Preview AFL Returns - Round 2: North Melbourne vs GWS @ Giants Stadium - changes/prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 2 for me

MCDONALD TARRANT PITTARD
MACMILLAN WALKER ATLEY
HALL CUNNINGTON POLEC
THOMAS LARKY TAYLOR
ZIEBELL BROWN ZURHAAR

GOLDSTEIN HIGGINS SIMPKIN

BONAR DUMONT AHERN ANDERSON

Emergency

WOOD DURDIN TYSON MURPHY

Pittard to play on the giants 3rd tall.
We were undersized in rd 1 and down walker early and handled the saints forwards pretty well who had size on us.
Thoughts lads?
Too small down back for mine. Whilst it didn’t backfire vs saints I wouldn’t go short again. Think generally we look worse when our mediums have to play taller down back.
Durdin to play third tall defender on finlayson and pinch hit ruck essentially playing the role Daw would have

B: McDonald Tarrant Durdin
HB: Atley Walker Pittard
C: Polec Simpkin Dumont
HF: Zurhaar Larkey Ziebell
F: Wood Brown Taylor
R: Goldy Higgins Cunners
I: Ahern Thomas and then 2 of Tyson, Hall, Bonar, Jed

Ahern as the 7th defender who can also rotate mid
I’m keen for Tyson to play as the run with player from now on, and coniglio is the perfect opponent to blanket otherwise he’ll get 30 and 2

Too small down back for mine. Whilst it didn’t backfire vs saints I wouldn’t go short again. Think generally we look worse when our mediums have to play taller down back.
Durdin to play third tall defender on finlayson and pinch hit ruck essentially playing the role Daw would have

B: McDonald Tarrant Durdin
HB: Atley Walker Pittard
C: Polec Simpkin Dumont
HF: Zurhaar Larkey Ziebell
F: Wood Brown Taylor
R: Goldy Higgins Cunners
I: Ahern Thomas and then 2 of Tyson, Hall, Bonar, Jed

Ahern as the 7th defender who can also rotate mid
I’m keen for Tyson to play as the run with player from now on, and coniglio is the perfect opponent to blanket otherwise he’ll get 30 and 2

Agree def need a 3rd tall... didn't matter too much against sts as they only had king tall and he doesn't know how to use it just yet... membrey not overly tall... giants pardon the pun are tall! So I'm back to a def needs to go whether it be jmac murph or ahern.... which will all depend on where Shaw sees the 3. Obviously knows he can rely on jmac but does he stick with and keep developing murph... don't think he will drop ahern at this stage but also think he will be pushed back to midfield

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Ahern is safe at the moment Rhyce appears to be putting abit of time in him which is good if he can produce.... having said that I'd also like Bonar in too... does that mean too many midfielders probably but four of them have double strings ie cunners hall and Bonar can all do stint forward and ahern hb... who out then.....?

Shaw had the opportunity to play Ahern across hb in rd 1 and didn't. He went with Murphy. It could be down to Murphy or Durdin if we want another tall. Durdin could make us too cumbersome down back.

I can't see any other changes unless there's injuries. Would mean there's no room for Bonar unless Ahern goes out.

I'd be happy to see Bonar get a run, but the team isn't going to be based on who I like.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

In other words Macmillan

except Ahern has better skills and can be a centre square rotation also on top of HBF

But will MacMillan play. I'll back that he does. In fact, let's bet our BF accounts on it? Are you up for it?

Shaw had the opportunity to play Ahern across hb in rd 1 and didn't. He went with Murphy. It could be down to Murphy or Durdin if we want another tall. Durdin could make us too cumbersome down back.

I can't see any other changes unless there's injuries. Would mean there's no room for Bonar unless Ahern goes out.

I'd be happy to see Bonar get a run, but the team isn't going to be based on who I like.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Yes reckon Shaw has given up on the Ahern HB option and now has him back in the midfield.... so yes be Bonar or ahern and reckon ahern for now as Shaw still working on him

But will MacMillan play. I'll back that he does. In fact, let's bet our BF accounts on it? Are you up for it?
It would not surprise me at all to see us make the wrong decision to play Macmillan ahead of Ahern

The only saving grace is if we do make that mistake it should hopefully be a temporary 1 week mistake as Marley will come in the week after anyway for whoever survives

Round 2 for me

MCDONALD TARRANT PITTARD
MACMILLAN WALKER ATLEY
HALL CUNNINGTON POLEC
THOMAS LARKY TAYLOR
ZIEBELL BROWN ZURHAAR

GOLDSTEIN HIGGINS SIMPKIN

BONAR DUMONT AHERN ANDERSON

Emergency

WOOD DURDIN TYSON MURPHY

Pittard to play on the giants 3rd tall.
We were undersized in rd 1 and down walker early and handled the saints forwards pretty well who had size on us.
Thoughts lads?
Looks about right - suspect W Walker and Murphy competing with Ahern and Bonar for 7th defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would not surprise me at all to see us make the wrong decision to play Macmillan ahead of Ahern

The only saving grace is if we do make that mistake it should hopefully be a temporary 1 week mistake as Marley will come in the week after anyway for whoever survives

Temporary?

Do you mean like the "temporary" 122 times he's played since you started serially putting s**t on him?

1591077852680.png

Ahern is only a HBF if you want to concede 3-4 goals a match to his opponent.

In other words, he isn't.

Has great vision and neat disposal (particularly with little space and a lot of pressure) - a big plus.
Provides very little physical pressure and is not gifted with pace.

Needs a lot more run and body use to be a balanced part of our team IMO. I could see him in a role like Cunnington - albeit with different strengths - but hard to see him in the middle while we have Cunnington running around unless he upgrades his weaknesses.

Has great vision and neat disposal (particularly with little space and a lot of pressure) - a big plus.
Provides very little physical pressure and is not gifted with pace.

Needs a lot more run and body use to be a balanced part of our team IMO. I could see him in a role like Cunnington - albeit with different strengths - but hard to see him in the middle while we have Cunnington running around unless he upgrades his weaknesses.

Look mate, in a side with a midfield that is strong enough to just put him on the end of the footy plenty of times, he would be an asset, but in our current team, not so much.

He is not and never will be Ben Cunnington. Not even close.

Look mate, in a side with a midfield that is strong enough to just put him on the end of the footy plenty of times, he would be an asset, but in our current team, not so much.

He is not and never will be Ben Cunnington. Not even close.

Not saying he will be like Ben Cunnington, saying that we have a slow player with good vision in the midfield and can't see a place for another without him lifting other attributes significantly. ie. I agree.

Not saying he will be like Ben Cunnington, saying that we have a slow player with good vision in the midfield and can't see a place for another without him lifting other attributes significantly. ie. I agree.

Yes mate, but Ben is elite at getting the pill and applying physical pressure. Paul isn't.

Yes mate, but Ben is elite at getting the pill and applying physical pressure. Paul isn't.

Ahern is elite at getting the ball based on his 1st year numbers. Applying physical pressure, definitely not. Which I stated in my first post. I'm not arguing for replacing him or his spot in the team. I don't know why you're trying to convince me of something that I have already said I agreed with...

Ahern is elite at getting the ball based on his 1st year numbers. Applying physical pressure, definitely not. Which I stated in my first post. I'm not arguing for replacing him or his spot in the team. I don't know why you're trying to convince me of something that I have already said I agreed with...

The 22 vs WCE certainly blew up those numbers, and they weren't "elite" either.

9.5 CP's ranked him 66th in 2018.

The 22 vs WCE certainly blew up those numbers, and they weren't "elite" either.

9.5 CP's ranked him 66th in 2018.

Not yet, neither were Cunnington's after a handful of games. His numbers were at the higher end for a <50 gamer.

Not yet, neither were Cunnington's after a handful of games. His numbers were at the higher end for a <50 gamer.

Okay, I hope to be proven wrong over time. If North wins, I win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back