Unofficial Preview Round 2: Sydney vs Essendon @ SCG, Sunday June 14 3.35pm AEST

Who will win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't blame Longmire or anyone else, he obviously thought he was right to go so he started pre season early.
Didn't work out but you can't blame anybody, it's just bad luck.

sorry for my shitty language, having a bad work day

I think we have poorly managed players into their 30s i can blame the club for that, we used to seemmbetter at managing players fitness and loads imo

Go the smaller set up like r1

According to most bombers fans we are gonna get a touch up anyway

fu** me they overrate there list , yer they might get us but gee wiz they are not much of a side

id rather have our list even if buddy sits there for 3 years

Go the smaller set up like r1

According to most bombers fans we are gonna get a touch up anyway

fu** me they overrate there list , yer they might get us but gee wiz they are not much of a side
Where are you getting that from? We have a poor record at the SCG and we're nervous because even though we think we should win it's one we may well lose.

Please tell me it isn't from me stating that we're expected to finish above you this year?

We aren’t alone in players slowing after 30. Most players are done by around 32.

I am sure our own RUNVS did some analysis on the AFL board on this once, could be wrong.

Don’t want Sinclair up forward, didn’t show anything in the preseason playing forward other than being a defensive liability, didn’t really offer anything.

McLean I have barely heard of and seemed to be missing all preseason so I find it difficult to see him figuring in selections.

Heeney and McCartin it’ll have to be.

Ronke was also injured and touch n go to make this game. I think it’ll be him or Taylor for Hewett unless there are other injuries we are unaware of (I wouldn’t bet against it!).

Can’t wait for footy to be back!!

Last edited:
Hewitt will play.. who misses out? Taylor??
How about Blakey and Dawson switch between half forward and wing.. Gould in at half back?
Im keen for McInerny to hold his spot
And would be happy to see McLean get a crack in the forward line

Blakey snr said the list is wide open, so it will be very interesting what the team looks like rd 2.
Yeah, I'd let Taylor miss. Wasnt overly impressive 1st round

On Buddy, it is unfortunate that he got injured again but maybe we have to realise he will be playing in his twilight years and has been maybe the past 2 years? We did everything we could do this year to get him right and an injury has acted up again the first week back fully training. There are many reasons why this might be, including

1. Over training by swans (very unlikely due to no real training the past while)

2. Injury prone (past few years would have a case for this)

3. Getting past his best and too old (happens all the greats at some stage)

4. Or maybe it could be that he is just feeling fatigued or for whatever reason didn't follow the "Covid-19" programme like he should have and when training resumed wasn't up to scratch and injured himself accordingly which is also a possibility?

He is a great player and will go down as one of the greats of all time and rightly so but looking at the stats and facts, the past 2 years he has been more injured and getting less game time due to injuries, which leaves him in a position where he is not match fit. He may have 4 years left on his contract but I think it is crazy to suggest he will be a star for us and first name on the teamsheet and we should probably look at the long term picture, hoping he plays and can chip in with a goal or 2 but focusing on the younger players to contribute more.

Regardless of whether you agree with me here or not, we can all agree that we can't wait for round 2...footy is finally coming back!!

I thought we really lacked a key forward against the Crows. McCartin struggled to bring it to ground and Blakey couldn't impose himself. Wouldn't be against playing Sinclair, but this season I'm not overly concerned on how many games we win - would much prefer we give McCartin & Blakey experience as the 1-2 forward combo.

I thought we really lacked a key forward against the Crows. McCartin struggled to bring it to ground and Blakey couldn't impose himself. Wouldn't be against playing Sinclair, but this season I'm not overly concerned on how many games we win - would much prefer we give McCartin & Blakey experience as the 1-2 forward combo.

I would like to see a map of where McCartin wins most of his contests. He seems to do well, and impresses in those situations, but then you look at his stats and he's only had 6 touches and a goal. Maybe we need to work on keeping him anchored to the goals more so he can start winning some contests deep and impact on the scoreboard more as a forward should do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buudy's hammy thought worse than last years 9 weeker.
We might of seen the last of him tbh.

Yeah, I'd let Taylor miss. Wasnt overly impressive 1st round
Even if he outright sucked ( I don't honestly remember it was that long ago - but vague recollection he was ok-ish) wouldn't you give a new recruit with potential a couple of weeks to prove themselves? Just with an eye for the long term investment.

So Buddy's not playing, but he'll still be around imparting his wisdom and footy nous to our youngsters... he'll still have an impact imo.

16 days to go... can't wait!!! Believe we'll win, probably close but Swans by 13!!

GO THE BLOODS!!!

So Buddy's not playing, but he'll still be around imparting his wisdom and footy nous to our youngsters... he'll still have an impact imo.

16 days to go... can't wait!!! Believe we'll win, probably close but Swans by 13!!

GO THE BLOODS!!!
Precisely Kirksy!

Reid isn't that much of a loss so going forward lets be real we are developing, don't need him really.

Looking forward to our lineup now, if that means we lose a few more without Franklin, so be it. Will help us long term.

Who would you guys add to your team if a 6 player bench is a thing? I think we'd add a second ruck in Phillips and probably another midfielder

Who would you guys add to your team if a 6 player bench is a thing? I think we'd add a second ruck in Phillips and probably another midfielder

Could only see it going one of two ways. We have two highly-rated draftees who got some game time in the pre-season matches in Stephens and Gould. Debuting them in a shortened match format with shorter rotations may be seen as the ideal way to introduce them.

Or given the unusual circumstances, we may prioritise guys who are just really fit, and may be better able to handle a game after the unconventional lead-up. Guys like Fox and Clarke are two of our fittest, though I don't rate either.

Can't see anyone else getting a look-in, unless Ronke is fit. But I'd still prefer us to give McLean a crack, to see what he can do and to fill an obvious need for marking targets inside 50.

sorry for my shitty language, having a bad work day

I think we have poorly managed players into their 30s i can blame the club for that, we used to seemmbetter at managing players fitness and loads imo
I think this reflects our culture.

Our leaders are held up as examples of how to carry yourself. They are demanded to show determination, perseverance, relentlessness and an unwavering attitude of club first focus. Committing to extra training and doing more than is required - For example, to get a "solid base" in preseason, is something the club culture demands of our leaders. Buddy was trying to lift and lead as an example to the younger players and unfortunately his body has started to let him down. I see nothing at all wrong with that. In fact, it may help those younger players realise that, even for the greats, nothing is forever so you need to seize the day and grab your opportunity. You need to work hard and remain committed to achieve the level guys like Macca, Buddy and co have. The drawback is that father time waits for no man.

Our culture and how it impacts the decision making of our players, may be both a massive advantage and also sometimes a curse.

Our leaders are the driver of a club culture which relies on such a work ethic as Bud has displayed. I'm not at all upset with him pushing himself. I'm sad his body is starting to let him down and think he may need to start to re-assess how to get the most out of training without re-injury... But his drive and commitment and the example he set thsi pre-season I cannot fault or criticise... in fact, I'm the opposite and it's something I admire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back