Unofficial Preview Round 2: Sydney vs Essendon @ SCG, Sunday June 14 3.35pm AEST

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thurlow
Clarke
Amerty
Bell depending contract
Fox
Stoddart
Knoll
Kennedy maybe

That’s just imo who are definitely gone

Unfortunately you could add Maibaum to that list if he can't find a crack in the senior side by this year. Unlucky bugger

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I always thought Dan Robinson got a raw deal. He wasn't a world beater by any means but was more skilful and reliable than advertised imo. Not saying keeping him would have meant much in the grand scheme of things, but he deserved being on a list more than many other players around the league.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Dan Menzel would've been handy to have on the list still in the current circumstance. A bit of experience and nous up forward amongst a bunch of young guys. Still think we should've kept him around for one more year - he was just coming good and getting fit at the end of 2019 and would've had a full pre-season to upkeep his body.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Thurlow
Clarke
Amerty
Bell depending contract
Fox
Stoddart
Knoll
Kennedy maybe

That’s just imo who are definitely gone
Thurlow - agree, we've got a good crew of half backs
Clarke - probably, we're building a long list of mids with good skills and speed..
Amartey - Likely, wouldn't be surprised if he gets another year, plays a similar position to McLean, and McLean has him beat at the moment
Bell - Yep, sadly
Fox - Hmm, not sure he's pretty handy with all the roles he can play (ultra professional off field too)
Stoddart - Yep
Knoll - not sure how hes going? think we need a second ruck though.
Kennedy - up to him

Id add..
Sinclare - out of contract and 31 next year
Ronke - he should get a chance this year, his last chance?
Paps - 2 x 1st rounders if he does
Reynolds - no idea how hes going?
Melican - Needs to improve a lot on last year, Could see the swans going with Brand and Maibaum

Can see 8-10 changes this year again

Clarke - probably, we're building a long list of mids with good skills and speed..
Amartey - Likely, wouldn't be surprised if he gets another year, plays a similar position to McLean, and McLean has him beat at the moment
Bell - Yep, sadly
Fox - Hmm, not sure he's pretty handy with all the roles he can play (ultra professional off field too)
Stoddart - Yep
Kennedy - up to him

Id add..
Melican - Needs to improve a lot on last year, Could see the swans going with Brand and Maibaum

I think fox wont get any better , too undersized and slow

melican is under the pump agree

papley - i would only trade for established players, stuff picks otherwise he can suck it up

We're in a good position with contracts as I see it - we've signed up most of the guys we need beyond this year already and the vast majority of guys off contract at year's end are expendable.

hewett about the only one need to get signed really ?

jpk wouldnt go elsewhere at this stage

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Re Menzel
I think it might have been due a shift towards forward half pressure with having a few quick forwards who can run players down. And hoping that would relieve some pressure on our mids and defence.

Re. End of 2020 delistings
I think it is still too early in the season to fully write players off. In round one, Naismith, Ronke and McInerney put in ok performances and probably surprised a few people. So there is probably going to be a few fringe players who will overperform in the remaining games.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

papley - i would only trade for established players, stuff picks otherwise he can suck it up
If Paps goes, Im liking the look of Caldwell and Hately from GWS.. both first round picks who won't get a game with the Giants. would be 21 next year and slot well into our future midfield, especially Hately (only because of his height - 190cm is what our mids will miss post JPK). That would leave another first round pick to take to the draft or trade

Agree re Paps. One of the few Swans now in his prime and playing like it. Can't afford to lose him unless we get an equivalent player back.

If Paps goes, Im liking the look of Caldwell and Hately from GWS.. both first round picks who won't get a game with the Giants. would be 21 next year and slot well into our future midfield, especially Hately (only because of his height - 190cm is what our mids will miss post JPK). That would leave another first round pick to take to the draft or trade

I do tend to think it's time for us to join in the pillages of GWS and Gold Coast.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Re Menzel
I think it might have been due a shift towards forward half pressure with having a few quick forwards who can run players down. And hoping that would relieve some pressure on our mids and defence.

Re. End of 2020 delistings
I think it is still too early in the season to fully write players off. In round one, Naismith, Ronke and McInerney put in ok performances and probably surprised a few people. So there is probably going to be a few fringe players who will overperform in the remaining games.
Yep, way too early! just a bit of fun. McInerney's contracted until 2022 - so I guess the Swans see a lot in him.. good - he played tough, clean and fast in rd 1. Ronke 6 tackles was ace - 4 inside 50 and one great chase. and it was soo good to have a ruckman again, 2 years without one was too long.
Still at least 16 games for guys to get a chance - looking forward to a few surprises

I dont want cents in the dollar with a guy on along term contract personally

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Bell - Yep, sadly
Stoddart - Yep
Kennedy - up to him

Id add..

Sinclair is contracted for 2021 and also Bell was promoted to the senior list for this season which makes me believe that he also is contracted for 2021 as per the managers instagram post, but length of his contract was never confirmed by the club.

So that means we have 27 players contracted to the club beyond this year (19 players out of contract) and 8 spaces open if the list is to be cut to 35. Also have to consider how many players we'll be required to take in the draft also.

We'll be cutting players some people don't want to get rid of if the list size drops to 35 sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back