Opinion If the Premier of Victoria states that we can gather to protest, then why can't we gather to watch football?

Remove this Banner Ad

• Banned
Thank you timmy, it's seems like a pretty straight forward claim to me.

I'm not opposing anyone's right to protest, but if the powers that be don't think that's a Covid-19 issue, then I see no reason for the footy attendance ban to continue.

• Banned
Relativity of importance in the grand scheme of things.

Yes....................and?

Whose relativity? Whose importance?

Dan Andrew's "importance"?

It's not a flippant issue for me, and I dare say many others who come here.

It’s a tricky one because if the government says people aren’t allowed to protest, people are sill going to protest and then the cops will have to be heavy handed with them, the thing becomes inflamed and before you know it we have a situation similar to the US.

If there’s no spike in corona cases 2 weeks after the protest, I say open the whole lot up.

Yes....................and?

Whose relativity? Whose importance?

Dan Andrew's "importance"?

It's not a flippant issue for me, and I dare say many others who come here.

What is not a flippant issue for you? Deep seated racism, class suppression and violence in the US or people being allowed to protest while you can’t go to the footy?🤔

Tef is this fly fishing day for you?

It's clear it'll be taken in the wrong direction though the mention of footy probably encouraged that.

The crux is whether the significance of the social issue (and the net result of any crowds gathering) should override the pandemic social constraints that have been in place.

But it's obvious this will be interpreted as downplaying the social issue and posters belittling each other over their social awareness.

But it is one of the many inconsistencies in modern life.

Men are sexually harassed and it’s funny, but the same joke is condemned if it’s said about a woman.

Stories about minorities committing crimes aren’t reported on, but any crime against a minority is condemned by all.

The left are hypocrites. The right are hypocrites. The media are hypocrites. Is just the way things are.

Not sure why no one is organising a protest against the powers that stop us going to the football.

Can't complain if they are better at uniting a movement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1: the govt want to be seen to be pro blm movement

2: it’s going to happen anyway

3: standing in the way might lead to violence, the last thing the govt want

4: it’s a one off not a weekly thing multiplied by 4 or 5
This is pretty much it. Maybe the government do want to be seen as pro BLM but, more to the point, imagine the reaction if Victoria banned this protest, which has been allowed to happen throughout the western world. I wouldn't want to front a press conference to say "Look, sorry but no. We can't let you march because being perfectly consistent is the Most Important Thing. If we let you march, we'll have to let people go to the footy. Not Happening."

the right to protest is more important than watching a game, especially when you can watch the game from home just as easily
Not as simple as a right to protest.

Millions of people can't work, which is a pretty damn important right, because of strict distancing restrictions, but we are still allowed to protest in high numbers close to each other. Experts have said this for months that we cannot congregate in large groups for serious health reasons, but now that's seemingly flown out the window in western countries.

The right to protest isn't going anywhere, but it needs to be put on hold temporarily, just like the other rights we have temporarily sacrificed, if we are being serious about the distancing stuff. Otherwise, what was the last 3 months all about then; when all that hard work could potentially go to crap in order to physically protest. You can raise awareness, protest an issue, and watch all the protests, riots, looting and hypocrisy in America just as easily at home.

As VK said, we may or may not have a surge. Either way, a discussion needs to be had in two weeks time.

Go to love life sometimes.

Why act on one hypocrisy and not another is SB’s argument. He raises a fair point about the stupidity of allowing protesters in tight high number crowds, but fine small businesses for not adhering to social distancing as their livelihoods go down the crapper.
You can’t win with everyone. It’s why it should be a uniform approach rather than playing favourites on an issue.
Do you think they could actually stop people from protesting though? I mean if 100,000 people rocked up to the G you end up with no footy and a riot anyway.
Not as simple as a right to protest.

Millions of people can't work, which is a pretty damn important right, because of strict distancing restrictions, but we are still allowed to protest in high numbers close to each other. Experts have said this for months that we cannot congregate in large groups for serious health reasons, but now that's seemingly flown out the window in western countries.

The right to protest isn't going anywhere, but it needs to be put on hold temporarily, just like the other rights we have temporarily sacrificed, if we are being serious about the distancing stuff. Otherwise, what was the last 3 months all about then; when all that hard work could potentially go to crap in order to physically protest. You can raise awareness, protest an issue, and watch all the protests, riots, looting and hypocrisy in America just as easily at home.

As VK said, we may or may not have a surge. Either way, a discussion needs to be had in two weeks time.
Let's wait to see how they behave first.

Do you think they could actually stop people from protesting though? I mean if 100,000 people rocked up to the G you end up with no footy and a riot anyway.

Let's wait to see how they behave first.
Not really, they didn't even stop the few hundred 5G people last week in Brisbane.

It's difficult to maintain social distancing during a protest. They didn't really do it for the 5G protests and those are likely to be far smaller than the upcoming protests. If the British or German protests are anything to go by, then I am not holding any high hopes.

Not really, they didn't even stop the few hundred 5G people last week in Brisbane.

It's difficult to maintain social distancing during a protest. They didn't really do it for the 5G protests and those are likely to be far smaller than the upcoming protests. If the British or German protests are anything to go by, then I am not holding any high hopes.
The 5g protests were also anti lockdown and "covid is a lie" actions, most likely a very small Venn diagram between the two groups.

The 5g protests were also anti lockdown and "covid is a lie" actions, most likely a very small Venn diagram between the two groups.
I didn't mean a correlation in that sense, more so using one of the few local examples of protests during the coronavirus period. It's one of the few means we can judge recent behaviour of protesters during this period, without relying too heavily on international examples.

Tef is this fly fishing day for you?

It's clear it'll be taken in the wrong direction though the mention of footy probably encouraged that.

The crux is whether the significance of the social issue (and the net result of any crowds gathering) should override the pandemic social constraints that have been in place.

But it's obvious this will be interpreted as downplaying the social issue and posters belittling each other over their social awareness.

I am making a bloody good point KC!

Why should this be politically selective? Didn't he send in cops to arrest some protesters only a couple of weeks back?

For crissakes, the AFL can hand out a freakin' face mask at the gate, and put some hand sanitizer stations in the bays.

They could even cough up for a couple of dozen forehead thermometers to monitor people going in to the grounds!!!

This doesn't require the logistical strategy of the D Day invasion, just common bloody sense!

What is not a flippant issue for you? Deep seated racism, class suppression and violence in the US or people being allowed to protest while you can’t go to the footy?🤔

WTF has that go to do with Melbourne, Victoria, Australia!!!!!

As for this...........so what?

It's time for the mollycoddling of these entitled hysterics to cease. They are literally children.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back