Coronavirus and Football

Remove this Banner Ad

It might tip some fans over the edge though. Especially fans of struggling teams. If you rely on football that much to give you a lift then equally it can serve to bring you crashing down
You'd hope those that have had a break from it might have seen a bit of light and detached its importance so that doesn't happen.

It might tip some fans over the edge though. Especially fans of struggling teams. If you rely on football that much to give you a lift then equally it can serve to bring you crashing down

Personally think that's pretty ridiculous but you're entitled to your opinion.

You'd hope those that have had a break from it might have seen a bit of light and detached its importance so that doesn't happen.
You’d like to think so but there’s more vulnerable people out there than ever before. This is getting away from my point but it’s something that maybe should be taken into consideration. My belief is that the season should have ended and the focus on restarting the new season probably in August and September. Let’s be honest the only reason it’s not is because of money as has been stated by most on here

You’d like to think so but there’s more vulnerable people out there than ever before. This is getting away from my point but it’s something that maybe should be taken into consideration. My belief is that the season should have ended and the focus on restarting the new season probably in August and September. Let’s be honest the only reason it’s not is because if money as has been stated by most on here

Why would the season that begins in August have any less impact on these vulnerable people than the restarted season? If they scrapped this season and relegated the bottom three clubs wouldn't that be just as distressing for these vulnerable people you're concerned about?

That’s exactly it.

Will it help some? Maybe. For most I don’t think so. I’m a massive football fan, total spurs nut but right now I have no interest at all. It just seem totally irrelevant and try as I might I can’t muster any enthusiasm. I’ll probably watch the first game out of curiosity and also to see how I feel about it then. My feelings may change we’ll see

For Leeds Utd fans, it's means a (_/**/€*##; big deal for us that we get the opportunity to win promotion, esp after losing a club legend in Norman Hunter.

Perhaps it is a bit selfish for fans to want football to return, but we could all use a bit of normality and stability in these frightening times (especially for children who are big football fans)

Am more than happy to suffer the heartbreak of Leeds bottling promotion again, rather than the entire season declared null and void, that would have been far more emotionally devastating for me personally.

You’d like to think so but there’s more vulnerable people out there than ever before. This is getting away from my point but it’s something that maybe should be taken into consideration. My belief is that the season should have ended and the focus on restarting the new season probably in August and September. Let’s be honest the only reason it’s not is because of money as has been stated by most on here
Yeah I think with it so close to when the next season was meant to kick off that would have been the best course of action. This time of year the importance of football is at its lowest in London. There's so much more to do than be at the pub or on the terraces, those same things are still available to be done this June-July even if football isn't back. I guess with no European travel for the summer it could be a welcome relief for those who would normally be hitting Spain or Portugal

I did want the season canned as well, but if they play I'll always watch.

Why would the season that begins in August have any less impact on these vulnerable people than the restarted season? If they scrapped this season and relegated the bottom three clubs wouldn't that be just as distressing for these vulnerable people you're concerned about?
I wouldn’t have relegation, that’s why I saw null and void as the most sensible option.

You can’t let football die and many clubs would be ****ed if there was no 20/21 season. Also it would have gave us ample time to prepare. The reality is though even 20/21 is far from secure and we could be back where we are now come December/January

I can see why people want a distraction. And there's also many who hold football/sport with too much importance in life which isn't healthy. Both sets of people will want football rushed back.

Whereas the others who would normally be full on into it like us just don't see the value/importance of it right now. Each to their own. But I do think this will be a bit of the new norm with crowd bans and so much going on in the world that perhaps the importance doesn't return. I hope that is not the case for those who do really want it to be that important part of their life. For me personally this has been a welcome break from sport as I've become more more distant with it, not just the EPL but sport in general. Just don't have the time for it as much as 5+ years ago
Think that's the majority of this forum to be honest, and most men aged 20-50.

I like sport, but it hasn't bothered me with it not being played.

There are many more important things in life, though I am sure many will argue that and say that's just my opinion etc.

Yeah I think with it so close to when the next season was meant to kick off that would have been the best course of action. This time of year the importance of football is at its lowest in London. There's so much more to do than be at the pub or on the terraces, those same things are still available to be done this June-July even if football isn't back. I guess with no European travel for the summer it could be a welcome relief for those who would normally be hitting Spain or Portugal
Yes my holiday to Spain has bitten the dust

I wouldn’t have relegation, that’s why I saw null and void as the most sensible option.

You can’t let football die and many clubs would be f’ed if there was no 20/21 season. Also it would have gave us ample time to prepare. The reality is though even 20/21 is far from secure and we could be back where we are now come December/January

I guess my point is the season is restarting mid-June and you seem against it but happy with it starting 6 weeks later. Guess I just don't see the difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can’t let football die and many clubs would be f’ed if there was no 20/21 season. Also it would have gave us ample time to prepare. The reality is though even 20/21 is far from secure and we could be back where we are now come December/January

You have to consider that the World Cup is only a year and a few months away, which may explain the relatively short break between this season and the next (and the WC Qualifiers to come)

Its a pretty simple equation. Return to normal life as much as is allowed by being medically safe. That goes for all facets of life, not just the sporting industry.
That is much easier to say and see possible in countries with less than 100 new cases and no new deaths a day. Which is why it doesn't feel wrong watching the NRL over the weekend. Still think the AFL season will feel a bit hollow when it returns but more okay with seeing players returning to training and games being back when cases are so low

Still roughly 2000 (new cases) and 100 (deaths) per day in the UK.

That is much easier to say and see possible in countries with less than 100 new cases and no new deaths a day. Which is why it doesn't feel wrong watching the NRL over the weekend. Still think the AFL season will feel a bit hollow when it returns but more okay with seeing players returning to training and games being back when cases are so low

Thats why we leave that stuff up to the experts.

Thats why we leave that stuff up to the experts.
Doesn't change the fact that people in that particular society where there's so many active cases and deaths don't feel comfortable regardless of what experts are saying. Motives of said experts can be questioned or not trusted. Money/economics has and will continue to put lives at risk during this pandemic

I guess my point is the season is restarting mid-June and you seem against it but happy with it starting 6 weeks later. Guess I just don't see the difference.
The curve should (providing the ease of lockdown doesn’t make it rise again) flatten more and like I said the economic factors come ever more into play. That’s the simple fact, we are probably going to have to completely reboot our economy whilst a vaccine has still not been found. Restarting this season seems pointless. It’s purely done out of greed and selfishness. Most people are not invested in what happens in the PL at this moment

The curve should (providing the ease of lockdown doesn’t make it rise again) flatten more and like I said the economic factors come ever more into play. That’s the simple fact, we are probably going to have to completely reboot our economy whilst a vaccine has still not been found. Restarting this season seems pointless. It’s purely done out of greed and selfishness. Most people are not invested in what happens in the PL at this moment

But you said you're worried people might kill themselves if football returns, what does 6 weeks difference make?

But you said you're worried people might kill themselves if football returns, what does 6 weeks difference make?
It probably doesn’t make much difference, but like I said the economy (and football is obviously part of that) has to restart sometime. If the spike returns though there is an argument not to restart though. These decisions are almost impossible to make

True, but to be fair, it’s not being proposed that football should return today. It’s about allowing the epidemiologists to model where the UK is likely to be 1, 2 or 3 months from now, and planning various scenarios based on that expert advice.

The end of the season and bad results leading to their club being relegated or missing promotion compared to the opening 2 months of a season do have different levels of stress.

I've got no idea if there's even statistics on it but I'd guess relegation would be more likely to cause suicide than losing the 5th or 6th game of a season

True, but to be fair, it’s not being proposed that football should return today. It’s about allowing the epidemiologists to model where the UK is likely to be 1, 2 or 3 months from now, and planning various scenarios based on that expert advice.
Aren't they planning to return in a couple of weeks?

Obviously if they believe it will be down to a few hundred of new cases per day with eased lockdowns then so be it. Seems like a gamble. But it can definitely come off

The end of the season and bad results leading to their club being relegated or missing promotion compared to the opening 2 months of a season do have different levels of stress.

I've got no idea if there's even statistics on it but I'd guess relegation would be more likely to cause suicide than losing the 5th or 6th game of a season

And if they void the season and relegate the teams based on current standings it's no different.

I don't think I'll be watching too much.

I'm in the office most weekends so I can look after the kids midweek. That'll change when kids are allowed to go back to school, but I can't see that happening until September. So weekend games are out, I'll probably watch the City midweek matches but not really arsed about any others.

People talk about a return to normality, but it's anything but.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back