Paying back the 500 million dollars

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Get rid of AFLW - saving $20 mill per year
Half Soft cap - $90 mill saving
Decrease Salary Cap by $2 mill - $36 mill saving
Trim the AFL Executive and all the hangers on/superfluous staff (who knows $10 mill say?)

Boom - $156mill Saving. Debt gone in 3 years.

could save a lot more at AFL HQ.

Mark Robinson said they spend I think over 100m

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Thats what I was thinking.

Where have they spent it?

Peter Gordon: you don’t set up a loan facility that big unless you think you’re going to need it.”

Take a look at your clubs books (any clubs Annual Report) at 31.10, it will reveal if you can pay your way with no income (assume membership money must be refunded).
There were reported 14 clubs could not pay their way, the media money due in May is being withheld ..... plenty of people still being paid, leases etc.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Peter Gordon: you don’t set up a loan facility that big unless you think you’re going to need it.”

Take a look at your clubs books (any clubs Annual Report) at 31.10, it will reveal if you can pay your way with no income (assume membership money must be refunded).
There were reported 14 clubs could not pay their way, the media money due in May is being withheld ..... plenty of people still being paid, leases etc.

I had a look tonight on funds apparently going to clubs.

Lions 22 m or so, Gold Coast, North, GWS, there would be others. St Kilda was on there

Wow, some may argue certain clubs for state advertising maybe but...subscritpion is different model

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I had a look tonight on funds apparently going to clubs.

Lions 22 m or so, Gold Coast, North, GWS, there would be others. St Kilda was on there

Wow, some may argue certain clubs for state advertising maybe but...subscritpion is different model

Got a link on your numbers?
I posted above, numbers from Freo & the D's.

The Tiges Allied Leisure business should start trading again with the latest easing on restrictions.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
It's time for the non Vic clubs to tip in and save the struggling Victorian clubs.

ALL clubs are battling, dont kid yourself .... the battle to pay back the debt will need clubs without a viable business plan/stuck with State League (1900s) thinking to pull their weight.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
It's definitely coming, club officials and media ramping up the talk about the comp minus some teams.
The writings on the wall...

So many Victorians have battled to move on, the AFL is the VFL thinking & for the 20 years spineless AFL Commissioners have hoped it would go away but:
ayres-don-t-forget-about-famous-vfl-clubs-20200601-p54yh6.html

As a Subi supporter first & foremost I accepted reality, the WAFL was no longer footy at the highest level, most Victorians have never accepted that reality, the AFL involves ALL the best, not just some of the best, VFL its not.

Dont expect the role of the VFL to fade away.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
ALL clubs are battling, dont kid yourself .... the battle to pay back the debt will need clubs without a viable business plan/stuck with State League (1900s) thinking to pull their weight.

Most AFL clubs are not run like serious businesses, they are jobs for the boys who run to HQ when they need to.

Here, believe it or not, is a shout out to the two WA clubs who are run like proper businesses with reserve capital.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Most AFL clubs are not run like serious businesses, they are jobs for the boys who run to HQ when they need to.

Here, believe it or not, is a shout out to the two WA clubs who are run like proper businesses with reserve capital.

:thumbsu:

The shout out should go to those who advocate the traditional 'not for profit' approach to operating in professional sport.
More often they sneer at franchises as if it somehow makes them look superior.

The last few pages read like a Betoota Advocate article.

"[Small Vic club] is 100% going to fold this time" scoffs Western Australian, for the 32nd time this decade"

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Logically one of the irrelevant teams that haven't won a premiership.

Lets not go down that path here - plenty of threads have done it to death & its not as if we have got anything more to go on, the AFL are committed to 18 teams until October 31, i.e the end of this trading year.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Silly distinction.

The AFL clubs are largely professionally run from what I can tell, with perhaps 2 or 3 exceptions at anyone time. The fact that most are actual clubs rather than structured as companies is moot

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Silly distinction.

The AFL clubs are largely professionally run from what I can tell, with perhaps 2 or 3 exceptions at anyone time. The fact that most are actual clubs rather than structured as companies is moot

Arent most clubs under a company structure these days? Tried to access RFCs Annual Report but could not get in, even the BF link was no go. Is it the structure or the mindset of those in charge.
Remember when the Eagles were accused of gouging?

Or more logically, 3 teams that need massive AFL support to survive and are already in a well over-saturated market.

I assume you mean Brisbane, GC & GWS.

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Arent most clubs under a company structure these days? Tried to access RFCs Annual Report but could not get in, even the BF link was no go. Is it the structure or the mindset of those in charge.
Remember when the Eagles were accused of gouging?

Here's the Richmond financial report

The distinction is that they are clubs/associations limited by guarantee (i.e. they are clubs with a certain number of legal members (varies by club who is a legal member....Collingwood you need to be a social club member for instance) rather than companies limited by shares. The two WA clubs are set up as companies limited by shares and these shares are 100% owned by the WA football commission (I'm pretty sure I have that right)

In practice there is no material difference between how those clubs are run in a real sense beyond somewhat different legal obligations.

Back