Second tier football

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Only if the senior AFL grade goes to 26 rounds.
Cannot see that happening.
So with 22 games the Eastern AFL would be 22 games of home and away also, so the guys not in senior team are aligned with same weeks playing as senior team do.
I can see the AFL go 26 or even 28 rounds next year to make up for the losses they will make in 2020.

Its usually a 23 round season with each team playing 22 games.

Its now just going to be 17 rounds this year.

I can see next AFL season become a 25 round season each side playing 24 games each. If thats the case, the byes rounds will come in the middle at rounds 12-14.

Saying that, they could do a 25 round season in 2021 and 2022 and possibly 2023.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Some of key points.
- AFL wants matches aligned with the senior fixture
- can only play teams from the same State
- games must be played at approved AFL venues
- numbers per side and length of game are as agreed between the clubs

All seems quite sensible in current circumstances.

Some of key points.
- AFL wants matches aligned with the senior fixture
- can only play teams from the same State
- games must be played at approved AFL venues
- numbers per side and length of game are as agreed between the clubs

All seems quite sensible in current circumstances.
Most sensible solution.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
You forgetting there is this sport called cricket. Logistics just do not allow it. The AFL could probably find a way to squeeze out to 24 rounds but never going to get anything like 28.
So a 25 round season would be the best case scenario then?

25 rounds meaning the byes are in rounds 11-13. Each team has 24 games, 12 home games and 12 away games. Means the the season will start in early or mid march then

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Looks like the VFL is getting closer to a season. Willy, Port, Sandy, Frankston, Coburg, Casey and Box Hill will play. No AFL players so the latter three will top up their lists to play. Seven round season playing each other once, then finals.

Weirdest thing is Melbourne have apparently “taken over Casey Fields”? So Casey don’t have a ground at the moment.

Looks like the VFL is getting closer to a season. Willy, Port, Sandy, Frankston, Coburg, Casey and Box Hill will play. No AFL players so the latter three will top up their lists to play. Seven round season playing each other once, then finals.

Weirdest thing is Melbourne have apparently “taken over Casey Fields”? So Casey don’t have a ground at the moment.
Casey Fields has like 5 ovals, Melbourne use 1.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Yeah dunno, sounds like they’ve claimed it

Imagine VFL has some standards required in terms of facilities and broadcasting, maybe the other grounds at Casey aren’t suitable.

They're paying, good news for the ratepayers down there with the councillors all suspended recently.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

No Werribee? Got a link?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
RESERVES SCRATCH MATCHES SCHEDULED FOR ROUND TWO
Collingwood v Richmond
– Wednesday, June 10 – MCG – Early evening
Brisbane v Fremantle – Saturday, June 13 – Leyshon Park, Yeronga – Morning
Carlton v Melbourne – Saturday, June 13 – Ikon Park – Morning
GWS v Sydney – Saturday, June 13 – Tom Wills Oval – Early afternoon
Gold Coast v West Coast – Saturday, June 13 - Outside oval, Metricon Stadium – Early afternoon
Port Adelaide v Adelaide – Saturday, June 13 – Adelaide Oval – Early afternoon

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Starting to lean towards thinking this idea Chris Pelchen talked of lists of 35 called the Active List and 10 more Inactive list is what may happen for AFL clubs.
I suspect the 10 players on Inactive lists are essentially contracts like players got in last year's mid season rookie draft, such as Josh Deluca that was not kept beyond season or someone like John Noble. Virtually a 10 player short term list, much like rookie list already in place but probably on minimal contract like Marlion Pickett on now. I think the overseas players will be kept in play and not part of any salary cap. So clubs could still have access to up to 48 players but in reality I think the 35 properly contracted players is what the real salary cap will be mainly based on going forward. This would sill make it possible for the Eastern AFL reserve grade to happen with Gold Coast, Briabane, Sydney and GWS joining the other 10 AFL club reserves grade level games in eastern seaboard second tier. SANFL and WAFL stay as they been doing and possibly in time Tasmania join the this grade when/if they building towards an AFL licence sometime this decade.

"in a conference call yesterday, AFL legal counsel Andrew Dillon told club football bosses that clarity on second-tier competitions, club academies, soft caps, salary caps and list sizes was still up to a month away in what is an enormous piece of work.

There is, however, increasing optimism that the salary cap - which currently sits at $14.5 million - and list sizes will not be as savagely affected as previously thought."

I think the Nab League and most of stand alone VFL clubs will come together in some form for all other players wanting to be on pathway to AFL elite level.

That might mean a senior team each and under 19 Nab league team or maybe even make it simply one team each club of under 23 or under 21.

That would essentially be the third tier on eastern seaboard.

I think the fixture will be a little compromised in terms of northern club states will probably play the club in the home state twice at home and twice away just to make it cost effective and less travel for players not at elite level yet in the second tier of Eastern AFL and below that in third tier Nab type league.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
RESERVES SCRATCH MATCHES SCHEDULED FOR ROUND THREE

Hawthorn and Richmond
– Thursday, June 18
North Melbourne and Western Bulldogs – Friday, June 19
Brisbane and West Coast – Saturday, June 20
St Kilda and Collingwood – Saturday, June 20
Geelong and Carlton – Saturday, June 20
Gold Coast and Adelaide – Sunday, June 21
Melbourne and Essendon – Sunday, June 21

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't see AFL Victoria giving the stand alone clubs any support at all, given their past history. I feel like it's more and more likely that the remaining clubs, plus Sandringham, Box Hill and Casey, will either form a stand alone state league, join suburban competitions or just outright fold like Preston has done.
Can the vfl club's simply join the VFA again? Admitting I don't know anything about how the lower leagues work

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
Can the vfl club's simply join the VFA again? Admitting I don't know anything about how the lower leagues work
There isn't a VFA competition any longer, unfortunately. If one is to be revived post 2020,it all depends of if AFL Victoria allows the stand alone clubs to have their own competition, as they are the governing body.

I'm really hoping large crowds attend all 7 rounds, it will help our case enormously

Seven rounds. Two week top 4 finals is what I heard. A few EFL players will join Box Hill.
I’m pretty sure I read it was a 3 week top four which is like old final four system with two semis then Prelim and GF

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
There isn't a VFA competition any longer, unfortunately. If one is to be revived post 2020,it all depends of if AFL Victoria allows the stand alone clubs to have their own competition, as they are the governing body.

I'm really hoping large crowds attend all 7 rounds, it will help our case enormously

Yeah hopefully something gives. It would be great to have a genuine, stand alone second tier competition again in Victoria. Re-branding the VFA and giving it a degree of autonomy may be part of that.

Surely there is potential for a retro semi pro suburban league with a hipster bent to get some traction

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Yeah hopefully something gives. It would be great to have a genuine, stand alone second tier competition again in Victoria. Re-branding the VFA and giving it a degree of autonomy may be part of that.

Surely there is potential for a retro semi pro suburban league with a hipster bent to get some traction
It would be third tier in reality and would be really good if stand alone old VFA clubs were playing under VFA banner if it actually came about.
Eastern AFL would be second tier here if both these things happen in 2021.

Back