Club History The Carlton GOAT - NOW VOTING!

Who was better?

• Bruce Doull

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Stephen Silvagni

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw the entirety of their careers and both get a huge tick for reliability and consistency. Mark wasn’t a natural footballer but he certainly mastered the skills and became a huge influence from CHF. Bruce just did everything better than most players I’ve seen and was a sensational one on one player (Possibly unmatched when I think of all those I’ve seen). Robbo’s my hero but Bruce is the best player I’ve seen representing Carlton. If I could have played like him I would have been a great of Australian Rules football.

I’ve told these stories elsewhere but they’re worth another run.

Bruce’s great mate at Carlton was John O’Connell. Bruce was from Jacana and John from Glenroy so that’s where the bond started. It may be urban legend but they were inseparable off the field. Many times they were seated at the bar and it was said that the only words that passed their lips was “your shout”.

Another great anecdote relates to the third leg of the stool when it came to Bruce and John. Another Glenroy boy who was great mates with both. He had the height to play footy but not the ability and so he became a rabid Collingwood supporter. One of the funniest people I have ever met who became a university professor. But I’ve digressed. His younger brother was a great mate of mine. When we were at high school he told me that he was watching TV after school when there was a knock at the door. He opened the door and there was Bruce with his famous white fur Russian hat. At this stage (probably around 1974) Bruce was already a well established footballer. Already a premiership player. Bruce quietly asked him if his older brother was home. My mate said no but he wasn’t far away and he invited Bruce in to wait for him. Bruce declined and said he would wait outside. So that’s what he did. He sat on the front porch waiting for the third leg to come home. I love that story.

I saw the entirety of their careers and both get a huge tick for reliability and consistency. Mark wasn’t a natural footballer but he certainly mastered the skills and became a huge influence from CHF. Bruce just did everything better than most players I’ve seen and was a sensational one on one player (Possibly unmatched when I think of all those I’ve seen). Robbo’s my hero but Bruce is the best player I’ve seen representing Carlton. If I could have played like him I would have been a great of Australian Rules football.

I’ve told these stories elsewhere but they’re worth another run.

Bruce’s great mate at Carlton was John O’Connell. Bruce was from Jacana and John from Glenroy so that’s where the bond started. It may be urban legend but they were inseparable off the field. Many times they were seated at the bar and it was said that the only words that passed their lips was “your shout”.

Another great anecdote relates to the third leg of the stool when it came to Bruce and John. Another Glenroy boy who was great mates with both. He had the height to play footy but not the ability and so he became a rabid Collingwood supporter. One of the funniest people I have ever met who became a university professor. But I’ve digressed. His younger brother was a great mate of mine. When we were at high school he told me that he was watching TV after school when there was a knock at the door. He opened the door and there was Bruce with his famous white fur Russian hat. At this stage (probably around 1974) Bruce was already a well established footballer. Already a premiership player. Bruce quietly asked him if his older brother was home. My mate said no but he wasn’t far away and he invited Bruce in to wait for him. Bruce declined and said he would wait outside. So that’s what he did. He sat on the front porch waiting for the third leg to come home. I love that story.
...so was it a story or it actually happened?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PLUS....Kryptonite aint got nothin on HIM

Liked for the use of Reverential Capitalisation when referring to a footballer, can't be any higher praise:D

Cleaned up more Than one legend of the afl (unbelievable c.v.) Yet never gets mentioned as the next legend of the afl. Travesty. Carlton should be getting busy lobbying for him, Just like the media do for their favorites (Carey and dunstall).

Eddie and his media mates are still salty that no Collingwood players were in the AFL team of the century and that Carlton had 6 ;)

We’ve been paying for it ever since we’ve had no shots in the locker from 2002.

Bloody low life bahagearse ...hope one of our players fixed him up eventually
Brilliant. So funny to me the little cheeky Budgie tossing it. Caused quite a harakus :D ,Lou Richards commentary classic!

Didn't fluster the GREAT MAN though, how was the kick to a bolting Sheldon coming out !! Don't break stride son :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Back