Resource Rd 3 1970, Richmond vs Carlton , entire last quarter up online.

Remove this Banner Ad

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Not seen since its original broadcast in April 1970 on Channel 9
From my archives: It's the entire final quarter of Richmond v Carlton , Rd 3 1970 at the MCG. The return match of the 1969 Grand Final.
Now up on YouTube. Click here to view.
A reminder you can follow my Facebook account: @RFCHistorian , as well as my Twitter @rhettrospective.

From my archives: It's the entire final quarter of Richmond v Carlton , Rd 3 1970 at the MCG. The return match of the 1969 Grand Final.
A reminder you can follow my Facebook account: @RFCHistorian , as well as my Twitter @rhettrospective.

Nice!! Thanks for that!

When we got to Australia in 1967 the last quarter of the match of the round was all you saw on replay.
Didn't matter the score, last quarter only... lots of Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood and very little North, South etc

Last edited:
Great watch. Must have been some comeback from 9 goals down according to the commentators.

Some really significant names out there. Three future Carlton premiership coaches, Nicholls, Jesaulenko and Walls. Percy Jones also later coached the Blues, though without the same success.

Ted Hopkins who founded Champion Data was going around for the Blues, Graeme Bond took him apart. So he was no better at footy than he is at footy statistics.

Long time commentator Ian Robertson appeared for the Blues. He is famed among my circles for once saying on commentary when looking at the betting odds of the two teams, something like $1.20 v $4.50 words to this effect: "I can't believe those odds. Every match in league footy could be won by either team, so every match the odds should be even money both teams." I think I will die without ever getting my wish formed that day to bet against Ian Robertson. So there were a few in this Blues team who later made livings under false pretences. Big Nick of course was about as honest with money as Bernie Madoff....
...AKA Bernie Made Off.

Five future Richmond coaches played in this match, Richardson, Jewell, Bourke, Bartlett, Northey. Plus Hart and Sheedy who coached elsewhere.

Good to see an early Bruce Doull out there for the Blues patrolling the half forward line.

The other great thing to see was the two apparently full blood aboriginals appearing, very very rare for the VFL at that time and throughout the 70's. Sid Jackson for the Blues and Derek Peardon off the bench for the Tigers.

Great watch. Must have been some comeback from 9 goals down according to the commentators.

Some really significant names out there. Three future Carlton premiership coaches, Nicholls, Jesaulenko and Walls. Percy Jones also later coached the Blues, though without the same success.

Ted Hopkins who founded Champion Data was going around for the Blues, Graeme Bond took him apart. So he was no better at footy than he is at footy statistics.

Long time commentator Ian Robertson appeared for the Blues. He is famed among my circles for once saying on commentary when looking at the betting odds of the two teams, something like $1.20 v $4.50 words to this effect: "I can't believe those odds. Every match in league footy could be won by either team, so every match the odds should be even money both teams." I think I will die without ever getting my wish formed that day to bet against Ian Robertson. So there were a few in this Blues team who later made livings under false pretences. Big Nick of course was about as honest with money as Bernie Madoff....
...AKA Bernie Made Off.

Five future Richmond coaches played in this match, Richardson, Jewell, Bourke, Bartlett, Northey. Plus Hart and Sheedy who coached elsewhere.

Good to see an early Bruce Doull out there for the Blues patrolling the half forward line.

The other great thing to see was the two apparently full blood aboriginals appearing, very very rare for the VFL at that time and throughout the 70's. Sid Jackson for the Blues and Derek Peardon off the bench for the Tigers.
Harsh on Teddy who is famous for kicking four second half goals as Carlton came from 44 points down at half time to beat Collingwood in the Grand Final of that very same season.

Harsh on Teddy who is famous for kicking four second half goals as Carlton came from 44 points down at half time to beat Collingwood in the Grand Final of that very same season.

Even Josh Jenkins could have kicked those goals TIA! His four goals in the second half of the 1970 GF are, to be honest, irrelevant, because in a Collingwood v Carlton Grand Final I could not care less who wins and loses. Either way, a disgusting club will win, and a disgusting club will lose. Teddy Hopkins is credited with 29 games of league footy. Because he came off the bench in all of those he actually played exactly 4.7 games of league footy. In his own Champion Data Prospectus he would be listed as a "whatever is below 'below average' player. A crap player." Did you know Hopkins was tackled only once in his whole career at the top level? By an aisle attendant in bay 19 at the MCG, who duly threw him back onto the playing field whilst imploring him to show a bit of ticker. In the year after his momentary Grand Final impersonation of a footballer, 1971, he got two kicks for the whole season. No other disposals, just two kicks. That qualifies him for the singular record of being the only player to get half as many disposals in a season as he had goals in the previous season's Grand Final. And let me tell you TIA, you have to be exceedingly sh1t to achieve that. You watch him play, he was just like a version of Hungry Bartlett....without the Bartlett part. Do not get me started on Edward Hopkins, alleged footballer, please.

So maybe I was harsh on Hopkins in my original post, but I was fair. He was the ultimate jazz ballet dancer's footballer.

Okaaaay... quietly leaves the room.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back