Should geelong be allowed to play all home finals at geelong in 2020?

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Given the fact there will be no crowds in 2020, should geelong be allowed to play all home finals at geelong??

I don’t see anything but straw man arguments as to why not.

see it becoming a highly likely scenario that could play out if geelong do finish that high up, and Richmond collingwood etc are forced to drive down the highway for a prelim.

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
yeah, because geelong supporters can’t talk about stuff related to geelong. Weird idea that is
You have every right to make a thread & have an opinion on the matter, no qualms there, unfortunately it just feeds the trolls more than an impartial poster would posing the same question.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
If they re-model the ground so one of the wings isn't straight I don't see why not, although I'd also like to see us (and every other team) play 4 or 5 games there before finals as well, plus have Geelong share the ground with 3 or 4 other teams, just to even everything up.

HardcoreGeelongFan

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
St Kilda
Given the fact there will be no crowds in 2020, should geelong be allowed to play all home finals at geelong??

I don’t see anything but straw man arguments as to why not.

see it becoming a highly likely scenario that could play out if geelong do finish that high up, and Richmond collingwood etc are forced to drive down the highway for a prelim.

I wouldn't expect to see any support from a bunch of jealous shareteams forced to roll in eachothers piss. At the end of the day Kardinia is our home ground & making us play anywhere else jeopardizes the integrity of the competition. Especially if we finish higher than another team and in finals are forced to play at their home ground.

The entire finals system needs to be further refined and ground advantages for particular ladder positions removed entirely. You cannot have a credible system where 1st, 2nd, 5th & 6th are specifically awarded home finals... except when the afl wants to make lots of money

Last edited:

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
If they re-model the ground so one of the wings isn't straight I don't see why not.
Moorabool street has something to say about that I’m afraid....In any case the shape of the ground shouldn’t matter, it is always about the availability of seats for the AFL, so if we’re still restricted come finals then surely we play their....If it’s back to normal, well off to the MCG we go.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
If they re-model the ground so one of the wings isn't straight I don't see why not, although I'd also like to see us (and every other team) play 4 or 5 games there before finals as well, plus have Geelong share the ground with 3 or 4 other teams, just to even everything up.

why should anything be evened up if it’s our home final??

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I wouldn't expect to see any support from a bunch of jealous shareteams forced to roll in eachothers piss. At the end of the day Kardinia is our home ground & making us play anywhere else jeopardizes the integrity of the competition. Especially if we finish higher than another team and in finals are forced to play at their home ground.

The entire finals system needs to be further refined and ground advantages for particular ladder positions removed entirely. You cannot have a credible system where 1st, 2nd, 5th & 6th are specifically awarded home finals... except when the afl wants to make lots of money

This is exactly the problem and the double standard at play.

when it suits their pockets, it’s about fairness and granting home finals, when it doesn’t suit their pockets, home finals all of a sudden get moved for the “fans” $$$$.

Back