Coronavirus/COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs v Fitzroy 83 on Fox - what a cool team with The Axe, Del Re, Libba, Super, Scotty, Wally, Kritter, Hunter, Billy, Galaxy, Fish, Toohey, Dougy

Didn't remember Mansefield really

93? Matthew Mansfield - a Tasmanian. Not sure why he didn't play longer, played finals in 92, nice skills. A lefty - Bevo would have loved him!

Dogs v Fitzroy 93 on Fox - what a cool team with The Axe, Del Re, Libba, Super, Scotty, Wally, Kritter, Hunter, Billy, Galaxy, Fish, Toohey, Dougy

Didn't remember Mansefield really
Hope we make a comeback here - gettng smashed!

Roos 3 votes I guess

I don't see a problem with having one thread in which we can discuss whatever we choose. We've managed to discuss and debate nearly every topic under the sun in this thread with little moderation needed to keep it civil. Especially given that we have had very little to discuss regarding footy up until now. Folks like yourself who are only interested in talking footy need not venture in here.

I personally would prefer big footy to remain politics and religion free. It really turns me off coming onto the board and ruins it as a sanctuary of sorts.

The best thing about this thread has been the discussion about chocolate.

I completely forgot that I hadn't received a refund for my missing HUGE bag of Lindt chocolate balls that never arrived even though I had filled out an online form to get a refund for them and my bag of mandarins(Am I allowed to use that term any more?). So I rang Woolies instead and a full refund appeared in my bank account about two hours later. I'm happy that I got my refund, but those Lindt chocolate balls were half price! They'll never be half price again. :(

Damn this flu! Damn it to hell!

Yes they will!

They're on special at Coles every second week.

They often do the $20 box for half.

Trust me - I'm all over it 😘

I personally would prefer big footy to remain politics and religion free. It really turns me off coming onto the board and ruins it as a sanctuary of sorts.
I hear you maddog.

This thread started out as a Covid19 discussion but perhaps it would have been better called The Isolation Thread or The Lockdown Thread which is what it morphed into. It became a place where we could shoot the breeze on whatever topic we segued to, in the absence of chats with work colleagues, social groups or bar buddies. Of course it did revert to being a Covid19 discussion at times too.

I'm sorry you found it uncomfortable. I found it quite therapeutic, especially to have one's views challenged and debated fairly and intelligently -as they mostly were - by people like Wayniac and DMitchell. I always think it's good to discuss such things with people who have views that diverge from my own as it helps me understand my own position better and to adjust that position if it's deficient on facts or logic or compassion. I think generally it was done without rancour. For me, rancour, abuse and malicious mockery are the big killers of any internet forum.

Anyway footy's nearly back so I for one am happy to stick (mostly) to footy discussion from here on. I'm always up for a bit of friendly banter or humour but I'm happy to leave the deeper discussion of history and public affairs for other forums.

Go Dogs.

I...it would have been better called The Isolation Thread or The Lockdown Thread which is what it morphed into. It became a place where we could shoot the breeze on whatever topic we segued to, in the absence of chats with work colleagues, social groups or bar buddies. Of course it did revert to being a Covid19 discussion at times too.

I...

Nailed it. More fun than a barrel of monkeys.

93? Matthew Mansfield - a Tasmanian. Not sure why he didn't play longer, played finals in 92, nice skills. A lefty - Bevo would have loved him!
Amazing, the first thing I thought of when I read Mansfield was "Tasmanian". I don't know why some random things just stick in your head.

188cm and 79kgs, I always thought he was a bit bigger.

Amazing, the first thing I thought of when I read Mansfield was "Tasmanian". I don't know why some random things just stick in your head.

Leongatha has such a strong link to the dogs. Off the top of my head Choco Royal, Barry Standfield, Mansfield and Paul Hudson all coached the club almost consecutively to several flags in once was a really strong league.

Leongatha has such a strong link to the dogs. Off the top of my head Choco Royal, Barry Standfield, Mansfield and Paul Hudson all coached the club almost consecutively to several flags in once was a really strong league.
That's mostly (but not completely) thanks to the region being part of our zone back in the day. The fathers of Mitch Wallis (Stephen) and Jordan Roughead (Paul, who played a few ressies games at the Dogs) also came out of Leongatha, amongst others.

Height looks right, but I agree, would swear he looked bigger than 79kegs. Interview was a good read, didn't realise how early we picked him up. I remember him wearing an arm-guard during part of 92, and given a bit of a tribunal history, surprised he didn't employ it in the Peter Dean/Matthew Lloyd 'accidental' contact method! As well as his kicking skill, at times moved through traffic well, seemed to almost be in slow motion. An occasional wearer of long sleeves too (if that thread's still around somewhere?), or in this case, short sleeve over long sleeve on a cold day at WO:

Nice kick from 50 (probably had a bit if wind at his back), and great work by the tall triumvirate in the goalsquare to help it through. Game is R23 in 92, late August but still a nice chilly WO day to make the Sandgropers uncomfortable. :)
Ladder prior to this game was 2 (them) vs 3 (us), and the easy win pushed us over them into second spot on the ladder. Not much joy for the remaining games though. :( (Pies finished 3rd and got eliminated in week 1 elim against 6th Saints - what a shemozzle that 6-team finals model was.)

That's mostly (but not completely) thanks to the region being part of our zone back in the day. The fathers of Mitch Wallis (Stephen) and Jordan Roughead (Paul, who played a few ressies games at the Dogs) also came out of Leongatha, amongst others.

The Parrots! Stuart Wigney from there as well, think he grew up next door, or close by, the Wallis'. Heppell too, I think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Height looks right, but I agree, would swear he looked bigger than 79kegs. Interview was a good read, didn't realise how early we picked him up. I remember him wearing an arm-guard during part of 92, and given a bit of a tribunal history, surprised he didn't employ it in the Peter Dean/Matthew Lloyd 'accidental' contact method! As well as his kicking skill, at times moved through traffic well, seemed to almost be in slow motion. An occasional wearer of long sleeves too (if that thread's still around somewhere?), or in this case, short sleeve over long sleeve on a cold day at WO:

Nice kick from 50 (probably had a bit if wind at his back), and great work by the tall triumvirate in the goalsquare to help it through. Game is R23 in 92, late August but still a nice chilly WO day to make the Sandgropers uncomfortable. :)
Ladder prior to this game was 2 (them) vs 3 (us), and the easy win pushed us over them into second spot on the ladder. Not much joy for the remaining games though. :( (Pies finished 3rd and got eliminated in week 1 elim against 6th Saints - what a shemozzle that 6-team finals model was.)

Poor work by WCE there - as if Wynd was going to do anything other than handball in that situation!
We don't talk about Scotty nearly enough. He was an absolute warrier for us. How do you fly under the radar after winning a Brownlow?

The Parrots! Stuart Wigney from there as well, think he grew up next door, or close by, the Wallis'. Heppell too, I think?
Ian Salmon as well. We missed Dyson Heppell and Jarryd Roughead with the old zoning system finished.

Leongatha is still a small town with 2 pubs. Pretty good VFL/AFL output per capita.

Poor work by WCE there - as if Wynd was going to do anything other than handball in that situation!
We don't talk about Scotty nearly enough. He was an absolute warrier for us. How do you fly under the radar after winning a Brownlow?

Too right. If there's been one area where we've rarely lacked long-term class in my time, it's been the ruck. Dempsey, Purser, Wynd, Darcy, all top-notch. Many others have been solid/good (whether back-up or fill-in), and in some cases gone onto bigger and better things elsewhere - Round, Baker, Hampshire, Cousins, Minson, Welsh, Roughead, Salmon, Standfield, Street, Grgic, Boyd, Dunne, Bristow, T.Campbell, Charles. And that's without the under-rated superstars who peaked too soon - Bandy, A.Ford, Allday, Berry, DeKonning, Hansen, Ayce Cordy, Dooley, Mulligan, Davis, Bruton. Even Gary Cowton had a run in the ruck for us in one of his early games against North. Sorry, got carried away with a step back through 50 years of rucking history!

Ian Salmon as well. We missed Dyson Heppell and Jarryd Roughead with the old zoning system finished.

Leongatha is still a small town with 2 pubs. Pretty good VFL/AFL output per capita.

Forgot about the big Fish. One of my early favourites, a farmer with a booming left foot! Went back to the bush at only 23, yet still managed over 100 games. Imagine if he'd stayed for a full career?

Can someone please explain why a bulldogs bigfooty board has become a board for posters to put forward their political agendas.
Surely there other online sites for these views. Now that footy is coming back lets talk about footy, especially bulldogs footy. I would guess is the real reason bulldogs bigfooty exists.

Very funny Mr Jones.

Aren't you the same guy (or gal) that couldn't help but contribute to this very thread with the likes of 'Dictator Dan' and other childish insults?

There are countless threads for football talk. This is clearly not one of them.

Edit: I ****ed up the quote, so have edited my post so that OD is aware of it.

Last edited:
Can someone please explain why a bulldogs bigfooty board has become a board for posters to put forward their political agendas.
Surely there other online sites for these views. Now that footy is coming back lets talk about footy, especially bulldogs footy. I would guess is the real reason bulldogs bigfooty exists.

A... with the likes of 'Dictator Dan' and other childish insults?

[/QUOTE]
and inaccurate. Everyone knows it's Chairman Dan.

Too right. If there's been one area where we've rarely lacked long-term class in my time, it's been the ruck. Dempsey, Purser, Wynd, Darcy, all top-notch. Many others have been solid/good (whether back-up or fill-in), and in some cases gone onto bigger and better things elsewhere - Round, Baker, Hampshire, Cousins, Minson, Welsh, Roughead, Salmon, Standfield, Street, Grgic, Boyd, Dunne, Bristow, T.Campbell, Charles. And that's without the under-rated superstars who peaked too soon - Bandy, A.Ford, Allday, Berry, DeKonning, Hansen, Ayce Cordy, Dooley, Mulligan, Davis, Bruton. Even Gary Cowton had a run in the ruck for us in one of his early games against North. Sorry, got carried away with a step back through 50 years of rucking history!
Wade Skipper says you missed me!

My ruck memory really starts with Purser (all 193cm of him!) and then goes Wynd, Darcy - that is ridiculous quality, and some more experienced doggie-watchers rate Dempsey better than all of them.

I loved Hudson for us - second efforts after the tap and using your body to make space for your mids are very underrated skills for a ruckman and he could do that very well.

I am big on Tim English's prospects. I worry we're thrown him to the wolves a little bit by rucking him week-in week-out too early, perhaps I'm a little scarred by watching Josh Fraser being held back by injuries and niggles during his prime.

Wade Skipper says you missed me!

My ruck memory really starts with Purser (all 193cm of him!) and then goes Wynd, Darcy - that is ridiculous quality, and some more experienced doggie-watchers rate Dempsey better than all of them.

I loved Hudson for us - second efforts after the tap and using your body to make space for your mids are very underrated skills for a ruckman and he could do that very well.

I am big on Tim English's prospects. I worry we're thrown him to the wolves a little bit by rucking him week-in week-out too early, perhaps I'm a little scarred by watching Josh Fraser being held back by injuries and niggles during his prime.

Not sure I ever rated Skipper as even a part-time ruckman tbh! :D And how could I forget wingman turned ruck Tim English!?

Very funny Mr Jones.

Aren't you the same guy (or gal) that couldn't help but contribute to this very thread with the likes of 'Dictator Dan' and other childish insults?

There are countless threads for football talk. This is clearly not one of them.
Haha, I'd forgotten about that. In fact that might have even kick started one of the key conversations....Hilarious.

The People's Beard?

The People's Beard?

Aaargh, was sure I'd included him in the list, thanks.

Hard to rate, and in some cases separate, some of those ruckmen I listed (or missed!).

I'd probably say Dempsey, Wynd and Purser as my top 3, with Darcy, Hudson and Minson close behind.

Roughead and Boyd, while brief in their ruck careers, probably almost in that company for their 4 weeks in late 2016 alone!

Even harder to rate rucks further back in time, but Ware, Olliver, Stevens and Schultz were handy in their day as well - 2 Brownlows, a premiership
and 2 captain-coaches not a bad record, let alone B&Fs and state representation.

Aaargh, was sure I'd included him in the list, thanks.

Hard to rate, and in some cases separate, some of those ruckmen I listed (or missed!).

I'd probably say Dempsey, Wynd and Purser as my top 3, with Darcy, Hudson and Minson close behind.

Roughead and Boyd, while brief in their ruck careers, probably almost in that company for their 4 weeks in late 2016 alone!

Even harder to rate rucks further back in time, but Ware, Olliver, Stevens and Schultz were handy in their day as well - 2 Brownlows, a premiership
and 2 captain-coaches not a bad record, let alone B&Fs and state representation.

While Bluey was one of my all time favourites, I think Dempsey is the best I have seen (although I was only a wee lad at the time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back