Owners

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if Moomba will put this one down to protectionism ...
I put it down to a random Twitter account pretending to be ITK.

I'll be surprised if the deal doesn't happen. If it doesn't it will be because there's more money for the Premier League by saying no than saying yes. And no other reason.

You obviously have more faith in the motives of the premier league than I do.

Fit & proper test (for anyone who has a controlling interest of 30% or more) in a club is the main reason club ownership deals are curtailed. Nothing to do with money, if it was just abkut money the Saudis would be in straight away. Nobody has more dough.

I would say Saudi Arabia's atrocious human rights record and the fact that the Saudis ordered a journalist that was outspoken against them to be executed in their own embassy may be proving problematic for the fit & proper test.

For some its obviously a huge issue but others tend to ignore it for whatever reason.

Fit & proper test (for anyone who has a controlling interest of 30% or more) in a club is the main reason club ownership deals are curtailed. Nothing to do with money, if it was just abkut money the Saudis would be in straight away. Nobody has more dough.

I would say Saudi Arabia's atrocious human rights record and the fact that the Saudis ordered a journalist that was outspoken against them to be executed in their own embassy may be proving problematic for the fit & proper test.

For some its obviously a huge issue but others tend to ignore it for whatever reason.

Like I said, you have more faith in the motives of the premier league than I do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So 3 things would survive a nuclear holocaust? Keith Richards, cockroaches and Mike Ashley.

One could argue the last two are actually a distinction without a difference. Poor Geordies

So 3 things would survive a nuclear holocaust? Keith Richards, cockroaches and Mike Ashley.

One could argue the last two are actually a distinction without a difference. Poor Geordies

I mean 'poor Geordies' seems like a total misallocation of priorities. I don't think Mike Ashley is a particularly detestable figure when you compare him to the Saudi Arabian royal family backed wealth fund. Ashley isn't out sanctioning murder or oppressing millions. It would have been a disgrace to allow the Saudis to sportswash their regime (just like it is with PSG & Qatar) through the Premier League/Newcastle United. It's a great day for football and the Premier League that they have been forced to withdraw.

I mean this seems like a total misallocation of priorities. I don't think Mike Ashley is a particularly detestable figure when you compare him to the Saudi Arabian royal family backed wealth fund. Ashley isn't out sanctioning murder or oppressing millions. It would have been a disgrace to allow the Saudis to sportswash their regime (just like it is with PSG & Qatar) through the Premier League/Newcastle United. It's a great day for football and the Premier League that they have been forced to withdraw.

EPL would have wanted their cash in the league but between just being Saudi Arabia and the BeOutQ crap it was never happening although the EPL deserve a lot of s**t for going radio silent on this and not giving a sturdy * off when they first tried to buy the club.

I mean 'poor Geordies' seems like a total misallocation of priorities. I don't think Mike Ashley is a particularly detestable figure when you compare him to the Saudi Arabian royal family backed wealth fund. Ashley isn't out sanctioning murder or oppressing millions. It would have been a disgrace to allow the Saudis to sportswash their regime (just like it is with PSG & Qatar) through the Premier League/Newcastle United. It's a great day for football and the Premier League that they have been forced to withdraw.
Logged into the wrong account Zidane.

Deflect all you want, but if your takeaway from this all is "poor Geordies" and that Mike Ashley is the ultimate villain, then I think your moral compass needs some severe introspection/amending.
Sorry but an owner who would let his/her club die before investing is worse than an owner who spends.

P.S. He at one point admitted to SportsDirect staff not receiving minimum wage, and at one point was embroiled in legal battles with MP’s and unions over the conditions staff had to work under at his warehouses.

He’s an a-hole and a reprehensible owner.

But still better than the Saudis is the point.
One I disagree with. He’s reprehensible in another way as a businessman and worse as an owner as he bleeds the club dry rather than pump money into it.

Sorry but an owner who would let his/her club die before investing is worse than an owner who spends.

P.S. He at one point admitted to SportsDirect staff not receiving minimum wage, and at one point was embroiled in legal battles with MP’s and unions over the conditions staff had to work under at his warehouses.

He’s an a-hole and a reprehensible owner.

Newcastle are hardly on their deathbed under Ashley though and he did spend a fair bit in this last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back