Warne calls S.Waugh "Most selfish" cricketer he's played with

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
as far as personalities go.. Mr S Waugh was a tyrant... I loved his work but he was a bloody ripper at letting people know he
was not interested in mediocrity.. the dude was riding the balls of a bull..

get on me and get on and track the reasonable idea that he wasn't perfect... sheesh...

he never threatened to send anyone home from a tour though.

border may well have done that to mcdermott during a tour game on an ashes tour.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Has there ever been a better player - Lara is one that maybe comes to mind - who was better at putting drama aside to perform for his team?

Shane Warne did a pretty good job of personal problems to one side to perform for Australia in the 2005 Ashes series. Warne probably still bitter about being dropped and overlooked for the role of captain yet produced an amazing spell of bowling to give Australia hope of winning the 99 semi vs South Africa.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
1590675958795.png

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Funny how Warne has never held it against his mate AB for the same thing Waugh did to earn a decades-long grudge. This is amplified by the FACT that Steve Waugh believed in Warne enough to help revive his career at the 99 WC just months later.
No coincidence that Warne doesn't have any issues with captains who he wasn't competing with for the appointment.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
No coincidence that Warne doesn't have any issues with captains who he wasn't competing with for the appointment.

Sadly he couldn't replicate the feat of Richie Benuad in being a bowling Captain….Mostly cause he didn't have half the character, maturity, leadership & smarts.

His constant whining, bitching & moaning in the media ever since, has proven the selectors right on that score.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Sadly he couldn't replicate the feat of Richie Benuad in being a bowling Captain….Mostly cause he didn't have half the character, maturity, leadership & smarts.

His constant whining, bitching & moaning in the media ever since, has proven the selectors right on that score.

As an actual leader he’s not exactly the sort of person to look towards as an example but I think we all know tactically he was very good and one thing he would have almost certainly done is back in his teammates when it counted.

Hypothetically if he did say the Scott muller thing, warne being Warne, is expect that when muller was actually next to him he’d be in his ear telling him how good he is and that he’s the man for the job etc

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As an actual leader he’s not exactly the sort of person to look towards as an example but I think we all know tactically he was very good and one thing he would have almost certainly done is back in his teammates when it counted.

Hypothetically if he did say the Scott muller thing, warne being Warne, is expect that when muller was actually next to him he’d be in his ear telling him how good he is and that he’s the man for the job etc
Disagree, with how Warne comes across post-retirement I think he would have backed his personal mates in even if they weren't good enough, and actively tried to push anyone else out of the side.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Disagree, with how Warne comes across post-retirement I think he would have backed his personal mates in even if they weren't good enough, and actively tried to push anyone else out of the side.

I think the Warne of now would have done it - rightly or wrongly (wrongly most likely) that Caribbean non selection was probably the tipping point that sent him from the ‘one of the boys’ camp into the maverick camp

Darren Berry to play 50 tests?

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Warne only had a great cricket mind because Ian Chappell said he did. Warne is arguably THE greatest bowler of all time. He was at his best as a slightly overweight cigarette smoking junk food eating ozzie bloke. As the yeh yeh Lambo driving Hurley dating (lucky bugger) cosmetic enhanced face Warnie he is a roll gold w***er.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Warne only had a great cricket mind because Ian Chappell said he did. Warne is arguably THE greatest bowler of all time. He was at his best as a slightly overweight cigarette smoking junk food eating ozzie bloke. As the yeh yeh Lambo driving Hurley dating (lucky bugger) cosmetic enhanced face Warnie he is a roll gold w***er.

I don’t necessarily disagree but a big part of me feels sorry for Warnie because he seems to have a very inherent need to be liked. That sort of thing can play havoc with your mentality and your behaviour

ponting certainly. Taylor crafted that side though and didn’t have the luxury of Gilchrist in particular

Taylor crafting the side dont know about that really? warne and mcgrath were there already, healy and the waughs, taylor himself, boon, slater
i mean gilchrist could have played the last few years of taylors captaincy if he was crafting the side.

Not like he took some losing spuds and crafted a winning side, a fair few thrived more once he went like langer hayden ponting lehmann

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
People forget that when Warne was dropped he was not being replaced by some no hoper. Stuart McGill was arguably a top 5 spin bowler in the world as well. It wouldn't have taken a huge drop off from Warne for McGill to be considered a better option. In fact, I think I read somewhere in games where Warne and McGill both played it was McGill that had the overall better bowling statistics.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Great read here

This is Part 4 which covers the 4th test of the 1999 series

People forget that when Warne was dropped he was not being replaced by some no hoper. Stuart McGill was arguably a top 5 spin bowler in the world as well.
Warne wasn't replaced by MacGill, he was replaced by Colin Miller who actually is somewhat forgotten as a quality bowler. Everybody knows MacGill was good, seemingly the only thing forgotten about him is the amount of junk he bowled.

It wouldn't have taken a huge drop off from Warne for McGill to be considered a better option.
And yet, the only time MacGill was ever considered a better option was when Warne (injury/suspension aside) had a huge drop-off...

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Warne wasn't replaced by MacGill, he was replaced by Colin Miller who actually is somewhat forgotten as a quality bowler. Everybody knows MacGill was good, seemingly the only thing forgotten about him is the amount of junk he bowled.

And yet, the only time MacGill was ever considered a better option was when Warne (injury/suspension aside) had a huge drop-off...

My observations/recollections.

MacGill on his day was as good as Warne, problem was 'his day' were few and far between and aside from the fact he didn't have the amazing control Warne possessed with ball, MacGill simply didn't have the competitive spirit, gamesmanship and self belief Warne had.

If MacGill got thrashed around during his first spell in a test, he'd drop his head and he'd generally struggle for the remainder of the test.

Comparatively, when Warne would bowl a rare long hop and get smacked out of the ground, he'd still have arms in air shouting 'catch-it' and then start shaking his head, as if the ball has somehow magically stayed in the field of play and been dropped!
Some batsmen would ignore these antics, but most would at least react with a wry smile or a sly comment - and Warne would always be ready with a response; "C'mon mate, that was just a wild slog, could of gone anywhere!"

Then usually a few balls later Warne would bowl what appeared to be another long hop, but just a little fuller, it would be the flipper and accordingly the said batsmen would suddenly either be looking at his broken stumps or he'd be plumb LBW !

Warne was also very good, particularly with Ponting, as sometimes moving fieldsmen for no other reason than to distract the batsmen and he'd often make a big deal of it - this is something MacGill would not even consider or understand as a tactic...

Last edited:

qman

All Australian
Jun 7, 2011
Swan Hill
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Traditional vic teams
I tend to agree, especially after listening to Warne commentate on games the last few years. I am thinking that instead of Warney having this great cricket mind, he might actually just be the most incredibly luckiest cricketer of all time. Of course, at his best, I think he was the greatest leggie of all time, freakishly good but a bit like Ian Botham, just an extremely lucky campaigner!

qman

All Australian
Jun 7, 2011
Swan Hill
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Traditional vic teams
My observations/recollections.

MacGill on his day was as good as Warne, problem was 'his day' were few and far between and aside from the fact he didn't have the amazing control Warne possessed with ball, MacGill simply didn't have the competitive spirit, gamesmanship and self belief Warne had.

If MacGill got thrashed around during his first spell in a test, he'd drop his head and he'd generally struggle for the remainder of the test.

Comparatively, when Warne would bowl a rare long hop and get smacked out of the ground, he'd still have arms in air shouting 'catch-it' and then start shaking his head, as if the ball has somehow magically stayed in the field of play and been dropped!
Some batsmen would ignore these antics, but most would at least react with a wry smile or a sly comment - and Warne would always be ready with a response; "C'mon mate, that was just a wild slog, could of gone anywhere!"

Then usually a few balls later Warne would bowl what appeared to be another long hop, but just a little fuller, it would be the flipper and accordingly the said batsmen would suddenly either be looking at his broken stumps or he'd be plumb LBW !

Warne was also very good, particularly with Ponting, as sometimes moving fieldsmen for no other reason than to distract the batsmen and he'd often make a big deal of it - this is something MacGill would not even consider or understand as a tactic...
Great post. For me, early Warne ( nobody was anywhere near as good, even on their day), after his surgery, he maintained his amazing control, couldn't spin the ball as much and needed more time to work people out, used more of his 'gamesmanship' that you included in your post. Macgill was very often more dangerous than that version of Warne.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Great post. For me, early Warne ( nobody was anywhere near as good, even on their day), after his surgery, he maintained his amazing control, couldn't spin the ball as much and needed more time to work people out, used more of his 'gamesmanship' that you included in your post. Macgill was very often more dangerous than that version of Warne.

Macgill never exhibited nor had the same control as Warne though....Every over he'd usually have one slide down leg-side a good half meter or so, out of his hand.

Back