Preview Round 2 - Adelaide v Port Adelaide @ AO Saturday 13/6 @ 7pm

How pumped are you for Saturday night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Provided everyone is available, fairly straightforward changes

Out: Stengle (suspension), Kelly, Gibbs, Frampton
In: Doedee, Hamill, McHenry, Crocker/McAdam

If we have six on the bench, I'd add Schoenberg to the mix and probably keep Frampton for limited ruck minutes only

B Brown - Talia - Doedee
HB Milera - McAsey - Laird
C Seedsman - Smith - Sloane
HF Lynch - Walker - McHenry
F Crocker - Fogarty - Murphy
R O'Brien - M. Crouch - Jones

I B. Crouch - Atkins - Davis - Hamill
I Schoenberg - Frampton
For me there are a few players that I would pass over. I am not convinced that Murphy is in our future and I am not hot on Atkins. Once Stengle has served his suspension he needs to replace Murphy. Whilst I still like Kelly I am happy to go with the youngsters and give them a shot. Your team has effectively put in 7 newbies. I count Jones, Davis, Fog, McAsey,Hamill, McHenry and Crocker as newbies. Add to that Schoenberg and Frampton. Yes a couple of those newbies have played a few games but they are so inexperienced. But, again I like exposing the newbies. And we still have more to try. One hell of an exercise to get games into ALL of these youngsters.

For me there are a few players that I would pass over. I am not convinced that Murphy is in our future and I am not hot on Atkins. Once Stengle has served his suspension he needs to replace Murphy. Whilst I still like Kelly I am happy to go with the youngsters and give them a shot. Your team has effectively put in 7 newbies. I count Jones, Davis, Fog, McAsey,Hamill, McHenry and Crocker as newbies. Add to that Schoenberg and Frampton. Yes a couple of those newbies have played a few games but they are so inexperienced. But, again I like exposing the newbies. And we still have more to try. One hell of an exercise to get games into ALL of these youngsters.
Atkins was BOG against Sydney.

If we have six on the bench, I'd add Schoenberg to the mix and probably keep Frampton for limited ruck minutes only

B Brown - Talia - Doedee

I Schoenberg - Frampton
Nice side.

Only differences I had were Sholl for Hamill & McAdam for Crocker... but these are line ball.

Unfortunately I reckon they'll pick the fittest group.

You all know what that means

Rat was one of our best in R1.

Always find it amusing how B Smith continues to fly under the radar. He was utterly putrid in R1. No doubt in the next few weeks he’ll kick his 60m running goal and he’ll remain a darling for the season.

Rat was one of our best in R1.

Always find it amusing how B Smith continues to fly under the radar. He was utterly putrid in R1. No doubt in the next few weeks he’ll kick his 60m running goal and he’ll remain a darling for the season.
He did spend half the game off the field.....

Even if he had literally a full half off he still got 7 possessions for the half he was on, as a mid.

He was poor. He’s the most overrated player on the list
If your only tool is a hammer, you see every problem as a nail

Smith has suffered post-knee by shuffling IMO. Milera and at times Mackay have been used in that half back role and we've tried Smith further up the field and even forward alongside his time at half back. Trying to inject some life and speed in our most dormant areas. One of our only players with speed and a penetrating kick. Seriously it's probably a list of one.

It hasn't worked and perhaps we'll need to accept that Smith is a half back flanker only without the variety of skills to pinch hit.

Our inability to utilise Smith and Milera as a back half/wing springboard has shown how tactically bereft our coaching group has become. Sure they aren't great defensively but GWS at times had Williams, Whitfield, Shaw in their back half/across the wing who offer more offensively than defensively. We display slavish devotion to the safe Brown, Laird, Kelly combo instead of exploring ways to make us a more dangerous team.

If your only tool is a hammer, you see every problem as a nail

Smith has suffered post-knee by shuffling IMO. Milera and at times Mackay have been used in that half back role and we've tried Smith further up the field and even forward alongside his time at half back. Trying to inject some life and speed in our most dormant areas. One of our only players with speed and a penetrating kick. Seriously it's probably a list of one.

It hasn't worked and perhaps we'll need to accept that Smith is a half back flanker only without the variety of skills to pinch hit.

Our inability to utilise Smith and Milera as a back half/wing springboard has shown how tactically bereft our coaching group has become. Sure they aren't great defensively but GWS at times had Williams, Whitfield, Shaw in their back half/across the wing who offer more offensively than defensively. We display slavish devotion to the safe Brown, Laird, Kelly combo instead of exploring ways to make us a more dangerous team.
All valid points that I won’t argue.

My issue with Smith is his career generally. It’s been disappointing but has gone under the radar.

He’s a No11 pick who, in his early days, shaped as a steal at that pick. A damaging, creative and offensive half back who becomes AA after just 3 years from memory.

He’s flatlined since then. Never repeated that season, routinely goes missing in big games and has had his career stats padded by taking kick outs to himself then kicking 60m to a contest on the boundary.

Yes he’s had the knee recon, although I think the concussions early in the season following his AA year were arguably more detrimental to his career.

At his best he’s proved that he is an elite AFL footballer, but unfortunately we’ve only ever seen patches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't wanna take the bait.......
So questioning a BF luvvy is laying bait?

Ok let’s put it another way. Do you think his career has reached full potential, given his 2014?

Career average of 18.7 possessions a game, with probably 3 of those on kick outs.

We took too long to transition Brodie Smith to the midfield.

I think it's a bit early to judge based on one game and a few pre-season hitouts, but he's 28 years old. He should have been in there 3-4 years ago, after Dangerfield left and we traded for Seedsman and drafted Milera.

He's been a solid half back for us, I think we've gotten good value from him there and perhaps more if he didn't go down with an ACL. But we also could have had more if we weren't so stubborn

I think it's a bit early to judge based on one game and a few pre-season hitouts, but he's 28 years old. He should have been in there 3-4 years ago, after Dangerfield left and we traded for Seedsman and drafted Milera.

He's been a solid half back for us, I think we've gotten good value from him there and perhaps more if he didn't go down with an ACL. But we also could have had more if we weren't so stubborn
Good point - I recall him talking in media about wanting a mid spot back in 2015. I think the concussions came at a bad time for him. Was in ripping form early 2015.

No question he’s been serviceable

I hate to keep laying the boot into Campo, but this reflects extremely poorly on him. He literally ran the midfield that entire time. A midfield consistently critized for its lack of footskills and line breaking leg speed (literally Brodie Smiths Elite 2 traits).

And as you alluded to, Hamish did nothing but fill the team with quality HBF options during that time to make this switch happen!

EDIT: Actually I change that statement, I love laying the boot into Campo!

I hate to keep laying the boot into Campo, but this reflects extremely poorly on him. He literally ran the midfield that entire time. A midfield consistently critized for its lack of footskills and line breaking leg speed (literally Brodie Smiths Elite 2 traits).

And as you alluded to, Hamish did nothing but fill the team with quality HBF options during that time to make this switch happen!

EDIT: Actually I change that statement, I love laying the boot into Campo!

It is kinda amazing in hindsight that we decided to replace Dangerfield, our most explosive and damaging midfielder, with... no one?

We didn't draft or trade for a single direct replacement and didn't make any major changes in the team either.

It is kinda amazing in hindsight that we decided to replace Dangerfield, our most explosive and damaging midfielder, with... no one?

We didn't draft or trade for a single direct replacement and didn't make any major changes in the team either.

Players like Danger aren't exactly common, given he's the only player I've ever seen with that combo of size and speed. All our midfield KPI's increased in 2016 as well. The only players who potentially could have filled this area in the last few drafts would be Worpel or Tim Kelly.

The proposed 6 man bench probably suits us as can play a 2nd ruckman/forward & get more games into kids.

This is without seeing it in action, but I genuinely wouldn't be opposed with a 6 man bench staying in the AFL post COVID-19.

Players like Danger aren't exactly common, given he's the only player I've ever seen with that combo of size and speed. All our midfield KPI's increased in 2016 as well. The only players who potentially could have filled this area in the last few drafts would be Worpel or Tim Kelly.

Replacing Danger like for like was always going to be difficult but what gets me most is we didn't even seem to try.

Apart from an optimistic gamble on Curtly Hampton we didn't draft or trade for an inside/out midfielder.

We also didn't make any changes to the team. Didn't try Smith as a mid. Started Milera in the forward line. Were there any other changes we could try? Lyons with more midfield minutes? Atkins? Play Greenwood earlier? Wigg?

We chose to roll out Sloane, Crouches, Thommo and Douglas as if that combo would cover it

Replacing Danger like for like was always going to be difficult but what gets me most is we didn't even seem to try.

Apart from an optimistic gamble on Curtly Hampton we didn't draft or trade for an inside/out midfielder.

We also didn't make any changes to the team. Didn't try Smith as a mid. Started Milera in the forward line. Were there any other changes we could try? Lyons with more midfield minutes? Atkins? Play Greenwood earlier? Wigg?

We chose to roll out Sloane, Crouches, Thommo and Douglas as if that combo would cover it
To be fair, that did work for us in 17 largely.

But after the GF we needed to switch it.

I mean I'll argue to the cows come home that Lyons with more midfield minutes is a poor answer to this, though I do agree, we could have been much more creative than just assuming that Sloane would just replace that output (even though, he did come close until it was learned he was ill-equipped to handle the tag). Even the initial spike in performance was more showing how horribly misused Dangerfield was and how the rest of our midfield had the attitude of "don't worry, Danger will do it" instead of taking ownership.

We pretty much gambled our forward line would cover whatever midfield weaknesses we had and whilst we came close, it took near-ideal conditions to get there and was exploitable once it showed any weakness (i.e. we needed all of Tex, Jenkins, Betts, Cameron and McGovern fit for it to work, which is why you see such a discrepancy in win rate when the most injury prone of that lot gets injured). The second we hit a team in finals who hadn't forfeited the Thursday prior to the match, we folded once our shot was absorbed (I do reckon if we kick 6.1 instead of 4.3 in the first quarter of the grand final, we end up winning though, but that's more an argument of how the little things in a football game can snowball).

B Brown - Talia - Doedee

I Schoenberg - Frampton

Yep dont mind this.
I feel Kelly is unlucky and depending on matchup maybe should replace Brown (and yes I do rate Brown but if theres no genuine opposition small forward id prefer Kelly).
If we had 6 on the bench id 100% have him over Frampton.

Back