Geelong 2007 vs Hawthorn 2014 - who would win?

Who would win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree with this.

You make sweeping statement comparing one GF winning side to another from the same club. Neutral fans don't give s s**t to bother the merit of it. But thank to our exchange over the past few days. I disagree and think the 08 Hawks would comfortably account for the 14 team.

Most Hawthorn fans who understand the strengths and weaknesses of both lists would disagree with you, but given they can never play each other, it is a matter of opinion , and you're entitled to yours, no matter how improbable.

If you think that replacing players like Osborne, Young, Ladson, Gilham, Campbell, Renouf with the likes of Burgoyne, Lake, Gunston, Smith, Gibson and Breust didn't make us a better team, then I don't see much point in further discussion.

Most Hawthorn fans who understand the strengths and weaknesses of both lists would disagree with you, but given they can never play each other, it is a matter of opinion , and you're entitled to yours, no matter how improbable.

If you think that replacing players like Osborne, Young, Ladson, Gilham, Campbell, Renouf with the likes of Burgoyne, Lake, Gunston, Smith, Gibson and Breust didn't make us a better team, then I don't see much point in further discussion.
Yeah it really isn't even close to be honest, and anyone who watched both teams play all season would agree. If our 08 team copped the injuries we did in 2014 we would have struggled to make finals yet alone finishing equal top. That 14 team was incredible.

I disagree with this.

You make sweeping statement comparing one GF winning side to another from the same club. Neutral fans don't give s s**t to bother the merit of it. But thank to our exchange over the past few days. I disagree and think the 08 Hawks would comfortably account for the 14 team. I think you Hawks fans get caught up with the meaning of the 14 GF (A redemption GF win. Swans can't troll you over 12. Knowing Geelong never got a redemption GF win. It was a back to back GF win) and just assume it was better. I also think you guys think because it was the middle of 3 GF wins on the trot, that must mean 14 was some sort of peak. That's not true, and is wrong.

Both Hawks teams finished second on the ladder, beating the first placed team in the GF. The 14 team was 50/50, the 08 team were underdogs. If they paled each other, 08 would get the job done.

- 08 Hodge would not have let the older one get the better of him. At his physical peak. Lighter, quicker, and just as strong as 14 Hodgey was. There would've been no gifts like what Rohan handed to him, or opportunities for goals form the boundary that you knew would go on off the boot.

- While MItchell was crap in his attempts to quieten Ablett in the 08 GF and great in the 14 GF. The 08 Mitchell would've been more effective taggin the 14 Mitchell. Ablett is by a mile a better player and tagging him was pointless. However, Mitchell's cheap shot tactic would've worked a treat on a player of limited ability as himself. Mitchell should've been NS winner in 14, and I still wonder if Longmire was on the take that day allowing him a free run.

- Can you imagine how hard the 08 Hawks would've laughed had they been up against the 14 defence? :eek:

- As you'd remember, Buddy often rooted Lake. In fact in the 14 GF, when playing in a forward line for a team getting smashed, he still rooted Lake, who lowered his colours playing a s**t game against Buddy.

- Can you imagine Gibson against the 08 forwards? Gods know how stupid he'd have looked. Dew would've barged him aside and kicked 5!

- In 14, Cyril was a negligible presence. 08 Cyril would've run all over the 14 defence.

- The 08 team played a far greater opposition. Despite Geelong 07/08 being 1-1 in GFs, which is the same score as the 12/14 Swans, they'll be remembered as a much better team. They're just in those seasons alone still in the conversation for best ever team. The Swans of the last decade will not be thoughtt of so highly in any context.

- Despite a much easier task from the beginning, and having the benefit of the Swans giving up before halftime, the 14 Hawks were only 22pts better than the 08 team. Less than a goal a quarter.

- Despite playing s**t, Geelong were still in the game at 3/4 time. They were still going for it even if nothing was working. The 14 Swans thought they'd do the same thing as 12. When that didn't work, they did nothing. 14 Hawks had a free run.

- Winning teams lifting off the gas, when a game is over as a contest in their favour like the 14 did (and 15), is actually a sign of softness. "We don't have to. The game's over. There's no point. It's too hard.".

The 08 Hawks played all the way. This is partly why Geelong never recovered from errors. With a softer team (like the 14 Hawks), they'd have played Geelong back in the game and may've even conceded the lead (Even if they still ended up winning).

All the 08 Hawks would have to do was go toe to toe with the 14 team, and the 14 team would've relented.

Despite 14 Geelong being a far weaker team than 07/08 Geelong, they still beat Hawthorn in 14.

- These are a number of reasons why the 08 Hawks would beat the 14 team. You can't deny it, they were a much better team. I reckon by 5-6 goals.

‘just for the record, Sam Mitchell took cheap shots all day in 08 GF. It’s just he didn’t have a fairy godmother umpire

These are a number of reasons why the 08 Hawks would beat the 14 team. You can't deny it, they were a much better team. I reckon by 5-6 goals.
Interesting opinion. I don't think you will find many Hawks fans that agree.
I think the 14 team is a 4-5 goal better side than 08

Wait. Is BJK saying that Hawthorn in 08 didn't have injuries or a lot of injuries?

Geelong weren't 100% in 08. But that doesn't matter when it comes to judging them.
He's saying if our 2008 side had experienced the same level of injury pressure our 2014 side did during the respective H&A season then it would have struggled to get into the end of season position it did. The 2008 side did however experience significant injury pressure going into and during the 2008 GF so it certainly wasn't smooth sailing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a difference between matches that matter (finals), and one off anomalies. Here's another way of looking at it: Any time Geelong meets Hawthorn in a GF, Hawthorn wins. Good enough for you? (and I say this begrudgingly because I hate Hawthorn! But credit where credit is due).

Besides, have you got any better logic?

FFS get your facts right.

Interesting opinion. I don't think you will find many Hawks fans that agree.
I think the 14 team is a 4-5 goal better side than 08
When I read these opionons for/against, I just note that all the favourable points are is given to the 14 team. As a neutral, I'm also inclined to think the more the 08 team is diminished, the more Geelong can be ripped on for it.

Both teams finish 2nd on the ladder and beat the top team in the GF. I've looked up the ladders of both seasons, the 08 side scored 2434 point in the H&A season, to the 14's 2458. 08 scored 260pts in the finals to 238 in 14. 3 wins each in those finals series, and I think the 08 opposition was overall more difficult. Where are the 4-5 goals coming from?

When arguing with hk89 over the Geelong 07/Hawthorn 14 teams, I make the point that there are some things that are inferred (Rightly or wrongly). My inference would be the question is a one off, everything on the line game (What a GF is). We know that there's far more tension in s GF and strengths and weknesses are exposed and/or magnified.

We've seen often that the strengths of a team during the H7A season, what kind of team they're identified with, often are irrelevant and can be a weakness when playing in a GF. Experience, talent, flair, balance, is great. But you can often mark down a team because of it. Minerboy's earlier point of the 14 team being more polished is a thumbs down, and you can mark them harder for it. Who cares about being polished? Definitely not one Hawthorn fan during the 13 GF.

You can up the marking for the capability of bringing pressure and grizzle. Hawthorn of 08 had heaps of pressure and grizzle, which was then raised up a level in the GF. The 08 team would be excited and amped up by the possibility of playing a team of the calibre of the 14 team.

It's understandable to me that 14 is a favourite GF for Hawthorn fans and that team is embellished because of it. But Sydney of that time is not going to be thought of as particularly special team, even if they were on top of the ladder. Either as a GF loser, previous GF winner, or 1-1 GF teams in a short period.

As spectacular as the 14GF was. A lot of neutrals saw the week before (and were cheering on) how Port almost picked you guys off. The intensity of their 14GF I think was down to playing a team that handed an stinging loss in the 12 GF (And can only be brought out and channeled for a team like Sydney). Had you guys played Fremantle again. You might've won comfortably, but I don't think it would've been emphatic.

It's understandable to me that 14 is a favourite GF for Hawthorn fans and that team is embellished because of it. But Sydney of that time is not going to be thought of as particularly special team, even if they were on top of the ladder. Either as a GF loser, previous GF winner, or 1-1 GF teams in a short period.
Sydney were a very strong side in 2014. They absolutely mauled Geelong mid season. Mick Malthouse proclaimed they had the best and deepest list he’d ever seen in his time in the game. The media spent all of GF week talking about them as if they were already premiers despite Hawthorn being the reigning premiers and finishing the H&A on equal points and just 2.1% behind them.

Hawthorn then DESTROYED them. They won’t be remembered as a special team because they weren’t a great side. It will be because Hawthorn made them appear to be that way such was the manner in which they beat them in the one game people always remember in a season.

2012 would win. There was 10 week patch in 2012 which was better than any period over 2013-2015
I agree with this. Hawthorn in 2012 looked unstoppable. Even in that Hawkins game, the brilliance of the football they played to haul themselves back into that contest was jaw-droppingly good. It was just one huge choke that beat them in a brilliant GF.

2013, Hawthorn was the best of what was a pretty great three-way contest between themselves, us and Freo. 2014, they weren't the best team across the year but they were brilliant on the day. But 2012 really was the peak of their powers, they were streets ahead.

Yes, so good , Hawthorn 2007's team beat them. So good.

Geelong's well past it 2014 beat Hawthorn in 2014 as well. Can't have been all that great ;)

I'll give you one thing the 07 and 08 Geelong sides had in common. They both lost to Hawthorn sides that were far inferior to the 2014 Hawthorn side.

How do you keep posting this as if it's evidence of anything?

Hawthorn lost a lot of games to Geelong sides clearly inferior to the 07, do you just forget that your statement goes both ways?

Last edited:
Back