FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know if Chibnall has destroyed it or not but I know I just haven't enjoyed the show since he came about, which saddens me a bit because I used to absolutely love this show back in the earlier days (of New Who that is, I've never experienced the Old Who).

I was actually enthusiastic for Jodie, but she hasn't rubbed off on me at all, whether that's because of the writing or her performance I've never quite been able to figure out. I do feel she might have been better with better direction/writing though, but without a change in the staff around her I guess I won't know.

But what would I know. Matt Smith's Doctor really grew on me, and some people would probably find that ludicrous. So eh.

Midnight is absolutely brilliant, what a crazy take.

Donna was fantastic and that season is ridiculously underrated. Have you re-watched it at all recently? When it first aired I was with you and couldn't stand it but on re-watch almost every episode is absolutely solid.

Tate was one of the best sidekicks in Dr Who history.

Better than anything that has come after her.

I don't know if Chibnall has destroyed it or not but I know I just haven't enjoyed the show since he came about, which saddens me a bit because I used to absolutely love this show back in the earlier days (of New Who that is, I've never experienced the Old Who).

I was actually enthusiastic for Jodie, but she hasn't rubbed off on me at all, whether that's because of the writing or her performance I've never quite been able to figure out. I do feel she might have been better with better direction/writing though, but without a change in the staff around her I guess I won't know.

But what would I know. Matt Smith's Doctor really grew on me, and some people would probably find that ludicrous. So eh.

I found Jo Martin's Doctor this season fantastic so I don't think there's any female issue or even possibly writing issue, so sadly it could be Jodie's performance.

Been watching the Season 14 (classic series) on blu-ray, the 5.1 Audio soundtrack to The Deadly Assassin (one of my all time favourites) is simply brilliant.

Also I never realized just how brilliant The Masque of Mandragora is, just 10/10 on every level, script, direction and acting.

It's a shame the Tom Baker era for the most part went to the shitter for the most part after Talons (aside from obvious classics like Fang Rock, Androids of Tara and City of Death) until JN-T took over in season 18.

The Elisabeth Slasen docu is brilliant and so moving as well, a truly fitting tribute to our Sarah Jane.

I've been re-watching the Pertwee era, such fun episodes.

Carnival of Monsters, Invasion of The Dinosaurs, Terror of The Autons and Inferno are my favourites from the Pertwee era.

Such a strong and consistent era, despite being loaded with 6 partners. (The Time Monster and Colony in Space are underrated)

Its somewhat ironic, given his Doctor's attitude about The.Military and Politicans, that Jon Pertwee was a massive supporter of Maggie Thatcher (ugh)

Just picked up series 12 today on Blu Ray from JB HI FI, on sale for 35 dollars. Nice (30 % off sale)

Isn't it on Stan/Netflix? I can't remember the last physical media I bought. Probably actually an animated Classic Who actually, because those aren't available on streaming and the sale helps fund them.

Isn't it on Stan/Netflix? I can't remember the last physical media I bought. Probably actually an animated Classic Who actually, because those aren't available on streaming and the sale helps fund them.

I like to purchase them as a collector and also I love the special features (esp on the classic series releases)

Just watching Talons of Weng-Chiang on the upscaled Blu-Ray/HD release, so much better than the previous grainy VHS and DVD releases.

And aside from dubious racial profiling and casting (ie a white man playing an Asian Character/Villain) Talons has to be an all time top 5 story in all of Who.

Everyone is at the top of their game in this serial , such a posh, polished script with superb directing (aside from that Giant Rat) and sublime acting all around, Jago and Litefoot are a delightful double act.

Louise Jameson never looked or played Leela better than in Talons, she was always my favourite companion growing up as a child.

En09OYQVgAEW3x0

******** that's terrible. So much cringe.

I like to purchase them as a collector and also I love the special features (esp on the classic series releases)

Just watching Talons of Weng-Chiang on the upscaled Blu-Ray/HD release, so much better than the previous grainy VHS and DVD releases.

And aside from dubious racial profiling and casting (ie a white man playing an Asian Character/Villain) Talons has to be an all time top 5 story in all of Who.

Everyone is at the top of their game in this serial , such a posh, polished script with superb directing (aside from that Giant Rat) and sublime acting all around, Jago and Litefoot are a delightful double act.

Louise Jameson never looked or played Leela better than in Talons, she was always my favourite companion growing up as a child.
Never trust a man with dirty fingernails!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BritBox a streaming service now available in Oz have Dr Who as a stand alone section

Have started on Hartnell - watched Unearthly Child and started on Daleks

As an adult its so low rent but it has its appeal

Some interesting nuggets ie John Smith and the Common Men was the band Susan listened to on her transistor radio while attending Coal Hill school

Also a few comments regarding the police box ie ''its a police box - it should have changed'' - yet I recall a later episode where Hartnell talks about the chameleon circuit

*seems you can't use the shortened version of a radio

Last edited:
BritBox a streaming service now available in Oz have Dr Who as a stand alone section

Have started on Hartnell - watched Unearthly Child and started on Daleks

As an adult its so low rent but it has its appeal

Some interesting nuggets ie John Smith and the Common Men was the band Susan listened to on her ****** while attending Coal Hill school

Also a few comments regarding the police box ie ''its a police box - it should have changed'' - yet I recall a later episode where Hartnell talks about the chameleon circuit
Been waiting for something like this. What’s a subscription worth?

Thanks for the heads up GreyCrow

Just signed up, and starting with my nostalgic favourite, Jon Pertwee.

Feels so good to see some of these episodes that I haven’t seen in 15+ years.
Cheers

Started with Hartnell

Will get to Pertwee in a few weeks

My friend likes Vera etc so it gets used a bit

Ok so that was the Xmas special

Now I do think my observations are skewed by time and distance (pun intended) but it didnt feel special , it didnt win me. It could have been just another episode

I understand the issues they had and will continue to have but this was filmed a long time ago - so I expected 'more' Is that on me? Possibly but I could have slept a lot longer

Now I dont think the above is a spoiler as its my impressions - below I will touch on some things I did find and found of interest

Chibnall addressed the elephant in the room in a nice sequence with the Doctor and Ryan - I thought it was done well and the Doctors ' everything I thought I knew is now gone' was a direct connection with the fans who are asking the same thing

Bradley Walsh could have been played by a cardboard cutout the amount he had in this episode and the ending was twee . Apart from the interaction with Jodie - Tohsin delivered another yawn inducing performance - and yep I have also phoned in my last days at work

Yaz was the only one with any get up and go and even that seem forced and Captain Jack was ok but he would have been better with better writing around him

Again a bog standard episode that not even the Daleks could save

Lets see how this looks going forward

Ok so that was the Xmas special

Now I do think my observations are skewed by time and distance (pun intended) but it didnt feel special , it didnt win me. It could have been just another episode

I understand the issues they had and will continue to have but this was filmed a long time ago - so I expected 'more' Is that on me? Possibly but I could have slept a lot longer

Now I dont think the above is a spoiler as its my impressions - below I will touch on some things I did find and found of interest

Chibnall addressed the elephant in the room in a nice sequence with the Doctor and Ryan - I thought it was done well and the Doctors ' everything I thought I knew is now gone' was a direct connection with the fans who are asking the same thing

Bradley Walsh could have been played by a cardboard cutout the amount he had in this episode and the ending was twee . Apart from the interaction with Jodie - Tohsin delivered another yawn inducing performance - and yep I have also phoned in my last days at work

Yaz was the only one with any get up and go and even that seem forced and Captain Jack was ok but he would have been better with better writing around him

Again a bog standard episode that not even the Daleks could save

Lets see how this looks going forward

Thoughts on John Bishop as the new companion? I think he will be a much more animated companion than we got with Walsh or Cole who, I agree, were really underused. I didn't mind the ep, but the fact this is one of the GREAT Whitaker eps and would have probably been a meh/average Tennant/Smith ep says it all.

Great cast and acting but writing was a bit on the nose.

Cole was great that episode, perfect way to go out rather than playing the idiot like he has most of his run. In hindsight, 3 companions is too much to give each character justice.

John Bishop will be great value though.

Thoughts on John Bishop as the new companion? I think he will be a much more animated companion than we got with Walsh or Cole who, I agree, were really underused. I didn't mind the ep, but the fact this is one of the GREAT Whitaker eps and would have probably been a meh/average Tennant/Smith ep says it all.
I had only read about Bishop today. Looks familiar

I would have preferred leaving it as Yaz only - I feel she can hold her own

Remove this Banner Ad

Back