Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Think I understood the mocking :) ..

The NRL Commission has not functioned as well as the AFL, no question particularly in commercial terms. Cant see current admin model sorting that out either. Possibly a benevolent dictator model might change things.
Dont know enough about the board of the ARLC to know why there seems to be constant friction between the CEO & the Commission. Compare that with our current AFL Commission that appears to simply rubber stamp whatever the admin put up.

Mr V'l as a CEO has the score on the board, as Chairman he's untried but the early signs are ... make up your own mind through whatever prism suits you.

Hmmmm, the reality is that the AFL Commission is the closest thing you are going to get to a "benevolent dictator model". Only a truly independent commission can be a benevolent dictator when it comes to professional sport.

We all have our biases but the "prism" I am judging the Vlandys / ARL/NRL situation is through one of modern professionalised governance. Having a cowboy as a krypto-executive chair heading up a billion dollar football body is almost certainly going to end in tears. The fact that so many fools are in thrall makes it even more likely that it will.

Hmmmm, the reality is that the AFL Commission is the closest thing you are going to get to a "benevolent dictator model". Only a truly independent commission can be a benevolent dictator when it comes to professional sport.

We all have our biases but the "prism" I am judging the Vlandys / ARL/NRL situation is through one of modern professionalised governance. Having a cowboy as a krypto-executive chair heading up a billion dollar football body is almost certainly going to end in tears. The fact that so many fools are in thrall makes it even more likely that it will.

I dont disagree with your thought process, however my conclusion is the jury is out, unlike the NRL press or BF posters through an AFL prism.

As a follower of a team outside the AFL chosen ;), I can understand you believing in the AFL benevolent dictator model.

Yes, it's early days and plenty of time for failure.

I dont disagree with your thought process, however my conclusion is the jury is out, unlike the NRL press or BF posters through an AFL prism.

As a follower of a team outside the AFL chosen ;), I can understand you believing in the AFL benevolent dictator model.

I don't think you fully understand my thought processes to agree or disagree with them.

I am not saying that the AFL commissioners never have biases or responds to pressures (Ironically the current Chairperson is a Perth based West Aussie btwand the commission is served by an executive headed by a south aussie). The point is AFL commission is structurally and culturally independent which places it above the fray to allow it to make strategic decisions on for the long term benefit of the game. The major players in the game (particularly the clubs) recognise the importance of this independent governance which reinforces the Commission's credibility

It is not about the merits or otherwise of V'landys. The bottom line is you have a dude now who is formally the chair of the ARLC essentially making arbitrary executive decisions on everything from extra funding to clubs (whose support he needs) and in-season rule changes. People can delude themselves the guy is some kind of genius but ultimately what he represents is the final death of any chance of rugby league achieving a modernised governance through which long term strategic decisions can be made. Rugby League probably missed its moment when Grant rolled over a few years back but V'Landys is finishing the job.

As I expected the same will most likely happen to the AFL as well.

NRL TV ratings slump after record return
By Ed Jackson
June 5, 2020 — 3.30pm

The NRL's big TV numbers following the competition's post COVID-19 shutdown restart have crashed, with over 500,000 less tuning in for Thursday's match between Brisbane and Sydney Roosters.

Mediaweek reports a total of 619,000 watched the game on Channel Nine across metro and regional areas. That figure is a stark contrast to last week's combined free-to-air audience of 952,000 for Brisbane's game against Parramatta.
That match, the first professional sport broadcast in Australia since March due to the coronavirus pandemic, drew ratings records as the NRL bathed in the sporting spotlight.

I don't think you fully understand my thought processes to agree or disagree with them.

I am not saying that the AFL commissioners never have biases or responds to pressures (Ironically the current Chairperson is a Perth based West Aussie btwand the commission is served by an executive headed by a south aussie). The point is AFL commission is structurally and culturally independent which places it above the fray to allow it to make strategic decisions on for the long term benefit of the game. The major players in the game (particularly the clubs) recognise the importance of this independent governance which reinforces the Commission's credibility

It is not about the merits or otherwise of V'landys. The bottom line is you have a dude now who is formally the chair of the ARLC essentially making arbitrary executive decisions on everything from extra funding to clubs (whose support he needs) and in-season rule changes. People can delude themselves the guy is some kind of genius but ultimately what he represents is the final death of any chance of rugby league achieving a modernised governance through which long term strategic decisions can be made. Rugby League probably missed its moment when Grant rolled over a few years back but V'Landys is finishing the job.

Benevolent dictators are benevolent to ALL.

Think you'll find V'L will step down whilst on top, making The Everest a top 5 international race (imho) is his aim, potentially the business model for Melbourne Cup is beyond repair & The Everest is challenging it after only a couple of years (as a horse race not a social event).

Some think he is a genius, on this thread some put him down because he isnt pro AFL & see this thread as AFL v the rest, such is life.
Certainly agree the structure of the game is a problem, as is Rugby & soccer.

By Ed Jackson
June 5, 2020 — 3.30pm

The NRL's big TV numbers following the competition's post COVID-19 shutdown restart have crashed, with over 500,000 less tuning in for Thursday's match between Brisbane and Sydney Roosters.

Mediaweek reports a total of 619,000 watched the game on Channel Nine across metro and regional areas. That figure is a stark contrast to last week's combined free-to-air audience of 952,000 for Brisbane's game against Parramatta.
That match, the first professional sport broadcast in Australia since March due to the coronavirus pandemic, drew ratings records as the NRL bathed in the sporting spotlight.

The fact that the game was an almighty thrashing wouldn’t have helped. Although I tuned in towards the end precisely to see just how bad it was going to get for the Broncos.

By Ed Jackson
June 5, 2020 — 3.30pm

A blowout would explain most of it. This is what often hurts the AFL with the nature of the sport, along with the longer running time.

Looks like the once dominant Broncos are going to struggle this season and that will also effect the NRL ratings in Brisbane.

The fact that the game was an almighty thrashing wouldn’t have helped. Although I tuned in towards the end precisely to see just how bad it was going to get for the Broncos.

I was going to say, a game that goes 59-0 is hardly a genuine measure for much. Channel 9 would look at the ratings for the first half to work out if there's a trend - something Joe Public generally doesn't have access to.

The Storm match on Friday only pulled 96,000 on CH 9. I don't think they or their advertisers would be very happy with that!

Last edited:
The Storm match on Friday only pulled 96,000 on CH 9. I don't think they or their advertisers would be very happy with that!

Last night the NRL wasn't in the top 20 FTA TV.

To be fair there aren't NRL games on 9 on Saturday nights

96k could have been worse but certainly not "triumph of earlier start" narrative validating

Obviously if that was on the main channel then those numbers are pretty rubbish, but for an NRL game in Melbourne they're sensational. Usually you could add all the NRL game ratings together for a weekend and they wouldn't get that in Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously if that was on the main channel then those numbers are pretty rubbish, but for an NRL game in Melbourne they're sensational. Usually you could add all the NRL game ratings together for a weekend and they wouldn't get that in Melbourne.

I think it is fair to say that Melbourne Storm on the main channel in Melbourne early June 11 weeks after the only round of AFL this season, 96K is pretty ho hum

How many times have they rated better for a non-final in Melbourne?

Maybe only once?.....109K on the AFL pre-final bye in 2017 (but up against the women's "SOO" which got 222K in Melbourne

1591516875314.png

Point is, I don't think 96K is much chop against the narrative of "OMG the NRL has started before us....VLandys is a genius"

Attachments

• 1591516779645.png
    1591516779645.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 31
Of course not, but that's not the point. Comparatively it was a decent figure, there's no need to degrade it.
Why not? its complete hubris to think this will be the norm for NRL on CH 9 in Melbourne once the AFL starts!
Thats if CH 9 are willing to put it on their main channel again in prime time.
Its easy to look good when you don't have any competition.

Interesting reading about Joseph Suallii the other day. Played state level football, Rugby, rugby league and basketball. Has just apparently signed a $2mil contract over four years To play league as a 16yr old. These sort of deals are a huge reason why changing the draft age would be crazy for the AFL if they want to get the cream of the athletes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back