Alan Jones Retires

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Allan Jones being on air was about Alan Jones being able to enhance his financial position by using the vehicle of the 2GB to further his vested interests by wielding enormous power.

His connections to the thoroughbred industry are sleazy and money driven. During the 2007 EI outbreak, all the studs in Australia were quarantined - no movement of horses in and out of the farms except for a few very large, conglomerate type breeding studs in the Hunter Valley where mares could move between those studs and one of the greatest beneficiaries of these "relaxation" of the laws, was his mate John Massara's Arrowfield Stud where Jones was a large share holder in the champion stallion Redoutes Choice who served 169 mares at $330,000 a pop ($55,770,000 in total) during the "quarantine period". All other studs Australia wide suffered immeasurably from the outbreak of Equine Influenza and the rules as to the movement of horse enacted by the Minister at the time, Peter McGauran, who was the Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry and some studs never recovered and they went under.

Guess who was the Minister responsible for the gutting of the AQIS at the time? Why the same Peter McGauran! He was responsible for the massive cuts to the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Services and as a result, EI was not detected when it entered the country and allowed to spread. Peter McGauran was and still is one of Alan Jone's buddies and guess what Peter McGauran did when he left Parliament? He was appointed CEO of Racing Australia! If that is not one of the biggest scandals ever, then nothing is but who was going to be outraged? Allan Jones, the Murdoch press?

Peter McGauran, John Massara and Peter V'landys amongst a host of others, have been great beneficiaries of Alan Jones's patronage over the years and they in turn, have assured that Alan Jones continues to make a motsa from his various racing interests unfettered.

To show just what a filthy, self serving bastard Jones is, when some mining companies wanted to conduct fracking in the Hunter near his mates' studs, he freaked out and waged a war through 2GB condemning the mining companies. Think about it, Alan Jones condemning mining companies! He succeeded in stopping them.

If we had a half decent press in this country that undertook real investigative journalism without fear or favour, then Alan jone's mate Peter V'landys would be in serious, serious trouble over numerous maters relating to Racing in NSW but Jone's mates are a protected species.

Alan Jones is filth.
Well that was a nice old rant and I am sure there is some truth in what you say. I lived in Sydney during the 80's and into the 90's and Jones was a high flier back in those days and fairly wealthy even by then. He is well known to be a workaholic and got by with very little sleep. He no doubt had very powerful contacts and used these to his own benefit...as you do. It is interesting what you say but I have had a very short association with horse racing working for a well known bookie. Horse racing is a close knit group and their is big money involved I could tell you some stories but not on this forum. You blame the Murdoch press but what about 4 Corners The ABC ...have they looked into this. They love these type of "so called" scandals.
Lastly one of my pet gripes regarding the modern media and especially some not all of these radio announcers is that they use it to spew forth "their" opinions...and they range from all ends of the spectrum....You know who they are. Just remember poor old Jonesy is 79 he has been in the money making business for a long time and yes he has made a motsa...there is some truth in what you say but their are two sides to every coin. Maybe Jones is smarter and better connected than you and has made a buck. I can honestly say I have NEVER listened to him on the radio.

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep he sounds like a real dreamboat to work with.
I think even you would have picked up the nuance of humor in this tape...outtakes etc. The job of sitting in front of a microphone must be excruciatingly boring.
These outtakes show the otherside of the production...the human side. Bit of a laugh if you ask me and even though you are attempting to show us a dark side of the man you really have exposed a very funny side of Jones.

Simple logic and insight. Never interested in following parrots.
When you are right more often than not, you do well. It also brings out the usual frustration in regulation haters.

Example of why he was courted by both major parties.

Courted but couldn't even get preselected.

LOL.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
I think even you would have picked up the nuance of humor in this tape...outtakes etc. The job of sitting in front of a microphone must be excruciatingly boring.
These outtakes show the otherside of the production...the human side. Bit of a laugh if you ask me and even though you are attempting to show us a dark side of the man you really have exposed a very funny side of Jones.
OK, that’s your take on it.

I’ve actually worked in live media and sure know how tense it can get.

And the true personality types certainly reveal themselves when the pressure’s on.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
Well that was a nice old rant and I am sure there is some truth in what you say. I lived in Sydney during the 80's and into the 90's and Jones was a high flier back in those days and fairly wealthy even by then. He is well known to be a workaholic and got by with very little sleep. He no doubt had very powerful contacts and used these to his own benefit...as you do. It is interesting what you say but I have had a very short association with horse racing working for a well known bookie. Horse racing is a close knit group and their is big money involved I could tell you some stories but not on this forum. You blame the Murdoch press but what about 4 Corners The ABC ...have they looked into this. They love these type of "so called" scandals.
Lastly one of my pet gripes regarding the modern media and especially some not all of these radio announcers is that they use it to spew forth "their" opinions...and they range from all ends of the spectrum....You know who they are. Just remember poor old Jonesy is 79 he has been in the money making business for a long time and yes he has made a motsa...there is some truth in what you say but their are two sides to every coin. Maybe Jones is smarter and better connected than you and has made a buck. I can honestly say I have NEVER listened to him on the radio.
I have been involved in thoroughbred racing for many, many decades, ever since we cut a hole in one of the fences to the Cheltenham racecourse which my high school was next to and we used to wag school to go to the mid week meetings. In those days, the mid week meetings attracted so many people that those numbers would dwarf any Saturday Metro meeting these days in Sydney and Melbourne; Adelaide is is completely dead.

I have owned a number of racehorses in partnership with others and bred a number of them personally and with friends and associates. During EI, my darling mare was on a stud farm in North West Victoria which was her home and she was in love with a Stallion up there so she was alright. She had 7 foals, 6 raced and they were all winners and when I retired her from breeding, she spent the rest of her life at the farm being a nanny for the first time mums up there - she had a cracking good life!

I also was in partnership with some very close friends in two broodmares at the time who resided at a private farm in Victoria with a husband and wife team who were also part of our partnership and had been with horses all their lives. These girls were due to foal down in late August, early September, and were booked into a stallion called Not A Single Doubt standing, ironically, at one of the studs in the Hunter that had "relaxed" quarantine restrictions but of course, our mares weren't allowed to leave the farm so that was that. We were booked in for $12,000 a pop and the stallion went onto to stand for over $100,000. Both of our mares had thrown city winning 2yo's and one had been placed at Group 3 level as a two year old. Whilst we and many, many other broodmare owners and studs suffered, Jones and his associates cleaned up.

I could also relate some stories about the goings on in racing and breeding but that's not for these forums, however, I must say that for every one crook I have encountered in racing, there are 100 who would do anything to help those that are doing it tough. The vast majority are animal lovers but when it comes to the punt, well, that's a different story with some well-to-do trainers and their desperado mates and mates in the media doing whatever is possible to paint them as the "victims" when they get caught cheating and rorting but as you say, that's not for these forums.

As for Jones and his mates, if you shook their hands, you'd better make sure that you counted your fingers afterwards. Jones, just like Graham Richardson, used and abused their position and status to do what was in the best interests of themselves and their rantings about this that or the other, had nothing to do with what was fair and decent, but alawys to do with what was good for themselves and their narrow group of mates.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I have been involved in thoroughbred racing for many, many decades, ever since we cut a hole in one of the fences to the Cheltenham racecourse which my high school was next to and we used to wag school to go to the mid week meetings. In those days, the mid week meetings attracted so many people that those numbers would dwarf any Saturday Metro meeting these days in Sydney and Melbourne; Adelaide is is completely dead.

I have owned a number of racehorses in partnership with others and bred a number of them personally and with friends and associates. During EI, my darling mare was on a stud farm in North West Victoria which was her home and she was in love with a Stallion up there so she was alright. She had 7 foals, 6 raced and they were all winners and when I retired her from breeding, she spent the rest of her life at the farm being a nanny for the first time mums up there - she had a cracking good life!

I also was in partnership with some very close friends in two broodmares at the time who resided at a private farm in Victoria with a husband and wife team who were also part of our partnership and had been with horses all their lives. These girls were due to foal down in late August, early September, and were booked into a stallion called Not A Single Doubt standing, ironically, at one of the studs in the Hunter that had "relaxed" quarantine restrictions but of course, our mares weren't allowed to leave the farm so that was that. We were booked in for $12,000 a pop and the stallion went onto to stand for over $100,000. Both of our mares had thrown city winning 2yo's and one had been placed at Group 3 level as a two year old. Whilst we and many, many other broodmare owners and studs suffered, Jones and his associates cleaned up.

I could also relate some stories about the goings on in racing and breeding but that's not for these forums, however, I must say that for every one crook I have encountered in racing, there are 100 who would do anything to help those that are doing it tough. The vast majority are animal lovers but when it comes to the punt, well, that's a different story with some well-to-do trainers and their desperado mates and mates in the media doing whatever is possible to paint them as the "victims" when they get caught cheating and rorting but as you say, that's not for these forums.

As for Jones and his mates, if you shook their hands, you'd better make sure that you counted your fingers afterwards. Jones, just like Graham Richardson, used and abused their position and status to do what was in the best interests of themselves and their rantings about this that or the other, had nothing to do with what was fair and decent, but alawys to do with what was good for themselves and their narrow group of mates.

Good to hear you went in with your eyes open. You chose to deal with Jones & his associates, aiming to profit from that relationship - am I correct, para 3 is not clear to me.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
Good to hear you went in with your eyes open. You chose to deal with Jones & his associates, aiming to profit from that relationship - am I correct, para 3 is not clear to me.
Our partnership decided that Not A Single Doubt was the perfect stallion for our two broodmares and at the right price for a promising, up and coming stallion. As far as I know, Jones did not have anything to do with the stallion and if that stallion stood at Timbuktu, we still would have sent our mares to him and and if and when they were safely in foal, they'd be coming home ASAP.

What is the problem?

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Thank goodness the nasty, bigoted, sexist, misogynistic old Queen of the north is gone, though he's probably still grooming.
I’ll take that as meaning your side of politics is like this tonight.

F69C073D-CAA0-4528-A818-DB4B89D828F3.gif

The nightmare is nearly over for you. Alan Jones won’t have the same pull on Sky News as he did on radio.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’ll take that as meaning your side of politics is like this tonight.

View attachment 884104

The nightmare is nearly over for you. Alan Jones won’t have the same pull on Sky News as he did on radio.
His politics is irrelevant, he was a terrible man for those reason I said. Nor do I give a toss if he's gay, but his behaviour as a teacher would now be called grooming and that's considered a crime. Good riddance to filth.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
His politics is irrelevant, he was a terrible man for those reason I said. Nor do I give a toss if he's gay, but his behaviour as a teacher would now be called grooming and that's considered a crime. Good riddance to filth.
You’ll believe anything.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Alan Jones is dumb as s**t. Good riddance.

The losers to him year after year are on the scrap heap complete with your analysis - you sound like the losers in an election, be it a crayfish lunch or the big end of town.
Cleanaway could find a spot for you.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

You know people have been known to lie over this sprt of thing, e.g the allegations about Bob Hawke ( I dont believe it because Hazel wouldnt sit by, imho)

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You know people have been known to lie over this sprt of thing, e.g the allegations about Bob Hawke ( I dont believe it because Hazel wouldnt sit by, imho)
True, the story has been pretty well researched. I also used to have a relative work in a senior position in News Corp, confirmed the London story and the teacher story. Also confirmed News went out to bat for him on occasions when he got in trouble. Despicable man.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
True, the story has been pretty well researched. I also used to have a relative work in a senior position in News Corp, confirmed the London story and the teacher story. Also confirmed News went out to bat for him on occasions when he got in trouble. Despicable man.

Sounds like your source has a disciple. What did your research reveal by those on the oiher side of the argument - I lived through the times & I dont recall News owning his radio station.

Sounds like your source has a disciple. What did your research reveal by those on the oiher side of the argument - I lived through the times & I dont recall News owning his radio station.
That was the most baffling part , the amount of space news devoted to defending a competitor was ridiculous.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Speaking of well-researched, Chris Masters' excellent book "Jonestown" has some pretty tawdry revelations in it. But I don't recommend reading it. It's too long and too detailed and you end up not wanting to spend any more time in the company of this man and his world. You just feel kinda sad about the human race after a while. It would seem Alan Jones was only ever happy when he was making life a misery for someone else.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
That was the most baffling part , the amount of space news devoted to defending a competitor was ridiculous.

So News didnt employ Jones? It defended him? Did they have it correct, we've seen a bit of that lately, News correct the other mob wrong & denying it (Trump).
Remember the incident not the detail.
Happy to accept your view though.

Back