Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was 2010 - talk on Big Footy at the time is that they would rival the great Geelong midfield. Unfortunately only one genuine star emerged from this quartet.

View attachment 880393

Who was touting Jack as a midfielder in 2008?

I don't remember anyone thinking that Levi was anything other than a promising HBF either. He actually exceeded expectations.

Bastinac was actually a promising prospect when you look out how footy lists were being formulated back in the "Lonie" era, and we were screaming for blokes who could run.

Last edited:
Aaron Hall needs to be given some serious credit here. The s**t that was getting spread about him when he had some time off last year was completely unwarranted and the vast majority of it was complete bullshit

From what I’ve been told he has had a huge impact on not only TT but Jy, LDU and Will Walker. Takes a lot of time out of his day teach the kids about nutrition, professionalism and getting the best out of themselves. Has a real passion for wanting his teammates to get the most out of themselves.

Aaron Hall needs to be given some serious credit here. The s**t that was getting spread about him when he had some time off last year was completely unwarranted and the vast majority of it was complete bullshit

From what I’ve been told he has had a huge impact on not only TT but Jy, LDU and Will Walker. Takes a lot of time out of his day teach the kids about nutrition, professionalism and getting the best out of themselves. Has a real passion for wanting his teammates to get the most out of themselves.
Yeah we aren't privy tp what happens behind close doors.

Apparently Macmillan has a similar impact on the group.

Sounds like a future development coach.

No wonder he wasn't getting a look in at Gold Coast.

The McGowan article is a good one.

Moving forward though I'm still not in favour of Thomas playing predominately as a mid. We just have this thing sometimes when we rush key prospects into the midfield too quickly. In Thomas case the idea of a 2nd year player now needing to have the emphasise to get to every stoppage and win contested ball I think will not allow to him to show his talents to the best of his ability.

We all saw what can we do up forward, most of his highlights from last year are inside forward 50. Why change that? Let em continue causing havoc for opposition defenders.

It’s the first time in a long time I can think of we’ve actually got a whole lot of midfield talent coming in, the same time/age.
LDU, Simpkin and Thomas if they reach their potential could be number 1 player in the league level.

I honestly can’t remember a time when we could say that about our list, We’ve been more patchwork.

Just in response to Scottroo on Curtis Taylor's thread I was gonna say almost exactly the same thing. I can't remember when our list was like this except for during the mid - late 80s when thinking about those u19 sides (who went on to be quite good.)

I can't remember our list being this good in a long time. Not since the 90s side.

Curtis Taylor was pretty good in r1 and Bailey Scott was pretty good in r1 last year and both have some development to come.

It's like we got Wells, and then another three or four as good players and a bunch more who are close. Since Jy. Maybe not quite as jaw droppingly talented as Wells but all pretty damn close and ... honestly ... they seem harder, tougher players.

I haven't felt this way about our list since the 90s. Sure we've been close but these guys are genuinely exciting. The next three years could be very good.

The only thing I disagree with that is his speed. He reminds me of that player who you get to sprint at training will be in the top half a dozen.
line him up in a game and hes a yard quicker than everyone on the field, he’s got that extra gear that makes you go, what, where did that come from..

Yep. He just seems to be able to respond with what's needed. There are times when I've thought "s**t he is moving" because he doesn't come across as a really fast runner. He must be incredibly laconic.

Just in response to Scottroo on Curtis Taylor's thread I was gonna say almost exactly the same thing. I can't remember when our list was like this except for during the mid - late 80s when thinking about those u19 sides (who went on to be quite good.)

I can't remember our list being this good in a long time. Not since the 90s side.

Curtis Taylor was pretty good in r1 and Bailey Scott was pretty good in r1 last year and both have some development to come.

It's like we got Wells, and then another three or four as good players and a bunch more who are close. Since Jy. Maybe not quite as jaw droppingly talented as Wells but all pretty damn close and ... honestly ... they seem harder, tougher players.

I haven't felt this way about our list since the 90s. Sure we've been close but these guys are genuinely exciting. The next three years could be very good.
I other thing I like, is they all seem to compliment each other, it’s not like we got 5 inside bulls and trying to fit them in the same midfield/forward line.
I completely forgot about Scott, he’s another that just looks like he belongs at afl level.

As I see it we really are lacking a dashing HBF and a small goal sneak, but both of those should be fairly easy to target.

This was 2010 - talk on Big Footy at the time is that they would rival the great Geelong midfield. Unfortunately only one genuine star emerged from this quartet.

View attachment 880393

Two of those guys are genuinely good midfielders. One has some
limitations the other is elite.

One is okay (Greenwood), was better when he was still with us. He's serviceable...

Everyone we've drafted since we picked Jy Simpkin gives us a better group than those four, and if we get three quarters of those players who can play midfield at a similar ratio then that's two elite players, two who could get 10 Brownlow votes, like Jack last year, so pretty damn good on their day and another two serviceable ie Greenwood level players plus maybe one more who could be in any of those categories.

Still a much better return IMO. Who knows even Basti could have been more with a better development set up.

I other thing I like, is they all seem to compliment each other, it’s not like we got 5 inside bulls and trying to fit them in the same midfield/forward line.
I completely forgot about Scott, he’s another that just looks like he belongs at afl level.

As I see it we really are lacking a dashing HBF and a small goal sneak, but both of those should be fairly easy to target.
We may have drafted them last year.

And our older list is significantly better than it has been. The backline is a potential issue, but could still be okay. Otherwise it seems like across the field we have a better balance. Better inside and outside balance definitely and possibly better defensive running from the mids? Hope so. Jy Simpkin seems be taking that on a bit. Hopefully Thomas will too. If his running is improving.

It's probably on the coach to really make them run defensively.

We could get good service out of Jy, LDU, Hayden, Bonar, WWalker, Thomas, Taylor, Scott and even Perez across the midfield if everything went perfectly. They seem like a very even mix of complimentary players, even tho we haven't seen much of most of them. Three of them have played over 20 games, one over 50, the rest what? ... under five if any? Has Bonar played more?

I know we've seen these highlights a few times before in this thread, but let's put them all together for National Reconciliation Week... And the fact that they're damn exciting to watch!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know we've seen these highlights a few times before in this thread, but let's put them all together for National Reconciliation Week... And the fact that they're damn exciting to watch!

Yeah, let's not associate political views with player threads mate. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Yeah, let's not associate our personal political views with the entire board mate. :thumbsu:

I wasn't. Just paraphrasing the Twatter post which resulted in the highlights package.

Yeah, I know mate. :thumbsu:

The Huddle is prostituting players for it's own purposes again.

You think that Tarryn Thomas would feel prostituted by taking part in media related to reconciliation week? That's a new take.

Yeah, I know mate. :thumbsu:

The Huddle is prostituting players for it's own purposes again.
Yeah, nothing worse than a club with a small membership base engaging growing migrant communities who haven't got pre-existing club loyalties, and will have generations of children growing up as football fanatics in the very near future. Even worse, imagine posting highlights of North's indigenous players during reconciliation week! Nothing of benefit to the club could possibly come from that...

I mean............why?

It's not as if he has been picking cotton.

He's an impressionable young kid and the professional hysterics down there have gotten hold of him.

Is he?

I think you do him a disservice by taking away his agency. It is not for you to decide for him whether he is able to make a decision for himself.

He's a kid playing footy mate, and he's not experiencing one skerrick of prejudice in his life.

Tarryn is already being touted as a future AFL draftee and the quietly spoken Northern Bombers onballer and Prospect High student said being involved in a vilification issue as a 16-year-old had taken a toll on him.

“It has had a big effect on me and my family and upsets us a lot,” he said.

I might actually invoice the club for this post.

He's a kid playing footy mate, and he's not experiencing one skerrick of prejudice in his life.

I don't think you can make that statement from the outside in however surely one doesn't have to directly experience something to take a stand against it? I haven't experienced sexual abuse but I feel pretty comfortable supporting survivors and showing that support.

He glides a bit like Wells, but he's also a bit like Pendles and Cunners in that they seem to have that little bit of extra time in the stoppage.

I'm really cautious to pump up youth, but he's one of the most exciting players to have come to North in a long time.

More like Burgoyne of the Shaun variety - has time , class, vision and makes great decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back