Opinion If the Premier of Victoria states that we can gather to protest, then why can't we gather to watch football?

Remove this Banner Ad

Haters is a loaded term IMO. Many police have reinforced the problem (both here and abroad). In general though, I'm of the view that police in democracies general reflect the population - for better or worse and it is the community view that drives long term cultural change.
Yep - I have no doubt there is a problem. It is just how big or small a problem that would be in debate.

How about if it’s a case of you can only go in a corporate box? How much are they? Will they price gouge?? And who is up for chipping in and attending a match???
Maybe we can buy a quarter each.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
How about if it’s a case of you can only go in a corporate box? How much are they? Will they price gouge?? And who is up for chipping in and attending a match???

I will wait outside.

Serious, I would rather have teeth pulled than sit in the sterility of a Box.

As much as its a pain playing against *, the Crowd, the noise, the roar, the banter and winning makes the day.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My iPhone crashed this afternoon and the screen went black with intermittent Apple logo flashing on and off. Just wondering if that counts as a black out Saturday protest for #blacklivesmatter. Anyone know?

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I will wait outside.

Serious, I would rather have teeth pulled than sit in the sterility of a Box.

As much as its a pain playing against *, the Crowd, the noise, the roar, the banter and winning makes the day.

It’s a great day when you’re a neutral. Free piss and food, races on the telly. Not so much when you are invested in the game.

Mind you, I wouldn’t mind trying it with 20 of my nearest and dearest for a North game. Open the window and go nuts.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Vote Biden, Vote Albanese, Vote Andrews, Vote whoever you want, JUST BOUNCE THE F%CKEN :footy:

This we can agree upon.

Also, if there is a sudden spike in Covid19 due to the protest march, and it results in further delays to the :footy: then god help them.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
This we can agree upon.

Also, if there is a sudden spike in Covid19 due to the protest march, and it results in further delays to the :footy: then god help them.

Especially considering all the bullshit about aboriginal folks being "more vulnerable"

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Especially considering all the bullshit about aboriginal folks being "more vulnerable"

Well if the data supports that assertion, then fair enough. But does it? I'm unaware of specific disproportionate positive Covid19 tests and fatalities among the indigenous community but I'm sure someone on here has all the facts.

The scariest thing of all will be if there ISN'T a spike in a week or two after what we are seeing right now. What will that tell us about the epidemiological theory.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Well if the data supports that assertion, then fair enough. But does it? I'm unaware of specific disproportionate positive Covid19 tests and fatalities among the indigenous community but I'm sure someone on here has all the facts.

I am aware of no vulnerable genetic pre-disposition in Australian aborigines.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why are these communities being singled out?
Put bluntly, people living there are vulnerable.

People with underlying medical conditions are known to be at greater risk from Covid-19 - and diabetes and renal failure are more prevalent among Indigenous Australians than the general population.

There are also much higher smoking rates - bad news when dealing with a respiratory condition.

"There is no way that existing medical services can cope if the virus gets into a remote community," says Indigenous rights campaigner Gerry Georgatos. "It's going to be disastrous."

It's pretty common sense- they don't have the requisite facilities to deal with a virus they cannot vaccinate against in regional communities

r_boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 12, 2007
Northern Territory
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think in some sense these protests are a symptom of the pandemic and it is the correct choice to allow them to happen and ventilate the situation.

Nevertheless I don't believe these protesters should feel proud about their actions. Spreading the virus will affect the most disadvantaged parts of society (poor, sick) and there is no escaping that fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

It's pretty common sense- they don't have the requisite facilities to deal with a virus they cannot vaccinate against in regional communities

I understand the common-sense presumption that Covid19 represents a greater risk to Indigenous people. I just wonder whether the data has shown this to be the case or if it's proving to be yet another strange anomaly of this virus.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I understand the common-sense presumption that Covid19 represents a greater risk to Indigenous people. I just wonder whether the data has shown this to be the case or if it's proving to be yet another strange anomaly of this virus.
It's going to be hard to ascertain anything from the pandemic so far as we did such a stellar job of mitigation. But the reasoning for protecting regional areas is sound to me.. they don't have the care facilities for a pandemic. And I'm not sure the indigenous population living in urban areas was treated any differently to you or I.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

They also have generally poorer health, with a larger percentage of comorbidities which we understand puts them in the high risk category should they contract the COVID.

What's the bigger concern for people? Andrew's hypocrisy or the actual health and well being of the community with the potential spread of the virus because of the protests?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
What's the bigger concern for people? Andrew's hypocrisy or the actual health and well being of the community with the potential spread of the virus because of the protests?

There's a 3rd option, which is a beneficial evolutionary outcome.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I dont think Andrews was being a “hypocrite” as you suggest. However, this could play out.. lets think on the positive side, if there is no spread? Or very little communicable transmission due to the protest, then crowds will be back sooner rather than later.

looking at the media this morning it appears as though there was only issues of violence and over policing in sydney. Images of melb protest showed nearly all people wearing masks and loads of sanitisers were supplied. And dont use this argument at the footy crowds, people wont adhere to the policy “gotta drink my beer” “oh I lost it” “i cant yell abuse at MacMillan”.

the opportunity for protest doesn’t come along every day. Its a catch 22. Both are significantly important

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Which is?

Stupid people get infected and are exponentially removed for the gene pool.

I am probbaly as best educated with this viral stuff as anyone who posts here, and I don't have a clue about the true epidemiology underpinning this pandemic, so if politics is going to selectively pick & choose, then that is the problem.

Last edited:
I dont think Andrews was being a “hypocrite” as you suggest. However, this could play out.. lets think on the positive side, if there is no spread? Or very little communicable transmission due to the protest, then crowds will be back sooner rather than later.

looking at the media this morning it appears as though there was only issues of violence and over policing in sydney. Images of melb protest showed nearly all people wearing masks and loads of sanitisers were supplied. And dont use this argument at the footy crowds, people wont adhere to the policy “gotta drink my beer” “oh I lost it” “i cant yell abuse at MacMillan”.

the opportunity for protest doesn’t come along every day. Its a catch 22. Both are significantly important

I'm not specifically calling Andrews a hypocrite (I think he bungled the message though) but more getting and understanding of the point of the thread.

I'm not the biggest fan of Andrews but think he's handled the crisis for the most part ok.

I don't recall the angst towards the 5G protesters, other than "look at those nutbags".

I'm all for criticising politicians providing it's consistent.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Stupid people get infected and are exponentially removed for the gene pool.

I am probbaly as best educated with this viral stuff as anyone who posts here, and I don't have a clue about the true epidemiology underpinning this pandemic, so if politics is going to selectively pick & choose, then that is the problem.

FFS - the s**t that gurgles out of this mouth. I should have done this a long time ago.... ignore.

I presume the overriding stat on this is the fact that Indigenous life expectancy is substantially lower than the rest of Australia. It becomes a no-brainer, without the need for further investigation, that they are among the most at risk during Covid-19?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back