmly believe that 5g infrastructure will is perfectly safe, but I see so much Dunning Kreuger from both sides of the debate on every science-related controversy.

unnamed.png

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
A skeptical mindset questioning the public narrative is a healthy stance to take at all times afaic. Often that stance requires the weighing up of evidence from conspiracy theorists who are sometimes right.

Since when did we trust the media and politicians to provide accurate information free of bias?
See, I do agree with this, but there's a problem with just arbitrary skepticism.

Snake_Baker keeps posting videos from Feynman that explain his stance on the scientific method, and skepticism as a whole. It's all very well and good to maintain a level of skepticism, but there needs to be alternative explanations which make more sense than what you're being told is true. One cannot immediately conclude that a widely held fact is false, one must propose a rationale and a basis that is a better explanation than the official line.

Most CT's fail that, one would have thought.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
See, I do agree with this, but there's a problem with just arbitrary skepticism.

Snake_Baker keeps posting videos from Feynman that explain his stance on the scientific method, and skepticism as a whole. It's all very well and good to maintain a level of skepticism, but there needs to be alternative explanations which make more sense than what you're being told is true. One cannot immediately conclude that a widely held fact is false, one must propose a rationale and a basis that is a better explanation than the official line.

Most CT's fail that, one would have thought.
1590355795963.png

Kosch

Cancelled
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide

What else?

Roswell aliens.

Cool thank you for these

Can I suggest instead of googling 'conspiracy theories' as it will just confirm your bias, google these confirmed CIA programs:

* Operation Mockingbird (The CIA using main stream media to control the masses through propaganda)
* Project Mk Ultra (Mind control using LSD and torture)

Then explain how you still believe the CIA's or main stream medias official narrative of any of these events (Except for flat earth I do not know where that has come from).

Moon landings - Mostly likely was real - but videos could've easily have been faked.

JFK - Despised the CIA - Famously said he wanted to “splinter the CIA in a thousand pieces and scatter it to the winds.” Lee Harvey Oswald's relationship with the CIA is also of interest, as is the motive behind his death by Jack Ruby. Also look for the 1979 Select Committee on Assassination which found that there was most likely two shooters acting on behalf of a larger conspiracy. The recently released additional documents surrounding JFK's assassination are fascinating but I am extremely interested to see the ones that Trump is still withholding due to '“identifiable national security, law enforcement, and foreign affairs concerns,” which are set to be release in October 2021.

Link to 1979 Select committee report - https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/select-committee-report
Link to 2018 additional JFK assassination documents - https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/release

9/11 - Forget the Twin towers and focus on 7 WTC. The official narrative for the collapse of building 7 does not add up. Physicists from around the world agree it could only have been a controlled demolition. Add to that to the fact that a BBC reporter announced the collapse of Building 7 on live TV 30 mins before it actually collapsed, how do you explain that?

Link to video showing BBC journalist announcing collapse of 7 WTC on Live TV while it still stands behind her -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEsjv9vKCGc

The Illuminati - Not a 'theory' has been confirmed, search 'Bavarian Illuminati'. Other secret societies that have been confirmed - Freemasons, Knights of Malta, Skull and Bones Society etc.

Roswell aliens - Sure believe the official narrative due to lack of evidence, but I'm sure the US government/intelligence agencies would not disclose that info even if it did happen. Surely you must admit that the secrecy around Area 51 is extremely interesting. Personally I think it is used for weapons tech and would be fascinated to see what is being developed inside.

As you can see there are a lot of questions still surrounding most of these 'Conspiracy theories' so we can hardly say they have been conclusively debunked.

I do find it surprising you didn't mention Qanon.... having doubts?

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cool thank you for these

Can I suggest instead of googling 'conspiracy theories' as it will just confirm your bias, google these confirmed CIA programs:

* Operation Mockingbird (The CIA using main stream media to control the masses through propaganda)

Then explain how you still believe the CIA's or main stream medias official narrative of any of these events (Except for flat earth I do not know where that has come from).

Moon landings - Mostly likely was real - but videos could've easily have been faked.

JFK - Despised the CIA - Famously said he wanted to “splinter the CIA in a thousand pieces and scatter it to the winds.” Lee Harvey Oswald's relationship with the CIA is also of interest, as is the motive behind his death by Jack Ruby. Also look for the 1979 Select Committee on Assassination which found that there was most likely two shooters acting on behalf of a larger conspiracy. The recently released additional documents surrounding JFK's assassination are fascinating but I am extremely interested to see the ones that Trump is still withholding due to '“identifiable national security, law enforcement, and foreign affairs concerns,” which are set to be release in October 2021.

Link to 1979 Select committee report - https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/select-committee-report
Link to 2018 additional JFK assassination documents - https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/release

9/11 - Forget the Twin towers and focus on 7 WTC. The official narrative for the collapse of building 7 does not add up. Physicists from around the world agree it could only have been a controlled demolition. Add to that to the fact that a BBC reporter announced the collapse of Building 7 on live TV 30 mins before it actually collapsed, how do you explain that?

Link to video showing BBC journalist announcing collapse of 7 WTC on Live TV while it still stands behind her -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEsjv9vKCGc

The Illuminati - Not a 'theory' has been confirmed, search 'Bavarian Illuminati'. Other secret societies that have been confirmed - Freemasons, Knights of Malta, Skull and Bones Society etc.

Roswell aliens - Sure believe the official narrative due to lack of evidence, but I'm sure the US government/intelligence agencies would not disclose that info even if it did happen. Surely you must admit that the secrecy around Area 51 is extremely interesting. Personally I think it is used for weapons tech and would be fascinated to see what is being developed inside.

As you can see there are a lot of questions still surrounding most of these 'Conspiracy theories' so we can hardly say they have been conclusively debunked.

I think you need to separate those matters where there is hard evidence that has been scientifically tested and peer reviewed from those matters that are pure speculation based on gut feelings or suspicion without ever really being scrutinized by experts

I think your list is about 50/50

Cool thank you for these

Where there are questions surrounding this stuff, CT nuts fill in the gaps with hearsay, guesswork, plain old fraudulent books and reports from people out for a buck. They make up improbable and whacky theories on the flimsiest of evidence. Even when there are no gaps, CT nuts often ignore actual evidence or sheer probability.

"Governments have lied to us before!" is not evidence. That's like saying you're a murderer because "people have murdered before!"

Kosch

Cancelled
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Where there are questions surrounding this stuff, CT nuts fill in the gaps with hearsay, guesswork, plain old fraudulent books and reports from people out for a buck. They make up improbable and whacky theories on the flimsiest of evidence. Even when there are no gaps, CT nuts often ignore actual evidence or sheer probability.

"Governments have lied to us before!" is not evidence. That's like saying you're a murderer because "people have murdered before!"

What's worse, trying to work out reasons for the gaps or ignoring them and just blindly accepting what you are told?

What if the same people in government who lied are still in government? What happens when you aren't even aware that they have lied?

I admire your sunny disposition Chief, but the world is full of selfish, horrible people who take advantage of others. They exist in every sector, every industry. We can't just bury our head in the sand and continue to give these people the benefit of the doubt. There is no harm in continuing to ask questions until we receive satisfactory answers.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
What's worse, trying to work out reasons for the gaps or ignoring them and just blindly accepting what you are told?

What if the same people in government who lied are still in government? What happens when you aren't even aware that they have lied?

I admire your sunny disposition Chief, but the world is full of selfish, horrible people who take advantage of others. They exist in every sector, every industry. We can't just bury our head in the sand and continue to give these people the benefit of the doubt. There is no harm in continuing to ask questions until we receive satisfactory answers.
I kind of agree, except that often the very questions that are being asked form a CT just because the question was never answered to the satisfaction of the person asking. In other words a non-response isn't proof of a conspiracy

However, I do agree with you that Governments have lied and continue to lie to us.
In the US for example the first President every accused of being corrupt goes all the way back to President Grant, while many think it is only Nixon who was a lying crook, when in fact most of them have been
Anyone who has done any quality research and used verifiable and authentically acknowledged public documents knows for most of its history the FBI was a Political Police Force that would at times be as tyrannical as the Gestapo.....with one aim, to protect the status quo.
Yet even though the tested evidence exists it is either purposely, not acknowledged, or found to be "too difficult to discuss"

Kosch

Cancelled
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
I kind of agree, except that often the very questions that are being asked form a CT just because the question was never answered to the satisfaction of the person asking. In other words a non-response isn't proof of a conspiracy

However, I do agree with you that Governments have lied and continue to lie to us.
In the US for example the first President every accused of being corrupt goes all the way back to President Grant, while many think it is only Nixon who was a lying crook, when in fact most of them have been
Anyone who has done any quality research and used verifiable and authentically acknowledged public documents knows for most of its history the FBI was a Political Police Force that would at times be as tyrannical as the Gestapo.....with one aim, to protect the status quo.
Yet even though the tested evidence exists it is either purposely, not acknowledged, or found to be "too difficult to discuss"

Hey mate,

Thanks for your responses I think we are definitely on the same page.

I agree that there are some bat sh*t crazy theories that individuals come up with that are not based on logic and reason.
The problem is that those theories are then always used to discredit other theories that do have credibility and that do require answers for us to completely understand a situation.

People in power have lied throughout all of humankind as a way to control the masses, sadly it is a part of human nature we cannot avoid. The most important thing is for us to be aware of what is happening, stay informed and most importantly speak up when we recognize that injustice is happening to let those in power know it is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. Too many have become too complacent.

The FBI was bad.... the CIA was far, far worse.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Here's one of those crazy CT I read on Twitter

The reason a vaccine is taking so long to develop is because they are developing a tracking device which will be small enough to be used in the vaccine and injected into everyone

No s**t, this is actually being said

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Conspiracy Theorists are racists. Scratch a conspiracy theorist and you will find an anti-semite. Anti-semitism drives their thinking. In the eyes of Conspiracy Theorists, Jews worldwide are in possession of considerable wealth, power and influence and are using it to exercise undue control over democratic governments, international organisations, financial institutions, media corporations and cultural establishments - often labelled as the NWO (New World Order).
In recent years this anti-semitism has been expanding to include other wealthy and influential individuals who are seen to associate with notable Jews. The classic example is Bill Gates.

Last edited:

Kosch

Cancelled
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Conspiracy Theorists are racists. Scratch a conspiracy theorist and you will find an anti-semite. Anti-semitism drives their thinking. In the eyes of Conspiracy Theorists, Jews worldwide are in possession of considerable wealth, power and influence and are using it to exercise undue control over democratic governments, international organisations, financial institutions, media corporations and cultural establishments - often labelled as the NWO (New World Order).
In recent years this anti-semitism has been expanding to include other wealthy and influential individuals who are seen to associate with notable Jews. The classic example is Bill Gates.

This is a disgusting generalization mate, pull your head in

Kosch

Cancelled
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Here's one of those crazy CT I read on Twitter

The reason a vaccine is taking so long to develop is because they are developing a tracking device which will be small enough to be used in the vaccine and injected into everyone

No s**t, this is actually being said

Not entirely out of the realm of possibility, research ID2020 Bill Gates' plan to provide everyone on the planet with a digital ID through vaccines:

However the reason it is taking so long is most likely because there has never been an effective or safe coronavirus vaccine. The ones that have been developed in the past have proven deadly in animal trials.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not entirely out of the realm of possibility, research ID2020 Bill Gates' plan to provide everyone on the planet with a digital ID through vaccines:

However the reason it is taking so long is most likely because there has never been an effective or safe coronavirus vaccine. The ones that have been developed in the past have proven deadly in animal trials.
This post was updated at 4:58pm on March 26, 2020 to clarify that the program is intended to allow people to receive vaccination and prove they have received it, not to track individuals, as claimed by some conspiracy theorists.

And now we have a new faction of conspiracy theorists who blame the Russians when things go wrong :drunk:

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
And now we have a new faction of conspiracy theorists who blame the Russians when things go wrong :drunk:
I don't think there is any conspiracy in Russia.
With the rise of Putin there is only one person in Russia with any concentration of power, money, influence and ambition to control everything - and that's Vladimir Putin.

Back