Unofficial Preview Round 2: Sydney vs Essendon @ SCG, Sunday June 14 3.35pm AEST

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The kids? Heens, Mills, Dawso, Hewy, Paps.
The big guns? Heens, Mills, Dawso, Hewy, Paps.

Wait.

Those five are very nearing their ineligibility for the 'kids' card. I'd argue Heeney & Hewett particularly are already past that point.

naismith plays like round 1 he will murder the dons, big test to back it up
Especially after the long break! But I'm backing him... just having him there will make a difference to the way we play :)

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Is anyone else keen to see McLean get a game?
16 games in 16 weeks, reckon Naismith needs support. Allir can help but is Horse wanting him to play that role.
Reid is out who would normally play 2nd ruck, and Buddy is out leaving McCartin and Blakey as talls. Im not sold on Sinkers and think they'll probably look to develop younger players.
McLean showed a lot in his first few games last year, and I think he was in a moon boot late in the pre-season which may be why he wasn't there in round one.
Armatey is another potential.

16 games in 16 weeks, reckon Naismith needs support. Allir can help but is Horse wanting him to play that role.
Reid is out who would normally play 2nd ruck, and Buddy is out leaving McCartin and Blakey as talls. Im not sold on Sinkers and think they'll probably look to develop younger players.
McLean showed a lot in his first few games last year, and I think he was in a moon boot late in the pre-season which may be why he wasn't there in round one.

Not particularly and not as a second ruck. Haven’t we been down this two ruck thing- Naismith needs to ruck full time anyway. I’d rather Sinclair forward anyway if pushed anyway. I’d rather neither him or McLean.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Honestly if Buddy's absence means Horse has no choice but to leave Heeney deep forward then it may be the biggest blessing in disguise.
I'd rather Heeney played as a deep forward as well. I fear Heeney around the arc and pushing up the ground. The less space he's given the better.
What's the likelihood of Sinclair being played at FF? I'm hoping we play Hooker forward but if Sinclair plays forward that might not eventuate.

I still have high hopes for McLean but as a kpd and not as a Fwd/Ruck. He reads the play very well and is very tough and a decent mark. Disappointed to read he was in a moon boot at some stage of pre-season.

I'd rather Heeney played as a deep forward as well. I fear Heeney around the arc and pushing up the ground. The less space he's given the better.
What's the likelihood of Sinclair being played at FF? I'm hoping we play Hooker forward but if Sinclair plays forward that might not eventuate.

I can't agree re Heeney. The guy is a freak around goals. His goal-sense is unmatched in our side, even by Buddy. Around the arcs he's proven to be a handy marking target but it doesn't translate to scoreboard impact. He can be a genuine match-winner for us if left one-out with an opponent who will inevitably have less tricks in the bag.

I wouldn't have Sinclair in the side, but Horse might see it differently. Or maybe he'll stick with the forward line that functioned reasonably well in round 1. Who knows.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I can't agree re Heeney. The guy is a freak around goals. His goal-sense is unmatched in our side, even by Buddy. Around the arcs he's proven to be a handy marking target but it doesn't translate to scoreboard impact. He can be a genuine match-winner for us if left one-out with an opponent who will inevitably have less tricks in the bag.

I wouldn't have Sinclair in the side, but Horse might see it differently. Or maybe he'll stick with the forward line that functioned reasonably well in round 1. Who knows.
Has Heeney ever been soundly beaten by an opponent? I'm looking for some kind of comparison to that player among our own defenders.
We've been using Ambrose to run with high quality attacking players because he's massive and has a huge tank, but where Heeney is clever Ambrose is meat and potatoes. I've been thinking Redman who is talented and tough, but not sure.

Has Heeney ever been soundly beaten by an opponent? I'm looking for some kind of comparison to that player among our own defenders.
We've been using Ambrose to run with high quality attacking players because he's massive and has a huge tank, but where Heeney is clever Ambrose is meat and potatoes. I've been thinking Redman who is talented and tough, but not sure.

I don't think Heeney's played a poor game in his career tbh, though he's lacked the consistency in terms of producing his best footy. Logistically speaking he's a nightmare for a direct opponent. He's as good in the air as he is on the ground, strong as an ox, and can make a goal out of nothing. Sounds like Redman would be better suited on Heeney if he's gonna be played as FF. If he's just a general forward who will float up the ground to get involved, then that's a different story. Ambrose could possibly beat Heeney by simply working him over all over the field and beating him down contest-by-contest.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I still have high hopes for McLean but as a kpd and not as a Fwd/Ruck. He reads the play very well and is very tough and a decent mark. Disappointed to read he was in a moon boot at some stage of pre-season.
On the swans website - player profiles - McLean - latest - it was a video that played after the neafl review rd 15. Highlights from that game. McLean featured heavily, kicked three and took a few pack marks and goal assists aswell.. Definitely showed potential as a tall forward. Its a bonus that he can help out Naismith in the ruck

On the swans website - player profiles - McLean - latest - it was a video that played after the neafl review rd 15. Highlights from that game. McLean featured heavily, kicked three and took a few pack marks and goal assists aswell.. Definitely showed potential as a tall forward. Its a bonus that he can help out Naismith in the ruck

As I said earlier in the thread, kicked multiple goals in 7 of 11 NEAFL games. Not dominant, but a pretty impressive showing for his first year. I'm not sure why an injury he might've had during the pre-season games would mean he doesn't have a red hot crack at a potential spot in the senior team now. Would like us to find out what we're working with in McLean now while the opportunity is there.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

If McLean can build his tank he is going to be quite a good player. Last year when he played he got around 11 or 12 disposals a match, but most of those disposals were in the first half. After the first half he got only a couple of disposals. If he can run out games he could be pushing for 20 disposals a match which is a great number for a guy who plays in the role he does.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

Pretty sure Amartey got injured not so long ago too. Not sure where he is at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back