Preview Rnd 2 - Carlton v Melbourne Saturday 13th June 4.35PM @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kade kicks to himself 50% of the time. So I’m not sure what the issue with his kick-ins. He dies it more than any player in the AFL. We are overreacting because 1. Were bored and need something to talk about and 2. We want the guard change and 3. The one bad decision he made v Melb last year which lost us the game but how would have Newman done in that situation. He was blind and kicked around the body to clear the congestion Melb had created. He was not to know the carlton players were downhill skiing and sitting way too forward of the contest. They should have been man on man. He did the right thing to kick to the contest 25 metres away not blast it 50 m and turn it over.
Bizarre take.

Don't be surprised if it has a bit to do with his soft tissue injury issues. I only get to see a couple of training sessions each year, but both Qld camps
have shown SPS as doing little more than walking laps. Clearly for a couple of years, he was reluctant to kick further than about 40 metres.

It makes perfect sense to have him working "behind the ball". While a decent level of fitness is required, it is a level below a high output on baller.
Russell is no mug, if SPS is prone to injury with his body not having the make up to do the work to get to the elite fitness level required to compete
for four quarters in the midfield, then why not a defensive distributor role?

Can't argue with that logic. Well said.
It may be just what the situation may be. It just 'sounds' right.

I suppose I’m trying to say I prefer Simpson to have the kick-ins because he takes the game on. He does this half the time which is what we want. Lots of players take the short kick to the pocket from other clubs. Way more than Kade does.
If there is a player that takes the short kick to the pocket option more than Simmo I'm yet to see him. Fake to the right, revert back to left side for short chip to pocket. Rinse repeat.

Weitering or Williamson would be my choices to kick in.

Can't argue with that logic. Well said.
It may be just what the situation may be. It just 'sounds' right.

It’s not unusual to develop a player in the backline. SPS is a long term player but would love to see him in the midfield from now. Put his backline mo into the midfield. Synergy between our outside midfielders and half forwards. Let’s kick some goals.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think they will . My question is do the players hear it through stadium speakers or only the tv audience?.

From all accounts it works well for the viewer. Not sure the players would like it. A tad weird playing to no people but noise blaring out of speakers? Dunno.

From all accounts it works well for the viewer. Not sure the players would like it. A tad weird playing to no people but noise blaring out of speakers? Dunno.

Thats a rehearsal room .. But on topic I’m interested to see what happens . Looking forward to the dees game. Willo for low kicking long kick outs to monster targets leading up . I hope The Navy Blues come out snarling for the whole game .

Kade kicks to himself 50% of the time. So I’m not sure what the issue with his kick-ins. He dies it more than any player in the AFL. We are overreacting because 1. Were bored and need something to talk about and 2. We want the guard change and 3. The one bad decision he made v Melb last year which lost us the game but how would have Newman done in that situation. He was blind and kicked around the body to clear the congestion Melb had created. He was not to know the carlton players were downhill skiing and sitting way too forward of the contest. They should have been man on man. He did the right thing to kick to the contest 25 metres away not blast it 50 m and turn it over.
Not in my top choices BBK there’s 3/4 players I’d have doing the kickouts...

Last edited:
A potential reason that our mids like Dow and SPS get lower possessions then there equivalents at other clubs, could be due to how Cripps, Ed and Kreuz collect the ball in the centre & throw ins. Often blindly kicking the ball forward. If they spun the ball quickly around with handball's like say the Sydney mids do, all the sudden there numbers rise and our forward entries look better.
One of my biggest frustrations watching, is seeing the blind bomb into the forward line, very rarely they come off.

Great point.
Add Walsh to that list. The blind bomb forward from stoppage is becoming a slightly worrying aspect of his game. I am hoping with more game time he will take the extra second and sum up his options rather than taking the - as you stated - rarely successful long bomb.
Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE Walsh and I’m so glad he’s in the Navy Blue. This is just one habit I’m hoping he improves.
Actually, scratch that - I know he will.

Great point.
Add Walsh to that list. The blind bomb forward from stoppage is becoming a slightly worrying aspect of his game. I am hoping with more game time he will take the extra second and sum up his options rather than taking the - as you stated - rarely successful long bomb.
Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE Walsh and I’m so glad he’s in the Navy Blue. This is just one habit I’m hoping he improves.
Actually, scratch that - I know he will.
Tell that to Richmond. This is their entire game plan. They just ensure they have more around the ball drop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell that to Richmond. This is their entire game plan. They just ensure they have more around the ball drop.
Respectfully disagree, or maybe my post was ambiguous. I meant when a mid takes the first possession from the drop of the ruck. Some of our mids grab the ball, kick long, as first instinct without looking, or perhaps it's fatigue. Richmond tend to spread fast and weave fantastic handballs at high speed. They can also kick in deep to there forwards, but generally it is done to their advantage since their quick small forwards are arriving at the drop of the ball if spoiled.
I don't mean our team does this every time, just too often for my liking.

As Russell said during his interview our endurance enables us to come back late in games. How many times did we claw back a lead in the last quarter last season? The first quarter has generally been quite ordinary. No doubt this has been addressed.
Wasn’t addressed before round 1 that’s for sure...

Respectfully disagree, or maybe my post was ambiguous. I meant when a mid takes the first possession from the drop of the ruck. Some of our mids grab the ball, kick long, as first instinct without looking, or perhaps it's fatigue. Richmond tend to spread fast and weave fantastic handballs at high speed. They can also kick in deep to there forwards, but generally it is done to their advantage since their quick small forwards are arriving at the drop of the ball if spoiled.
I don't mean our team does this every time, just too often for my liking.
Yeah this has also been a frustration of mine for a while. The first option is to kick it as far forward as possible after winning a contested possession. We should be looking to release a player in space who is running towards goal and then can make a rational decision. We are a good contested and clearance team but without the method after the first possession is taken we don’t get the bang for our buck that other teams do. I’m hoping this improves as some of our outside players come on

Yep. Kicks to himself. Runs to his left hand side and kicks short or long down the boundary.

I like Simmo. He’s still a warrior for our football club, but he should not be our designated kicker. He is not creative enough and is very set in his ways. Has also lost a bit of penetration on his kicks which limits his options.

I cannot remember a time he ‘hit up’ someone with a 40/50 metre pass down the corridor.

we have better options..

True. We were playing the reigning premiers however. Lets see how we make out for the remainder.
We also played without Betts, Marchbank, mckay, Curnow, lost kreuzer and Newman and fisher got injured during the game. Compared to them missing Houli and losing astbury to concussion. No one in the afl will get within 2 goals of Richmond with our outs. Let’s take Howe (Marchbank), Elliott (Betts), Mihocek (Curnow - not even close to comparable I know), I can’t even find another forward to take out. Then take into account the injuries Gawn, Thomas and Noble go down in game. Who would Collingwood beat? Their depth is s**t. Our VFL team beats them regularly.

I suppose I’m trying to say I prefer Simpson to have the kick-ins because he takes the game on. He does this half the time which is what we want. Lots of players take the short kick to the pocket from other clubs. Way more than Kade does.

Newman can kick 60 though....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back