Who's closer to a flag? Adelaide, Port Adelaide or Fremantle?

Who wins their next flag before the others?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Port, only interesting part will be how their younger players develop. There can be a trap sometimes to assume anyone in the their first year or two of football get better and keep improving gradually each year. History says that doesn't always happen.

Sam Powell Pepper

Port Adelaide then Adelaide and then Fremantle.

Fremantle need to overhaul their list management processes what with a number of their good players already leaving or wanting out. Hogan is the longest in a line of spud forwards brought in under false pretences which at the same time helped to remove problem children from other clubs. A flag is a long way off for the team who ironically are based in a suburb called Success.

Freo had a decent enough season given where their list is at. Beat five of the finalists but ran out of steam after Hogan went down. They're in a position to continue building up, and a new coach might deliver the impetus needed to forge them into a contender... or he might not. Jury out.

Port still have a chance to make it work. The youth they discovered in 2019 has breathed some life into them. On the other hand, Hinkley's message isn't getting through to the older players. Collectively, the imports haven't delivered and that's what sunk Brad Scott. The talent is there to do better; not sure Hinkley can tap it. 9th, 10th, 7th, 10th, 10th... running out of time in this cycle.

Adelaide have some serious work to do to get the list and best 22 back in balance, and look the furthest away at this stage.

It's going to be a long time before any of these clubs get a chance as the Geelongs, West Coasts and Hawthorns continue to enjoy success.

It can be a real fool's errand saying any side is closer than the others when all 3 are so far off it. When the problems are more endemic than just shuffling around the final pieces to make a push it can be really anyone's guess. Crows wont win one under Pyke and we wont win one under Hinkley...Freo are harder to tell having moved Ross on and arguably you could say that puts them closer as they have already pulled the trigger on change. I voted for us because I rank our youngest talent higher than the other two clubs but that's a very very small part of the picture unfortunately when it comes to at least the issues present at both South Australian clubs (I for obvious reasons have a lot less of a knowledge about whats going on at Freo as I dont consume as much media on them)

If Port can start the Pre Season under a new coach then I am excited, otherwise all we are doing is spinning the wheels and probably will finish somewhere between 9-11th in perpetuity until the necessary changes are made no matter who we draft or trade in until we spunk away the promise of Rozee, Houston, Duursma et al as we did with the Wines, Wingard, Polec era of young talent.

Remarkably I voted for the crows to get to the flag 1st. Probably by say..... 2027.

I look at this crows list. They made a grand final in 2017 with 15 and a half wins. Last year they got 12 wins and narrowly miss out when most of the time 12 wins is enough to get 8th spot, should of made finals in 2018. This year they got 10 wins and should of made the 8 had they beaten essendon, carlton and Brisbane.

They have some good but ageing players. They are capable of making the 8 like most teams.

Port have an alright list. Yeah, they got some good kids in Rozee and Duursma. Got them both on my supercoach side.

Forward line is good despite Wingard gone. Midfield is solid with boak, wines, SPP, Rozee, Amon and Brad Ebert.

I am not sold on their backline as some days that back 6 can have a bad day and concede badly. The other bigger concern is Ryder is 31 years old and is going to leave Port. Travis Boak, Robbie Gray and Justin Westhoff are all from that 2006 draft. Its 2019 now. All 3 are at the end of their careers.

Saying that, if Hinkley does get sacked this time next year, Any half decent coach can do well with Ports current list. I reckon port might spend 1 more year out the 8 then get a good finals run.

Freo is in a weird situtation. They sacked ross Lyon. the team is capable of doing damage. Freo has knocked off some teams in the top 8 in Perth such as Geelong, Brisbane and Bulldogs.

Injuries had hurt freo. Need to replace the strength and conditioning coaches and medical staff.

Saying that, the ross lyon rebuild has been a mixed result.

If we get a half decent coach, I predict this next coach will last between 4-6 years if things pan out. Hoping for a 3-4 year run of finals for Fyfe and Walters and Stephen Hill get one last shot of the flag, but Sadly I dont see it.

Port Adelaide then Adelaide and then Fremantle.

Fremantle need to overhaul their list management processes what with a number of their good players already leaving or wanting out. Hogan is the longest in a line of spud forwards brought in under false pretences which at the same time helped to remove problem children from other clubs. A flag is a long way off for the team who ironically are based in a suburb called Success.
Hogan > Fat McGovern

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say Port as they remind me of Richmond pre 2017, good list underperforming and a fanbase baying for the coach's blood.

I don't buy the logic that one team is closer to a flag than another because they've already started their rebuild.

Fremantle were supposed to be closer to a flag than West Coast in 2018 because they'd already started their rebuild.

Carlton were supposed to be closer to a flag than Richmond in 2017 because they'd already started their rebuild.

Freo had a decent enough season given where their list is at. Beat five of the finalists but ran out of steam after Hogan went down. They're in a position to continue building up, and a new coach might deliver the impetus needed to forge them into a contender... or he might not. Jury out.

Port still have a chance to make it work. The youth they discovered in 2019 has breathed some life into them. On the other hand, Hinkley's message isn't getting through to the older players. Collectively, the imports haven't delivered and that's what sunk Brad Scott. The talent is there to do better; not sure Hinkley can tap it. 9th, 10th, 7th, 10th, 10th... running out of time in this cycle.

Adelaide have some serious work to do to get the list and best 22 back in balance, and look the furthest away at this stage.
When you think about it, From that 2015-19 run, Port have underachieved with that list. After making finals in 2013-14, only made finals in 2017 and were unlucky vs west coast in that home elim final.

Its bad that Port didnt make finals in 2015-6 and 2018-19. Should of made finals each year from 2015-19. Would of been a good finals run from 2013-19 if they did.

Fremantle's best 22 is as good as any. Their problem is they have arguably the most injury prone spine in the league. Hogan, Pearce, Lobb and Darcy miss way too many games for Freo to be able to achieve any semblance of consistency. If those guys stayed fit (along with Hamling and Taberner), and if Longmuir ends up a decent coach (which is anyone's guess really), they should be pushing for finals really.

They could have made finals in 2019 if it weren't for injuries. Were definitely on track halfway through the season. They sat 2nd after 6 games, and were still top 8 when it hit Round 15. Their season just fell apart in the last 8 weeks of the season.

I actually picked Port here, only because I am doubtful of Fremantle's ability to keep their players on the park. But if they can fix that side of things, I would easily be picking them for the next flag from this group

Far too many draft picks, trades, young kids developing to make a call in more than 2 years. If any of them could do a 'bolt from the blue' a la Bulldogs or Richmond - Freo or maaaaaaybe Adelaide. Freo have the 2 best players in the 3 clubs - Fyfe and Walters. Adelaide have a lot of players in their prime now - whether that prime is good enough is debateable.

But if Adelaide don't snatch a flag in the next year or 2, I think they are in for some pain. Port and Freo are in a better place to build on.

Back