Club History The Carlton GOAT - NOW VOTING!

Who was better?

• Bruce Doull

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Stephen Silvagni

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Kouta before the knee was an absolute gun, first on a wing then both ends of the ground until we finally put him in the middle, he stared on and beat some of the games greats in all positions such a shame he was never the same after the reco...
Up until Murph copped a couple of serious heavy collision injuries he was trekking along beautifully that and playing in an team that was light on for depth probably left too much of a burden on him, fantastic player...
Kouta was completely another level...

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
To be honest i don't think Murph has the complete makeup to be a superstar. Very good accumulator, clever....but there's significant gaps in his repertoire imo. In saying that, he does a lot right too and has been a very good Carlton player.

Kouta was as good as it gets until he did his knee which slowed him down a bit and probably played with his confidence a bit. Still had a magnificent overall career, with the peaks being up there with anyones peaks. A champion.

Koutafidimedes for the easy win.
Not sure uf you are being serious here. Marc Murphy was voted coaches association player of the year in 2011 (thats for the whole league)
Lets have a look at his b & f record.
2008 - 2nd
2009 - 2nd
2010 - 3rd
2011 - winner
2012 - injured shoulder missed 9 games
2013 - not top 10
2014 - second
2015 - second
2016 - season ending injury round 10
2017 - winner
2018 - tenth
2019 - 8th.

Clearly Kouta at his best was a force of nature. But murph's efforts over a long period (many of these bleak) should never be undersold.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
This isn’t a contest. I reckon Murph would vote for Kouta.

2000 Kouta! I’ve seen plenty of football and footballers however Anthony took footballing to a level I had not seen previously and I have not seen since. I am at a loss for words to describe how superior it was to any other footballer who has played the game.

Of course, I have a favourite game. Against Norf at Princes Park. I’m getting goosebumps reliving the memory. I was seated in the Legends Stand and during the last quarter when Kouta was making the King look like an ordinary footballer I couldn’t help myself and turned and faced a Norf supporter who wasn’t appreciating the display as much as me. Despite my urging the miserable bastard wouldn’t acknowledge what we were witnessing. A transcendental experience.

Last edited:

OnceWeWereKings

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
There was a fleeting period where Kouta was as dominant against the opposition as any player to have played the game.

Like Judd, when injuries curtailed his generational athleticism he transformed himself into an inside beast.

Only supreme players have two completely different bites of the cherry within a singular AFL career and excel at both.

Probably unfairly, but to me Murphy represents the worst period of our history.
He’s burdened by this failure.
For me, I can’t love everything in a time I have hated.

Kouta was a shooting star. Burned as bright as any.

Different eras, different teams. Murph had some great games but Kouta was considered a prototype for what was to follow. He probably changed the game as far as tall midfielders and utilities go.

One of the most talented players to ever play. Kouta handily.

Bluebag13

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure uf you are being serious here. Marc Murphy was voted coaches association player of the year in 2011 (thats for the whole league)
Lets have a look at his b & f record.
2008 - 2nd
2009 - 2nd
2010 - 3rd
2011 - winner
2012 - injured shoulder missed 9 games
2013 - not top 10
2014 - second
2015 - second
2016 - season ending injury round 10
2017 - winner
2018 - tenth
2019 - 8th.

Clearly Kouta at his best was a force of nature. But murph's efforts over a long period (many of these bleak) should never be undersold.

Murphy is a tremendous player and I have no doubt could have left the club multiple times. Was becoming a star of the competition and was on track to becoming one of the elite mids.

Having said that I voted for Kouta has he was a genuine star of the comp and and an elite mid and utility.

Would have liked a few more votes for murph, this scoreline doesnt do him justice.

sosos

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Murphy. A shining light in the darkest days. Just needed Jimmy Buckley and Wayne Johnston to have a few quiet words early on.

That didn't happen so he got pushed around a bit. As the captain, that lack of respect for him was my most depressing time to be a Carlton supporter.

But he fought on and showed some great courage in contests to try to turn the perceptions around so he has my respect.

Kouta surfed the football stratosphere. Handled a big heavy football like it was a tennis ball.

Vision, extreme strength, pace and courage.

Stood up for the boys during the Pagan debacle.

Legend of the club.

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
Kouta was the first in my memory who was talented enough to be an Olympic track athlete if he chose that path. That 2 year stretch from 99' when he realized his own potential was as good as it gets individually before the knee. Murphy has been amongst our most important players when we've been winning since he started. Going with Kouta.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
49597-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

I gave the votes to Kouta. Could play CHB, CHF, inside mid, wing, the lot. His best was as good as I have ever seen. Like a Greek god on the field.

But Murph shouldn't be underestimated. Doesn't have the x-factor that Kouta had, but has been a consistent, top-level midfielder for almost 15 years. OK, he's a rung below the Judd/Cripps level, but that's nothing to be ashamed of. He has been asked to shoulder a lot of our midfield load on the inside and out over the years when that probably wasn't his bag. I think he could have easily had 3-4x AA selections if we'd dumped him on the wing / just outside the contest his whole career. He's got elite skills (most of the time) and he's been a decent goal-kicker over the years. Not the most inspiring leader, but again that was something the club probably unfairly thrust upon him due to necessity. Injuries probably robbed him of some shine over the years too. Overall, a great servant of the club and just a small step down from the true blue greats.

I don't think the difference between the two is as big as some believe. But yes, Kouta with the win here.

Murphy is a tremendous player and I have no doubt could have left the club multiple times. Was becoming a star of the competition and was on track to becoming one of the elite mids.

Having said that I voted for Kouta has he was a genuine star of the comp and and an elite mid and utility.

Would have liked a few more votes for murph, this scoreline doesnt do him justice.
pretty unfortunate for any player here running into a judd, doull, kouta, jezza..........

Back