Preview Round 2 Lions at Home v Dockers Away (well 73klm away)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s good to be back. Answorth stiff I think, good solid player. Hope I not hating on Achee by the end of the game. Very unconvincing pre season but that was a long time ago.

Surprised about Answerth, but in a shorter, more explosive game not surprised with Witho’s omission (though not making the emergencies might be telling).

I love the way this coaching group think - I’m certain they have a strong view how this season will play out and how they will approach it, particularly with team selections. They are an all-in group with an excellent collective mind and in FagNobes we trust.

PS - never troubled by a team with Lester - if he played 2001-2003 he’d have been a premiership player at least once

I’m still sfellowing about the “standard” of the game, the low score AND the draw tonight between supposedly the teams that could be a “Grand final preview” according to the Vic commentators...

I just hope we put on a better show and don’t look as undercooked as Collingwood and Richmond look right now.

Weird team. Starc, Bitch, Ah Chee, Lester backline? they will score.
A bit worried about chemistry back there.
Got a bad feeling about this game, totally spooked.

Not much to worry about, it'll end up:

Rich - Andrews - Lester
Ah Chee - Dizzy - Birchall

Plenty of experience in that back six.

It's hard to comment not knowing how the guys have come back and who's impressed and who hasn't.

I'm a bit surprised Tommy got the call ahead of some others right now but it's been evident since before he got drafted he'd be a gun. Tough nut who can run and go all day. I'm not a great Lester fan but he has improved a lot the last couple of years and eliminated the clangers. They obviously love him at the club, maybe replaces the part of Hodgey's brain that will be missing in defence. A real kick up the backside for Witho ,he's been a regular for some time.
Happy for Ah Chee and Birch to be given a chance.

Tonight on a clear night at the G we saw the Pies kick one goal after quarter time and manage to draw the game with a 5 goal total.

Anyone who thinks the shorter quarters won't change the nature of the games is dreaming. Those who are first to work out what works will win games.

It's hard to comment not knowing how the guys have come back and who's impressed and who hasn't.

I'm a bit surprised Tommy got the call ahead of some others right now but it's been evident since before he got drafted he'd be a gun. Tough nut who can run and go all day. I'm not a great Lester fan but he has improved a lot the last couple of years and eliminated the clangers. They obviously love him at the club, maybe replaces the part of Hodgey's brain that will be missing in defence. A real kick up the backside for Witho ,he's been a regular for some time.
Happy for Ah Chee and Birch to be given a chance.

Tonight on a clear night at the G we saw the Pies kick one goal after quarter time and manage to draw the game with a 5 goal total.

Anyone who thinks the shorter quarters won't change the nature of the games is dreaming. Those who are first to work out what works will win games.
Agree. As a spectator I see this year as a lucky dip. No doubt the team is preparing for 16min qtrs but how that preparation compares to other teams is anyone’s guess. I’m a bit worried, given our tendency last year to fall over the line

I think the lack of pre-season had a much greater impact on last nights game than the shorter quarters. It was like a pre-season game but even worse IMO.

Perhaps selection this week put more emphasis on whoever looked the sharpest at training and during the scratch matches.

Given Witherdens main strength is his kicking maybe they wanted a more well rounded player if his kicking during the scratch matches weren't too sharp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe with Witho as people would off seen in last nights slow mo game.
Players fitness is down they all slowed a bit.
Might be a touch fitness with Witho and the fact Ah Chee speedier or just maybe it is we have 6 players going for 2 spots
They be swap and changing a lot of the year. More depth in a spot the harder it is to keep.
Having Bailey, Answerth, Starc, Witho, Birchall and Ah Chee available you not playing all 6.
I know Bailey played in forward half and through middle before.
Thinking about it Birchall if fit you think a no brainer.
So maybe only 1 spot for 5 :)

Rich, Dizzy, Andrews are locks. Lester came in for Adams.. Which some of us thought Payne or Skinner may off.

I think the lack of pre-season had a much greater impact on last nights game than the shorter quarters. It was like a pre-season game but even worse IMO.

Perhaps selection this week put more emphasis on whoever looked the sharpest at training and during the scratch matches.

Given Witherdens main strength is his kicking maybe they wanted a more well rounded player if his kicking during the scratch matches weren't too sharp.
Definitely lack of match practice was a major factor in the tempo of the game and maybe the lack of scoring. Reiwoldt failing to make the distance from 35m out just showed up how rusty the guys were. I still think the shorter quarters will require a different style of game , you should be able to defend a lead easier for instance . Maybe some other strategies as well that will benefit your chances.

They way I look at the selections.

Our problem in defence is not really our defenders. It’s our inability to stop the ball transitioning from our half forward line right down to the other end of the field, catching our defenders out.

Tom Berry can play as a defensive half forward, wing and through the middle.

We haven’t selected any small forwards on the bench, with just the two, Cameron and McCarthy. I expect Zorko, both Berry’s, MRobbo and McCluggage to rotate through the forward line.

I think Lester will likely play the Hodge role, and organise our defence from behind the other defenders.

Rich, Starcevich, Ah Chee and Birchall to provide rebound and kicking.

I believe Witherden is a “victim” of Birchall’s inclusion. And if the coaches want Ah Chee’s run and carry, it was either going to be Rich or Answerth to miss out, and they’re not going to drop Rich yet.

And I’m not sure Fremantle have named a genuine small forward we would have to play a small defender, such as Answerth, on.

They way I look at the selections.

Our problem in defence is not really our defenders. It’s our inability to stop the ball transitioning from our half forward line right down to the other end of the field, catching our defenders out.

Tom Berry can play as a defensive half forward, wing and through the middle.

We haven’t selected any small forwards on the bench, with just the two, Cameron and McCarthy. I expect Zorko, both Berry’s, MRobbo and McCluggage to rotate through the forward line.

I think Lester will likely play the Hodge role, and organise our defence from behind the other defenders.

Rich, Starcevich, Ah Chee and Birchall to provide rebound and kicking.

I believe Witherden is a “victim” of Birchall’s inclusion. And if the coaches want Ah Chee’s run and carry, it was either going to be Rich or Answerth to miss out, and they’re not going to drop Rich yet.

And I’m not sure Fremantle have named a genuine small forward we would have to play a small defender, such as Answerth, on.

I'd say Matera was and Walters spend time forward

But do we need to play a small lockdown on either of them?

Are they a Charlie Cameron or Tipungwuti type who can really hurt the opposition if not marked closely.

I'd say so. Especially Walters who'd arguably be superior to both if played as a permanent forward.

10mls forecast for tomorrow

I think it's dropped significantly - only 1 to 4mm now. Just light scattered showers. Sunday will be the big day for rain by the looks of it.

Don’t mind Lester as an in - doesn’t get beat 1 on 1 to often. Strong over the pill and reasonably clean in what should be a scrappy game. Calm heads will be required if the game plan unravels at any stage.
One of the big problems with Lester was his pace especially with Hodge our backline was a bit one paced. With Hodge out and Ah Chee in I think you can have someone of his more medium pace in the team.
The interesting thing will be how he and Gardiner line up. One will have to play taller than they normally do. Lobb and Tabener are both pretty big from memory

One of the big problems with Lester was his pace especially with Hodge our backline was a bit one paced. With Hodge out and Ah Chee in I think you can have someone of his more medium pace in the team.
The interesting thing will be how he and Gardiner line up. One will have to play taller than they normally do. Lobb and Tabener are both pretty big from memory

Gardiner can take either of them. Will just rely on not having too many one-on-ones although I don't think contested marks are Taberners strength. Also Lobb will rotate into the ruck so Dizzy will have to play smaller as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back