The Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

On a similar path, I really enjoyed this a couple of weekends ago.

Was such a shame that it was so short.
Will absolutely go if they tour again though.
Closely followed by

This is pretty decent too

My favourite ever Like A Version was from last year:

I mean compare it Cruyffy to the live version I put up the other night. Can you really make a comparison? There was something in the air back then I reckon
Of course you can't compare it. You had Nicks and Buckingham singing out of spite to each other, and you can't manufacture that.

But taking Styles' performance for face value, it's fantastic.

Be interesting to see what everyone’s influences would be. For example, Cruyff14 seems to love his old school rock and modern pop stars etc
I like everything pretty much aside from Rap, hip hop, trance/house, metal and (most) country.

Regardless of who sings it, if I like the sound, I will like the song.

I like everything pretty much aside from Rap, hip hop, trance/house, metal and (most) country.

Regardless of who sings it, if I like the sound, I will like the song.
Oh yeah I am too. I wouldn’t say I go searching for Harry Styles but some of his stuff has been decent so when I do hear it on commercial radio, it doesn’t really bother me. I can’t stand Tones and I for example. Her songs infuriate me.

Of course you can't compare it. You had Nicks and Buckingham singing out of spite to each other, and you can't manufacture that.

But taking Styles' performance for face value, it's fantastic.
I just listened to his Sledgehammer. I’m not going to knock it and I can hear his voice is getting better and losing that squeaky clean polish. It’s hard hearing it though when you are so familiar with Peter Gabriel singing it, and for me that’s one of the best vocal performances of the 80’s

Oh yeah I am too. I wouldn’t say I go searching for Harry Styles but some of his stuff has been decent so when I do hear it on commercial radio, it doesn’t really bother me. I can’t stand Tones and I for example. Her songs infuriate me.
Yeah, I get what you're saying. When A Sign of The Times came out, I posted it on this board and I got slated for "liking Harry Styles".

Thankfully, I am not familiar with any of her stuff haha

I just listened to his Sledgehammer. I’m not going to knock it and I can hear his voice is getting better and losing that squeaky clean polish. It’s hard hearing it though when you are so familiar with Peter Gabriel singing it, and for me that’s one of the best vocal performances of the 80’s
Yeah. Did you happen to see the clip where is talking about the song prior to performing it (on Howard Stern)? He says how much he loves the composition.

It's hard not to compare, but sometimes you need to separate them and take them for what they are.

He does a really good cover of Big Yellow Taxi too which is worth checking out.

Be interesting to see what everyone’s influences would be.
The Beatles would be a pretty big influence and no surprises modern day favourites of mine Kasabian, Oasis and Arctic Monkeys all also being Brits. But I've got a very broad taste in music. I don't mind a big of hip hop, electro/trance & rap.

Right now one of my favourites to listen to is AJ Tracey. Lived literally up the road from Ladbroke Grove in East Acton for a little while. Not a huge fan of Stormzy. Guess my taste in other genres is a bit more specific and hit/miss.

Personally I think the concept sounds alright, but I couldn’t really make head or tale of what was going on. It seemed like a shitfight or something had taken over perhaps that was the problem

A host picks a theme, you PM the host a song that fits the theme, then a playlist is made of all the songs and everyone votes on their 5 favourite tracks from the playlist, the song with the most votes then hosts the next round with a new theme.

In between everyone s**t talks about music or whatever.

The Beatles would be a pretty big influence and no surprises modern day favourites of mine Kasabian, Oasis and Arctic Monkeys all also being Brits. But I've got a very broad taste in music. I don't mind a big of hip hop, electro/trance & rap.

Right now one of my favourites to listen to is AJ Tracey. Lived literally up the road from Ladbroke Grove in East Acton for a little while. Not a huge fan of Stormzy. Guess my taste in other genres is a bit more specific and hit/miss.

Actually dig that track.

Yeah again mine is very broad too but I do tend to gravitate towards indie/alternative. Some big influences for me are the National, Frightened Rabbit, Sufjan Stevens, Nirvana, Pixies, the Shins, Bloc party (earlier stuff), Radiohead, Sigur Ros, QOTSA, NIN etc I do love me some britpop too.

Lately, I’ve really been getting into female artists more than ever such as Julian Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, Pale Waves, Bat for Lashes. I also really dig the 1975 and will happily take any stick I get for it.

Here’s an interesting hypothetical: would the Beatles be successful today if they started their careers in the digital age?
I dont think anyone in this day and age where information and content is easily available on the internet can ever hit the heights the Beatles or any major act did. Even the likes of the Spice Girls in the 90s. That won't be replicated because we are already onto the next thing before the 2nd album.

The Beatles would be most like a Tame Impala or Arctic Monkeys where they'd have some amazing albums but just wouldn't hit the heights they did in the 60-70s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here’s an interesting hypothetical: would the Beatles be successful today if they started their careers in the digital age?

The movie Yesterday is a pretty fun speculation on that.

I reckon they would be based on the sheer volume of material they churned out in less than a decade. The number of hits they had. But these days if you have 'mainstream hits' that's seen as a bad thing, so who knows how they'd be viewed.

It's a question that has too many variables to it to answer properly.

Would they record the same songs as they did? Would they release music current to today?

It's a question that has too many variables to it to answer properly.

Would they record the same songs as they did? Would they release music current to today?
I guess I am saying if they recorded the same songs now as back then. I personally don’t feel like their music would break through to commercial success. I think it gets revered because of what they did back then rather than their songs being absolutely brilliant stuff (not saying they didn’t have good songs but I don’t think they are incredible).
The movie Yesterday is a pretty fun speculation on that.

I reckon they would be based on the sheer volume of material they churned out in less than a decade. The number of hits they had. But these days if you have 'mainstream hits' that's seen as a bad thing, so who knows how they'd be viewed.
Yeah I saw that film and enjoyed it but I still don’t think those songs would transfer as well as they made happen in the film.
Conversely - would Arctic Monkeys if they hadn't?
That’s a good counter-hypothetical. I don’t think their first album would have been as successful but think they would have broken through eventually.

I guess I am saying if they recorded the same songs now as back then. I personally don’t feel like their music would break through to commercial success. I think it gets revered because of what they did back then rather than their songs being absolutely brilliant stuff (not saying they didn’t have good songs but I don’t think they are incredible).

Yeah I saw that film and enjoyed it but I still don’t think those songs would transfer as well as they made happen in the film.

That’s a good counter-hypothetical. I don’t think their first album would have been as successful but think they would have broken through eventually.

I think they're incredible if for nothing else than the vast range of their music, the content of the music, and the rapidity with which it was produced. It's very reminiscent in some ways of Shakespeare and the volume of work that he put out over a relatively short period of time.

I guess I am saying if they recorded the same songs now as back then.
I think tastes/genres change too much over time to say they would have the same success now. There's some songs that they did like Love Me Do & She Loves You that were massive for them back then that wouldn't have the some pop appeal now. But something like Helter Skelter or Revolution I think would have massive cut through, more than perhaps at the time as well. Another with that bit of a whack type song like I Am Walrus would have the same cut through as it did back then.

I think tastes/genres change too much over time to say they would have the same success now. There's some songs that they did like Love Me Do & She Loves You that were massive for them back then that wouldn't have the some pop appeal now. But something like Helter Skelter or Revolution I think would have massive cut through, more than perhaps at the time as well. Another with that bit of a whack type song like I Am Walrus would have the same cut through as it did back then.

I reckon when you look at some of the pop hits that have gone viral these days like Bieber some of their poppy-er stuff would have been huge, but then they'd have been pigeon holed in that genre so not sure how well that would have transferred to Revolution, Helter Skelter, Back in the USSR, etc. which were much heavier. Then you have their ballads, their comedy songs, etc. it's really hard to say.

Also consider how many bands were influenced by them, and therefore wouldn't exist. But it's a fun exercise to consider.

I reckon when you look at some of the pop hits that have gone viral these days like Bieber some of their poppy-er stuff would have been huge, but then they'd have been pigeon holed in that genre so not sure how well that would have transferred to Revolution, Helter Skelter, Back in the USSR, etc. which were much heavier. Then you have their ballads, their comedy songs, etc. it's really hard to say.

Also consider how many bands were influenced by them, and therefore wouldn't exist. But it's a fun exercise to consider.

Whilst pop still can be huge, the sounds of their poppy stuff just isn't anything that would sell well to teenage girls like it did back then. I'm taking all things being equal right now. If in 2020 She Loves You was to drop I think something like Watermelon Sugar outsells it.

But something like Helter Skelter or Back In the USSR I reckon would outsell something from Tame Impala. I dunno just hypothetical really and very subjective.

Back onto another topic which cruffy briefly touched on, guilty pleasure / cheesy stuff you like? I'm assuming that's what he meant with Harry Styles ;) For me it's this.... Very overplayed I know but still dont find myself rushing to change station when it comes on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back