Preview AFL Returns - Round 2: North Melbourne vs GWS @ Giants Stadium - changes/prematch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Disagree, reckon Hall one of the first picked on his attributes.

Got us going in the second half.
I reckon if you're going to beat GWS you have to take them on and give them some threats to worry about and keep them at least a bit honest. Always a spot for someone with Hall's attributes IMO.

His best and worst are too far apart imo.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Surprised by the Wood selections. Haven't seen him do anything this year to warrant being picked ahead of Walker/Daw down back, or Larkey/Xerri up forward.

It’s hard to see Wood earning a miraculous recall. Same with Tyson. Not to say either can’t get in at some point, but they’d be coming from the clouds right now.

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Come on man, Tom Murphy is the second coming. Elite HBF distributor. He got 14 disposals in a game once!.

Nothing against Tom and he may well turn out a decent player but at this point he's yet to prove he's anything but a (very) poor man's Bread McKenzie. He was rookie drafted as an overager so he's already 22.
You think Murphs has to work harder to earn a crust?

I reckon if you're going to beat GWS you have to take them on and give them some threats to worry about and keep them at least a bit honest. Always a spot for someone with Hall's attributes IMO.

Hall, Higgins & Jy / Thomas to keep them vaguely honest while Teffy's grinder does the rest. We had zero polish last year and it left them with nothing to lose by risky behaviour.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Come on man, Tom Murphy is the second coming. Elite HBF distributor. He got 14 disposals in a game once!.

Nothing against Tom and he may well turn out a decent player but at this point he's yet to prove he's anything but a (very) poor man's Bread McKenzie. He was rookie drafted as an overager so he's already 22.

Classic "tweener" hurdle to overcome, but boy, does he weight a nice pass.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Pittard Taz Jmac
Atley Walker Lmac
Dumont Higgins Polec
Taylor Larkey Zurhar
Thomas brown simpkin
Goldie Cunners Jed
Jz, Hall, Wood, Bonar

pretty strong 22 and at least another 4-5 who I would have no issue putting in over the following weeks to rotate. Win 3 out of the next 4 and I reckon we finish pretty high up.

That will go pretty close. Wood & Bonar the obvious question marks.

It’s hard for Wood to do anything when he wasn’t picked in the round 1 team and we’ve been in lockdown since.
That’s what’s amusing

the best part is even if he did play a preseason game and well it would be dismissed as a preseason game

you can really only judge on home and away games which wood played 18 of last year as the third tall and did a decent job in tandem with Larkey and Brown

I’d have Wood in still

That’s what’s amusing

the best part is even if he did play a preseason game and well it would be dismissed as a preseason game

you can really only judge on home and away games which wood played 18 of last year as the third tall and did a decent job in tandem with Larkey and Brown

I’d have Wood in still

He's clearly on the outer but if we're about winning games next week, which IMHO we should be every single year at this time of the year then I think he should be in the team as well.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
It’s hard for Wood to do anything when he wasn’t picked in the round 1 team and we’ve been in lockdown since.

Exactly. He wasn’t in the top 26 (27 if you allow for Durdin coming into the emergencies for Garner) for Rd 1 and he’s had no chance to impress since. He’s no hope for Rd 2.

He's clearly on the outer but if we're about winning games next week, which IMHO we should be every single year at this time of the year then I think he should be in the team as well.
That’s the bit that’s strange is how he went from clearly best 22 to somehow on the outer between end of last year and start of this year

and it’s not like we recruited anyone to fill his role we just randomly chose to not play him

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That’s the bit that’s strange is how he went from clearly best 22 to somehow on the outer between end of last year and start of this year

and it’s not like we recruited anyone to fill his role we just randomly chose to not play him

Curtis Taylor took that third tall roving forward slot instead of him no?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Curtis Taylor took that third tall roving forward slot instead of him no?

Maybe now. But I think we were banking on Zurhaar & Ziebell. Personally I think Wood was one extra mid too many in that lineup, Z was killing it and we weren't going to dump the captain. I get it, but this is the list we have as of today and we should use it as best we can. Given Zurhaar has looked proppy this pre season I reckon we should play a fit Wood if the balance is right.

Last year the forward line was
HF: Ziebell/Thomas Larkey Wood
F: Zurhaar Brown Turner

we essentially decided over the summer to go smaller and play an extra mid like Hall over Wood

theres an argument either way about the structure, woods very athletic and has more stamina then anyone in the list so I’m not sure it’s the right move leaving him out

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Last year the forward line was
HF: Ziebell/Thomas Larkey Wood
F: Zurhaar Brown Turner

we essentially decided over the summer to go smaller and play an extra mid like Hall over Wood

theres an argument either way about the structure, woods very athletic and has more stamina then anyone in the list so I’m not sure it’s the right move leaving him out

I’m happy with Curtis and Hall in... and also wouldn’t mind wood either as has that something diff but can’t play them all and need to put in small fwd too once we have one good enough

I’m happy with Curtis and Hall in... and also wouldn’t mind wood either as has that something diff but can’t play them all and need to put in small fwd too once we have one good enough

It comes down to Hall vs Wood

do you want the extra marking power or do we want more pace

last year it worked well with wood plusLarkey and brown so for me it’s more of if it ain’t broke

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It comes down to Hall vs Wood

do you want the extra marking power or do we want more pace

last year it worked well with wood plusLarkey and brown so for me it’s more of if it ain’t broke

Oh a fit and firing Hall I really rate. He has something diff to offer.... I would always fine a spot for him and he looks ready based off sympkin video.... I’d fit them both in

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
that's where the coach comes in, a good teacher get the best out of a student.......

Halls 29 years old. If he’s still a student then he’s in trouble.

I’m not ragging on the bloke, he’s loaded with talent but for whatever reason he hasn’t been able to produce it consistently.

It’s up to him now imo. He’s got more ability then half the players in the comp. If he doesn’t reach his potential it’s on him. Not his coaches. I’m aware he’s had mental demons to deal with and that sucks. If that’s what’s held him back then it’s no different (In football output) to a player struggling because of a dodgy knee, ankle, back etc. end result is the same, if you can’t compete at a high standard at the highest level then it’s just the way the cookie crumbles.

As for the people saying why the Tyson love from some for me at least it’s due to him being a ready made mid with similar attributes to Jacobs

and we desperately need a tagger/run with player that can also win clearances which we have lacked since the prelim years with BJ

instead we get to watch the oppos best mid dominate us each week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back