Coronavirus and Football

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think I'll be watching too much.

I'm in the office most weekends so I can look after the kids midweek. That'll change when kids are allowed to go back to school, but I can't see that happening until September. So weekend games are out, I'll probably watch the City midweek matches but not really arsed about any others.

People talk about a return to normality, but it's anything but.
Yeah it's tough over there and hopefully infection rates start to drop so that you can get to the point we are here where in a few weeks I suspect most things will be back to normal pending a second wave.

And if they void the season and relegate the teams based on current standings it's no different.
Thats assuming the only suicidal fans are those currently in the drop zone.

Fwiw I think anyone who would go down that route with football returning and not getting good results will have already gone down that path unfortunately.

Thats assuming the only suicidal fans are those currently in the drop zone.

Fwiw I think anyone who would go down that route with football returning and not getting good results will have already gone down that path unfortunately.

I think this is a ridiculous discussion and no one is killing themselves if their side is relegated. It was a ridiculous strawman brought up by WR and this discussion has lasted well beyond the sane point to end it.

Aren't they planning to return in a couple of weeks?

Obviously if they believe it will be down to a few hundred of new cases per day with eased lockdowns then so be it. Seems like a gamble. But it can definitely come off

Correct.

For reference, Germany were averaging about 700 new cases per day when they restarted on 16 May. 3 weeks before that on 25 April, they were averaging about 1800 new cases per day.

The Premier League is about 3 weeks away from restarting, and the UK are averaging about 1900 new cases per day.

And this is where I’ve said previously, the league need to be responsive to the epidemiological data, by all means make plans based on a particular scenario, but be prepared to pull the plug if cases aren’t declining at the rate they expected and that scenario doesn’t eventuate.

They also need to keep a very close eye on whether the Bundesliga’s call to restart at that point is associated with any outbreaks over there, and whether there are any lessons to learn regarding infection control.

I think this is a ridiculous discussion and no one is killing themselves if their side is relegated. It was a ridiculous strawman brought up by WR and this discussion has lasted well beyond the sane point to end it.
How do you know that? People who are suicidal aren’t that way just because their football team is piss poor but if there are scenarios where vulnerable people are already under much stress (likely down to economic turmoil) then the stress of football and seeing their team relegated could serve as the final straw. It’s not ridiculous or a strawman at all. Wind your neck in for once

Correct.

For reference, Germany were averaging about 700 new cases per day when they restarted on 16 May. 3 weeks before that on 25 April, they were averaging about 1800 new cases per day.

The Premier League is about 3 weeks away from restarting, and the UK are averaging about 1900 new cases per day.

And this is where I’ve said previously, the league need to be responsive to the epidemiological data, by all means make plans based on a particular scenario, but be prepared to pull the plug if cases aren’t declining at the rate they expected and that scenario doesn’t eventuate.

They also need to keep a very close eye on whether the Bundesliga’s call to restart at that point is associated with any outbreaks over there, and whether there are any lessons to learn regarding infection control.
Did Germany open up as a whole in that 3 weeks when it went it continued to drop?

Looks like they are going down the La Liga route with match times with no game clashing with the other on weekends Then probably no more than 2 games on clashing on weekends
Friday: 8pm

Saturday: 12.30pm, 3pm, 5.30pm, 8pm

Sunday: 12pm, 2pm, 4.30pm, 7pm

Monday: 8pm

Tuesday, Wedneday and Thursday: 6pm, 8pm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It took me a moment to wrap my head around the headline lol.

I am just glad it wasn't Leeds mate :)

Astonishing how so many Championship players have tested positive for COVID19, esp at playoff/promotion chasing teams like Fulham and Preston.

I hope no more cases get reported, alas that seems unlikely

I am just glad it wasn't Leeds mate :)

Astonishing how so many Championship players have tested positive for COVID19, esp at playoff/promotion chasing teams like Fulham and Preston.

I hope no more cases get reported, alas that seems unlikely

Yeah, it does seem unlikely that there won’t be more cases. It feels like the Championship is so far away from a resumption of play and that would suck for clubs like Leeds and WBA being so close to promotion but yet so far away as things stand today.

Yeah, it does seem unlikely that there won’t be more cases. It feels like the Championship is so far away from a resumption of play and that would suck for clubs like Leeds and WBA being so close to promotion but yet so far away as things stand today.

Thing is, if the Championship did get cancelled, it has been reported that Leeds would go up as Champions under the Weighted Points system

I would begrudgingly accept that, but honestly would much rather earn our promotion legitimately .

I am very confident we have the squad with the stones (mental strength) not to bottle it again

But yes, safety and health of the players and their families should always be the no 1 priority

You look at two things, probability and severity. In the case of the common cold there is no need to eliminate the risk.

With covid19, the severity has increased so the control measures reflect that.

Businesses have closed doors, people work from home.

It's not always viable to eliminate a particular risk, but it certainly can be done.
The IFR is below 0.3%. That’s flu levels to the people like yourself who live in fear. For those under 60 the IFR is at 0.03%.

The IFR is below 0.3%. That’s flu levels to the people like yourself who live in fear. For those under 60 the IFR is at 0.03%.
Showing caution, awareness, and doing everything possible to protect yourself, your family and members of the community is not living in fear.

Showing caution, awareness, and doing everything possible to protect yourself, your family and members of the community is not living in fear.
It is when you allow scaremongering to affect decision making that forces an economic shutdown. This then causes financial devastation and the suicidal thoughts and actions that WR is talking about. All over a virus that has an IFR that is tracking at flu like levels.

It is when you allow scaremongering to affect decision making that forces an economic shutdown. This then causes financial devastation and the suicidal thoughts and actions that WR is talking about. All over a virus that has an IFR that is tracking at flu like levels.
40k people dead in the UK (probably significantly higher).

People that haven't acted like dicks are responsible for that number being as low as it is.

You might be alright jack, because it doesn't affect you, but I personally have spoken to over 60 people who have been affected by this. Several of them have lost family members unexpectedly as a result of the virus. Others continue to be affect as it isn't just a case of dead or yay.

So I'll stick to showing caution, awareness and showing a bit of common sense.

You stick to doing whatever it is you do.

So Preston has a full contract training with a player that has since been confirmed positive.

By rights they should all be in self isolation now, although football seems to be picking and choosing who has been closest to an infected player.

Hopefully no further positives come from it.

So Preston has a full contract training with a player that has since been confirmed positive.

By rights they should all be in self isolation now, although football seems to be picking and choosing who has been closest to an infected player.

Hopefully no further positives come from it.

They would have all got another test immediately. Isolate until test results come back within 24 hours, if negative all clear. There is a study somewhere into the likelihood of transmission for an outdoor contact sports and it found transmission was unlikely, will have to find it. This will be a good indicator, will hear about it tomorrow if theres any further positives.

1 player only so far in a training ground with corona is a very good result considering the thousands of tests done.

They would have all got another test immediately. Isolate until test results come back within 24 hours, if negative all clear. There is a study somewhere into the likelihood of transmission for an outdoor contact sports and it found transmission was unlikely, will have to find it. This will be a good indicator, will hear about it tomorrow if theres any further positives.

1 player only so far in a training ground with corona is a very good result considering the thousands of tests done.
It's one player too many.

You have to wonder if the risk is so small, why everyone isn't allowed to play outdoor contact sports.

They would have all got another test immediately. Isolate until test results come back within 24 hours, if negative all clear.

Not true.

They could be incubating with a viral load too low to detect.

This is why all close contacts have to isolate for 14 days regardless of what their test results are, sometimes it can take that long for an infected person’s viral load to reach a detectable level/symptoms to emerge.

Not true.

They could be incubating with a viral load too low to detect.

This is why all close contacts have to isolate for 14 days regardless of what their test results are, sometimes it can take that long for an infected person’s viral load to reach a detectable level/symptoms to emerge.
To me, that seems like a fair chunk of Preston will be out of action until just before restart.

I guess it depends on how many are deemed to have been in close contact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back