Food, Drink & Dining Out What did you cook for dinner last night?

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
20200418_182007.jpg

Mediterranean Lamb Shoulder

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Nice.

Mum came over for a visit during the week with a bunch of containers full of Sarma & Grah.

Love me some Croat comfort food.
Yep, grah is next 👍🏻 I made the paprika last week too, I love cooking in winter!
The peppers are all from my garden
93C4A74E-831F-46FD-9D6A-45E77DB03CA0.jpeg

A5A23D53-EE8D-4C8D-967D-05E767729C70.jpeg

Love that
Have you ever had it made with pickled green chillies baked in the oven its delicious ?
No mine is the traditional way my Croatian mum always made it, sounds interesting though tell me more.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
No mine is the traditional way my Croatian mum always made it, sounds interesting though tell me more.
Similar stuffing pork mince,onion, rice, paprika, garlic, parsley, a bit of mint and oregano.
You brown this before stuffing
Stuff long pickled banana chilli put them in a tray surrounded by left over rice meat mix
add water and bake
you can add stuffed tomatoes too in the tray
Crunchy bits on the ends are my faves

Its delicious sour salty crunchy mushy and excellent

Similar stuffing pork mince, rice, paprika, garlic, parsley, a bit of mint and oregano.
Stuff long pickled banana chilli put them in a tray surrounded by left over rice meat mix
add water and bake
you can add stuffed tomatoes too in the tray
Crunchy bits on the ends are my faves

Its delicious sour salty crunchy mushy and excellent
Sounds like something my hubby would like, I might have to give it a shot once the peppers are in season again. Do you pickle your own?

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Sounds like something my hubby would like, I might have to give it a shot once the peppers are in season again. Do you pickle your own?
I have in the past (last time I made it I bought a jar)
I haven't grown bananas chillies for a while but pickle hot chillies pretty regularly

I will plant some banana chilli on Monday now Im inspired (they grow all year in Qld)

Pickle them green to stay crisp the reds get too soft and dont have that taste.
Add one hot green chilli to the jar to flavour the whole jar slightly
Use long necked jars like passata jars as they stay submerged and you dont get soft ones at the top

I have in the past (last time I made it I bought a jar)
I haven't grown bananas chillies for a while but pickle hot chillies pretty regularly

I will plant some banana chilli on Monday now Im inspired (they grow all year in Qld)

Pickle them green to stay crisp the reds get too soft and dont have that taste.
Add one hot green chilli to the jar to flavour the whole jar slightly
Use long necked jars like passata jars as they stay submerged and you dont get soft ones at the top
Yeh I’m a bit of a pickler myself, here’s some of my stuff. Chillies, peppers, sun dried tomatoes, pesto and some Vietnamese pickles. Everything grown myself.

34E73CBE-3F64-4832-BB52-B5031150A10B.jpeg

D1F64A46-69E3-42C6-98E8-494F55A11826.jpeg

89A12F27-F58D-41F2-B865-EDE5E8DB0FB4.jpeg

39F6BF76-C460-4862-A3E3-B374371B691A.jpeg

Not pickled but this is my last last jar of this years batch of olives.

Garlic, oregano and chilli flakes.

View attachment 887737
Oh man, they were so f***ing good. Even my bro in law who does his own too said your olives were some of the best he’s had 👍🏻

Also for anyone who’d like to try pickling/canning/preserving there’s many easy and very satisfying ways to do it and you don’t need expensive jars/fancy water baths etc. Everything I use is from $2 shops and second hand shops etc. You just need to wash it scrupulously and boil the jars for 10 minutes in a big pot before you use them.

Oh man, they were so f***ing good. Even my bro in law who does his own too said your olives were some of the best he’s had 👍🏻
That's always nice to hear.

As you know, olives take a lot of time and effort to do.

That's always nice to hear.

As you know, olives take a lot of time and effort to do.
I know even though I have never done them myself I’ve seen other people do it. You got the mix just right with yours and they were very easy to eat.
You just can’t compare with crap you buy from the shop.

I know even though I have never done them myself I’ve seen other people do it. You got the mix just right with yours and they were very easy to eat.
You just can’t compare with crap you buy from the shop.
That batch I gave you were from trees the council had planted in roundabouts in the street I used to live in. All I had to do was walk across the park and pick as many olives as I wanted.

The batch in the photo I posted are from my uncle's house. He bought the property behind him and turned it into a mini market garden. He grows everything and has chooks for eggs. He even got the still my Dida had and makes all sorts of wonderful alcoholic beverages.

That batch I gave you were from trees the council had planted in roundabouts in the street I used to live in. All I had to do was walk across the park and pick as many olives as I wanted.

The batch in the photo I posted are from my uncle's house. He bought the property behind him and turned it into a mini market garden. He grows everything and has chooks for eggs. He even got the still my Dida had and makes all sorts of wonderful alcoholic beverages.
Sounds amazing, a piece of the old country. I’ll do a tour one day.

Sounds amazing, a piece of the old country. I’ll do a tour one day.
I can't imagine not growing up with an ethic lifestyle.

We used to laugh at the Skips with their meat pies and Vegemite sandwiches for lunch.

Poor bastards.

Back