Preview Round 2, 2020: GWS vs North Melbourne, Giants Stadium, Sunday June 14th 1:05pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
1590366436803.png

Now official Sunday June 14th GWS vs North Melbourne 1:05pm

Last game played ;

Round 13 North Melbourne v GWS Giants
Sunday 16 June 2019 • 3:20 PM (AEST)
Blundstone Arena - Sunday June 16th, 3:20 pm

North Melbourne 10.8.68 vs GWS Giants 14.7.91
Scores were level 45 a piece at half time with the Giants surging ahead after half time for a 23 point win
Greene 3 goals, Kelly 35 disposals & Cogs 27 disposals and 2 goals

Giants other then Taranto will have a full squad to pick from with Ward most likely slotting straight back in

Teams predicted by Fox sports May 20th

GWS GIANTS

Possible line-up ...

B: Aidan Corr, Sam Taylor, Nick Haynes

HB: Harry Perryman, Phil Davis, Zac Williams

C: Daniel Lloyd, Stephen Coniglio, Lachie Whitfield

HF: Zac Langdon, Jeremy Cameron, Matt de Boer

F: Brent Daniels, Jeremy Finlayson, Harry Himmelberg

FOLL: Sam Jacobs, Josh Kelly, Jacob Hopper

I/C: Heath Shaw, Adam Kennedy, Toby Greene, Tom Green

Callan Ward could remarkably put his hand up for an AFL recall, given the extra recovery time during the off-season. However, with a lack of match fitness and contact training, the Giants may elect to not rush the former club captain. Reigning best and fairest winner Tim Taranto will be sidelined for a few more weeks after his Marsh Series injury, but Zac Williams (Achilies) is ready to go. Sam Jacobs’ outstanding first game could keep Shane Mumford out for Round 2.

NORTH MELBOURNE

Possible line-up ...

B: Jamie Macmillan, Robbie Tarrant, Luke McDonald

HB: Jasper Pittard, Josh Walker, Shaun Atley

C: Trent Dumont, Ben Cunnington, Jared Polec

HF: Tarryn Thomas, Nick Larkey, Shaun Higgins

F: Jack Ziebell, Ben Brown, Cameron Zurhaar

FOLL: Todd Goldstein, Jed Anderson, Jy Simpkin

I/C: Majak Daw, Paul Ahern, Curtis Taylor, Aaron Hall

Illness kept Majak Daw out of the team at the beginning of the year, but the tall Roo is seemingly a certain starter for Round 2. It would be a remarkable story, following his fall from the Bolte Bridge. Despite a medial strain against the Saints, captain Jack Ziebell shouldn’t miss a game after an intense rehab program during the COVID-19 shutdown. Defender Marley Williams still has another week to serve of his suspension.

Last edited:
Hopefully they come out like they did against the Dogs and make a statement, hungry for the ball and with finals tempo

Early wins are a must, especially at home !!

So many players fit and waiting, players selected will need to be turning it on from the 1st bounce

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Will be interesting how effective a hard tag on Cunnington will work.
It's actually been quite effective in the past. Sides typically prefer to tag Higgins however.

Cummings would be stiff not to get a game.
Either everyone's auto-correct is causing chaos or everyone is thinking about horse racing and Bart Cummings.

GWS GIANTS

Round 2: North Melbourne, Giants Stadium (home), Sunday June 14 at 1:05pm

Round 3: Western Bulldogs, Marvel Stadium (away), Friday June 19 at 7:50pm

Round 4: Collingwood, Giants Stadium (home), Friday June 26 at 7:50pm

Round 5: Hawthorn, Giants Stadium (home), Sunday July 5 at 6:05pm

Pros... Only one interstate trip in this opening patch of games and it’s to Marvel Stadium which GWS has a better record at, as compared to the MCG... their Grand Final berth is rewarded with two Friday night blockbusters against arguably their biggest Victorian rival and then a rematch of last year's prelim.

Cons... A short turnaround between Round 2 and Round 3, including a flight to Melbourne... none of these four games are easy wins, given the Roos, Magpies and Hawks all won in the opening round, and the Bulldogs are expected to be better than they showed in Round 1.

1590385128865.png

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well, I guess we're going to see how well the players have gone about their individual preparation. Hopefully, they have all been 100% professional, and come out firing in this game.

Both teams might be a bit tentative given the massive break between rounds - North probably will see this as a bit of a free hit and a good time to tackle us. Hopefully, we put that thought to the sword. To that end, I wouldn't want to take any chances or play anything less than 100% - so the absolute best team that we can put on the park after the break. If anyone was a bit iffy with their training while away, should be swapped for someone who came back cherry ripe. Hopefully that matches the best team we could name anyway.

If that includes Cal & Zac, excellent; but if not, I'm prepared to wait for them to be 100% good to go. Happy to see footy's back & looking forward to this game.

It's actually been quite effective in the past. Sides typically prefer to tag Higgins however.

Either everyone's auto-correct is causing chaos or everyone is thinking about horse racing and Bart Cummings.
Auto correct gets me on Isaac. Used to also get me with Dylan "shield" all the time.

Do we tag Higgins and Send Cogs or Hopper to go head to head with Cunnington.

Who normally gets Brown. Is it Davis? Given Brown is so athletic, would Corr be a better match up.

I like our forward line match up (most weeks really), With Cameron and Greene being such tough match ups really makes it tough for the opposition defenders if we get it coming in enough.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Great to have some games confirmed and while not the easiest draw it is not the hardest it is not the easiest draw either and i can see more upsets in this 1st block of games than would be usual
2 friday night games is significant with the 1st for Giants stadium a great sign for the club and to be hosting the Pies will ensure a large TV audience

Not sure how much of an advantage it will be but 1st up sunday game will give the team an extra day over other teams in terms of prep and also with the Roos having to get an early flight they will be up against it and i still am not that confident I could see a 2-4 goal win and as always no injuries will be a bonus

With the limited prep I can see cases of clubs not risking players with niggles and with a 5 day lead into the next game don't be surprised to see a big name miss this game and this will give layers 22-26 on the list critical roles to play throughout the season

My line up at this stage would be

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williiams Corr Kennedy
Kelly Ward Whitfield
Greene Cameron MDB
Daniels HH TOJ
Jacobs Coniglio Hopper

Taylor Langdon Perryman Cumming

I can see Ward needing more match simulation to come back in and it may provide an opportunity for any of Hately, Caldwell, Reid, Cumming to come into the side and I think with the 5 day break that would be too much for him to get up for after missing so much footy
Hoping Williams is good to go as well and cant wait for the game

Do we tag Higgins and Send Cogs or Hopper to go head to head with Cunnington.

Who normally gets Brown. Is it Davis? Given Brown is so athletic, would Corr be a better match up.

I like our forward line match up (most weeks really), With Cameron and Greene being such tough match ups really makes it tough for the opposition defenders if we get it coming in enough.

I can see MDB getting a tagging role on Higgins as he is so damaging with his disposal and with Brown i can see all 3 tall defenders Corr, Taylor and Davis spending time on him depending on how Brown is playing and the way the game is going

Hoping to see TOJ get more involved and I can see him spliting playing the relief ruck with HH which will help with this

Will be interesting how effective a hard tag on Cunnington will work. I thought Taranto was a great support to de Boer in his big tagging jobs last year. Others will no doubt want to help out.
de Boer will be extra hungry for a shot after his shoulder injury last year.

Cummings would be stiff not to get a game.

Cunners playing forward a lot more. He won the game for us against St Kilda with two goals in the last quarter. He's very good overhead and kicks straight too. Will be interesting to see how whoever plays on him handles that.

Cunners playing forward a lot more. He won the game for us against St Kilda with two goals in the last quarter. He's very good overhead and kicks straight too. Will be interesting to see how whoever plays on him handles that.

If Cunnington goes forward it will change things. He is a very good player, he will be hard to mark wherever they (you) play him.They may give him to Perryman for accountable type role (similar to the one he had on Sidebottom in the prelim), given how well Perryman went as a 2 way player on the wing in rnd , Id like to see him do that again. Any of Shaw, Taylor or Corr could probably go ok against him if plays as true forward. If is floating between mid and forward, maybe Ward, Cogs or as I said earlier Perryman has an accountable role.

Will the Roos put a heavy tag on one of our guys, if so who? Kelly and Whitfield both get a tag from time to time.

If Cunnington goes forward it will change things. He is a very good player, he will be hard to mark wherever they (you) play him.They may give him to Perryman for accountable type role (similar to the one he had on Sidebottom in the prelim), given how well Perryman went as a 2 way player on the wing in rnd , Id like to see him do that again. Any of Shaw, Taylor or Corr could probably go ok against him if plays as true forward. If is floating between mid and forward, maybe Ward, Cogs or as I said earlier Perryman has an accountable role.

Will the Roos put a heavy tag on one of our guys, if so who? Kelly and Whitfield both get a tag from time to time.

With Jacobs still out we tend not to play an out and out tagger. Won't be at all surprised to see Atley play shutdown on Whitfield though - has the pace and the endurance to go with him.

I think with Josh we just have to pray to The Footy Gods and say, you denied us the 40 games we needed, give us one back here lol.

Can just take this opportunity to say how much I love you lot bashing and terrifying those Bulldog sooks?

I don't believe in "second teams" but I love watching you lot play. Especially when you're belting those little whingers.

And I love love love Toby Greene to bits.

And I bet on you to beat Collingwood in the prelim and you won be a nice old whack.

Now do the right thing and be rusty against us lol.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Spose in 2 and 1/2 weeks you guys will have a virtually healthy list to pick from ?

Taranto out for another 6-8 weeks from media reports
Flynn (Developing ruck) on his way back from an ACL

I can see a few niggles picked up between now and then as well and seeing what the 1st few days of training with a few injuries coming from it I cant see any club being immune (Except the Lions maybe)

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Taranto out for another 6-8 weeks from media reports
Flynn (Developing ruck) on his way back from an ACL

I can see a few niggles picked up between now and then as well and seeing what the 1st few days of training with a few injuries coming from it I cant see any club being immune (Except the Lions maybe)

We're already bloody getting them. Larkey sore foot, Garner twingy hammy.😭

Can just take this opportunity to say how much I love you lot bashing and terrifying those Bulldog sooks?

I don't believe in "second teams" but I love watching you lot play. Especially when you're belting those little whingers.

And I love love love Toby Greene to bits.

And I bet on you to beat Collingwood in the prelim and you won be a nice old whack.

Now do the right thing and be rusty against us lol.
Thanks, I think we are starting to get a bit of respect from the neutrals as a club.

Toby is one of my faves

Thanks, I think we are starting to get a bit of respect from the neutrals as a club.

Toby is one of my faves

Anyone who doesn't respect the GWS culture knows nothing about footy.

Richmond built a flag side on Gold Coast refugees like Prestia, Lynch, Caddy etc.

You blokes have kept all your guns, and I can't think of any major GWS player who has played in a premiership after leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back