Scandal The 'disgusting' on-field sledge that made a player consider walking off the ground and quitting the game

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've always found it ridiculous to try and draw the line on sledging, it's like trying to quantify what's funny.
Yep. You can't draw a line if it is subjective and I think it would be difficult to qualify what is objectively ok to say.

So just like comedy, either everything is ok or nothing is.

I think you can make an appeal to people to try and be sensitive around topics that might cause actual harm and I think many will but some wont because you know, they're ****s.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
But today's culture is to get offended and outraged by anything

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Makes you pine for the good ol days when you could just come out with any racist, homophobic, sexist s**t you felt like and everyone could have a good laugh at the expense of the victim. Ah memories.

Makes you pine for the good ol days when you could just come out with any racist, homophobic, sexist s**t you felt like and everyone could have a good laugh at the expense of the victim. Ah memories.
Over correcting the wrongs of the past doesn't make it right

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
He could name the player but as the case with nearly all St.Failda players, no one would've heard of them

Appreciate the sentiment of this post, even as a saints supporter it’s true (at a guess it could have been a Jack cause we’ve got a shitload of them) but...

St.Failda? That’s awful man. 1 flag in our history and somehow that name seems like a worse effort.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's the thing- there is a clear line.
Attacking someone personally for something they have or had no control over isn't 'sledging', that's just verbal abuse.

No different to bogans on public transport yelling at tourists to **** off back to where you came from etc.

Why that level of crap gets called 'sledging' purely because it happened on a footy field and not the 304 bus to frankston, i'll never know.

Having a go at someone for something they do or did have a large degree of control over however- that's fair game.

Noone has much say in their race, health etc so that's why racial crap and abuse about mental health is abuse.
If the person didn't directly control or cause it- it's off limits. (Kids being sick, mental health etc)

A guy like fev for instance with well known gambling history in my book should be able to cop sledges about betting... because he brought that on himself.
But it would be a step too far to 'sledge' him about the mental health and family breakdown etc that resulted from his gambling.
There's the line.
Once the 'sledge' is about something the person had too distant control over- its just abuse.

What about Warner and the sledge about his wife shagging Sonny Bill? He had no control over that but she did, he did have control over dating and marrying her?

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Everyone is very precious these days, it's just the way it is. I have always been more in the camp of what happens on the field stays on the field. If you're offended then you're offended. Nothing happens when you are offended. Just deal with it.

Precisely.

I always loved Hitchens' response when people asked him what he would say to people who say they are offended:

"I'm still waiting for you to make your point."

Brilliant.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Last time I heard it was in a game against an out gay bloke
Have never seen people turn on a person so quickly.
Being on a footy field doesn’t give you any excuse to say whatever you want

and despite what you claim, a player being paid doesn’t mean they need to put up with being mocked for mental illness

if you need to stoop to that s**t, you’re probably just not a very good footballer

Neither was Cloke at the end.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Appreciate the sentiment of this post, even as a saints supporter it’s true (at a guess it could have been a Jack cause we’ve got a shitload of them) but...

St.Failda? That’s awful man. 1 flag in our history and somehow that name seems like a worse effort.
I've heard some s**t ones in my time from footy nuffies. Up there with "The Shockers", "Wet Toast", "Western Bullfrogs", "Carlton Poos", "Brisbane Cryin", "Geelong Fats", Melbourne Semens"

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've heard some s**t ones in my time from footy nuffies. Up there with "The Shockers", "Wet Toast", "Western Bullfrogs", "Carlton Poos", "Brisbane Cryin", "Geelong Fats", Melbourne Semens"

Genuinely I reckon they are all far superior to St.Failda which is more a statement on how bad that is than a statement on how good they are.

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda

I always thought the 'Aints was a good one.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
But today's culture is to get offended and outraged by anything

Isn't it possible that people were always offended and outraged - but now they actually have the confidence to express it?

Here's a question for you...why is it that ******* arseholes get outraged and offended when people tell them that their behaviour is s**t? Why are they so precious these days?

Back