Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought this might be of interest to some people here:

To celebrate New Era's 100th anniversary, they've released an AFL heritage series, which includes the 10 Victorian clubs, South Melbourne, Fitzroy and Port Adelaide.

They aren't cheap at $60, but they're the premium quality wool New Era hats, and that price qualifies you for free delivery Australia wide.

I was pretty chuffed to see Port properly included in this series. We've certainly been an afterthought with this sort of thing in the past.

Would have been good to get a vintage AFL logo one or possibly one for each of the state leagues, so I could channel my inner Rob Lowe.
mh-rob-lowe-hat-tv-1579621862-1-1579714191.jpg

To celebrate New Era's 100th anniversary, they've released an AFL heritage series, which includes the 10 Victorian clubs, South Melbourne, Fitzroy and Port Adelaide.

They aren't cheap at $60, but they're the premium quality wool New Era hats, and that price qualifies you for free delivery Australia wide.

I was pretty chuffed to see Port properly included in this series. We've certainly been an afterthought with this sort of thing in the past.

The logo is a favourite of mine but the style of cap leaves alot to be desired for me. If it was 9fourty I would be on it like a rash. I dunno about the light coloured button on top either. :(

Last edited:

I've already picked up a Saints one. I had seen that iteration of the crest used for the hat before and finally tracked it down on carters. They took some creative liberties with the crest design featured on a 1935 song sheet..
8999f666ef0d94f532738246bdf87bcf.jpg

Coincidentally I follow one of the designers on instagram.

I've already picked up a Saints one. I had seen that iteration of the crest used for the hat before and finally tracked it down on carters. They took some creative liberties with the crest design featured on a 1935 song sheet..

I did feel like the Saints one was probably the least interesting because the Saints already basically use a heritage logo as their primary.

The Saints really need your modern iteration of their logo or something similar to it. Like the current Fitzroy Lion, the bones and spirit of the logo are good but it just needs a modern redraw to make it fit for purpose.

Anyone else have a sense that the majority of the clubs at the moment aren’t using their ‘real’ logos? Take the doggies for example. That bulldog with the flag is so Footscray to me, anything other than it is a cheapening of their brand. Modernising updates to all historical VFL logos would allow clubs to have legitimately timeless brands.

I am legitimately surprised at this point that the Bulldogs haven't changed back to Footscray. It was such a weird quirk of the 1990s for that to happen, but it's never been corrected even though Footscray is so, so much better for branding a famous old club than the hypergeneric "Western".

The obvious time was when they changed the guernsey back to the classic double hoop.

I don't have a great read on the Bulldogs supporterbase as a whole, but I feel like if they were to conduct a member poll between the naming options, Footscray would win in a landslide. Am I wrong?

I am legitimately surprised at this point that the Bulldogs haven't changed back to Footscray. It was such a weird quirk of the 1990s for that to happen, but it's never been corrected even though Footscray is so, so much better for branding a famous old club than the hypergeneric "Western".

The obvious time was when they changed the guernsey back to the classic double hoop.

I don't have a great read on the Bulldogs supporterbase as a whole, but I feel like if they were to conduct a member poll between the naming options, Footscray would win in a landslide. Am I wrong?

It was never going to happen once they signed the deal with the city of Ballarat, and that was probably compounded after they won a flag under the WB name. Sad but that’s marketing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was never going to happen once they signed the deal with the city of Ballarat, and that was probably compounded after they won a flag under the WB name. Sad but that’s marketing.
I've recently moved out to the Western suburbs, not too far further than Footscray and to be honest I was expecting to see more Dogs stuff around.
I mean, no colours in the pub, no signs at the local footy oval, no billboards on the freeway

I was expecting to be in Bulldogs town as they are the "team of the West" but you wouldn't know they are 20m away

Chad Mann, great name.

Honestly devastated West Coast didn’t get one.

In fact, our OG logo has only gotten a run once on a New Era cap, and that was forever ago and it was on a grey base. :(

There was a blue version of this cap initially. But it has a fake shield and script underneath from memory.

There was a blue version of this cap initially. But it has a fake shield and script underneath from memory.

That was the Puma release, they had a blue and a gold version. I have the gold version but yeah it’s like a special 30th anniversary version.

PS didn’t you have one of these you might eventually look at selling? ;)

Honestly devastated West Coast didn’t get one.

In fact, our OG logo has only gotten a run once on a New Era cap, and that was forever ago and it was on a grey base. :(

They're obviously going for a 1920s aesthetic to celebrate their own 100 year anniversary, but there would definitely be scope for more retro logos. Would love a navy 39thirty with the OG Crow just by itself.

That was the Puma release, they had a blue and a gold version. I have the gold version but yeah it’s like a special 30th anniversary version.

PS didn’t you have one of these you might eventually look at selling? ;)
Nah it wasn't the puma one, I have the blue version of that. There was another new era one. Bright blue, gold original eagle head and eagles in a script font, it came out the same time as the one above as I had to choose between them in store. I can't for the life of me find it online anymore though

EDIT: Found in an old thread

IMG_20170325_012748.jpg

That makes no sense at all to me, the term Western in Ballarat refers to a pub and the Redan footy club, that's it. We don't see ourselves as Western anything. Give Footscray their name back.

I'm sure you would have

if your club was 100 years old

Yeah wasn’t until afterwards I realised it was for clubs that were over 100, not just a celebration of old clubs.

I've recently moved out to the Western suburbs, not too far further than Footscray and to be honest I was expecting to see more Dogs stuff around.
I mean, no colours in the pub, no signs at the local footy oval, no billboards on the freeway

I was expecting to be in Bulldogs town as they are the "team of the West" but you wouldn't know they are 20m away
Very strange! The City of Ballarat sponsor them so they use all of their clout to plaster the city red, white and blue when they come to town...Bulldogs flags as you come into town from any direction, Bulldogs stickers on town hall, garden beds and nearly every other council building, Bulldogs signs all around Creswick Road. I seem to see someone wear a red, white and blue 'Ballarat Bulldogs' beanie at least every second day during winter.

Very strange! The City of Ballarat sponsor them so they use all of their clout to plaster the city red, white and blue when they come to town...Bulldogs flags as you come into town from any direction, Bulldogs stickers on town hall, garden beds and nearly every other council building, Bulldogs signs all around Creswick Road. I seem to see someone wear a red, white and blue 'Ballarat Bulldogs' beanie at least every second day during winter.
Is there any Dogs stuff when they aren't playing? Or in summer?

Or is it overboard for a week a year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back