The Serious News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Trending with his commentary on the situation in America, basically explaining that to say lucky we're not like America is to ignore all the deaths in custody of Aboriginal Australians.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
He's 100% correct on this.
The 1st nations people here have been treated a lot worse than African-Americans & would be well within their rights to be more expressive!

The 1st nations people here have been treated a lot worse than African-Americans & would be well within their rights to be more expressive!
Indeed, not to mention their overrepresentation in prison, their significantly lower life expectancy or really any measure of quality and length of life in comparison to pretty much any other group in Australia.

Last edited:
Why "leftie agenda"?

Are you saying "righties" are racist, or just that they don't give a rat's fat clacker?

I say it's totally up to him how and where he expresses himself.

My post is regurgitating some past opinions - they are not my own

I’m always interested in how posters react when the Person of interest is from the club they support

So Chad is starting to trend
Going to be a few on this board who are going to have a tough call to make
Tough call on what? The fact that he said something that is 100% correct and that all of us as Australians should try to eradicate. If I had to go out on a limb here then I’d say that America has wide spread open racism whereas here in Australia we still have a fair bit of casual racism. On a side note I think Chad needs to either use spellcheck or go back to school 😂

On and for those that don’t know what casual racism is here you go...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why "leftie agenda"?

Are you saying "righties" are racist, or just that they don't give a rat's fat clacker?

I say it's totally up to him how and where he expresses himself.
Because parts of the right have a tendency to see attempts to speak out against racism as somehow detracting from them personally. They only way they can feel better about themselves is to delegitimise the criticism by making personal attacks and equating anti racism advocacy with an endorsement of communism. Hence ‘leftist’ being used as a derogatory term referring to people against racism (and other things they feel personally aggrieved by). This is despite the majority of people from right and left being supportive of anti racism advocacy.

Our media must be asleep at the wheel.... Can't recall that many articles about 1st nations youths here being gunned down by cops. Do share if you know?

Our media must be asleep at the wheel.... Can't recall that many articles about 1st nations youths here being gunned down by cops. Do share if you know?
Pretty sure Chad was putting more emphasis on the something like 400 odd indigenous Australians that have been killed while being held in police custody.

Trending with his commentary on the situation in America, basically explaining that to say lucky we're not like America is to ignore all the deaths in custody of Aboriginal Australians.

Phew! I was worried he was trending for some sort of crime

Pretty sure Chad was putting more emphasis on the something like 400 odd indigenous Australians that have been killed while being held in police custody.
People die in custody all the time. The fact it happens to anyone is outrageous, and this race politics is just going to fuel tensions.

People die in custody all the time. The fact it happens to anyone is outrageous, and this race politics is just going to fuel tensions.
Attended a presentation by a former Queensland police officer last year. His explanation was that cognitive bias was the cause of racial discrepancies for outcomes in custody and that if you simply continue doing the same thing with better intent you won’t change anything. So it is necessary to recognise the bias and implement strategies to get around it. So understanding the racial elements are ESSENTIAL to address the issue and any mea grip way that isn’t simply a political platitude.

Indigenous Australians make up 3.3% of the population and 28% of them are in prison. Over 420 have died while in police custody. I agree that all lives matter no matter your skin colour but the figures above show that Wingard who is using his platform as an athlete to bring this to everyone’s attention is fully warranted. The real problem is that a lot of Australians don’t feel need to talk about this because it doesn’t affect them similar to what is happening in the USA.

Are you denying the fact there is an issue in Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back