purplearmy

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
A simple yes or no.

Let's see what the consensus is on the forum.

All I ask is for this thread to remain open so we get a good number of votes. I'm willing to bite my tongue to allow that.

I voted 'no' because unless they kneel for the entire 8m 46s then I think it is disrespectful to Sir Floyd.

Last night it was outrageous that they barely even lasted a minute, what are they doing, taking the piss?

Do it properly or don't do it at all. Sir Floyd deserves complete respect.

View attachment 891073

It's the same as the Colin Kaepernick thing. Better change your vote.

I support any kind of non-violent protest, as should anyone who values civil liberties. Whether I think any of it will effect change in a positive direction is another matter though. Long-lasting social reform isn't something that will be achieved by footy players kneeling, people wearing BLM shirts, clenched fists of solidarity or the dropping of poignant hashtags on social media.

I support any kind of non-violent protest, as should anyone who values civil liberties. Whether I think any of it will effect change in a positive direction is another matter though. Long-lasting social reform isn't something that will be achieved by footy players kneeling, people wearing BLM shirts, clenched fists of solidarity or the dropping of poignant hashtags on social media.

Not sure I agree. Those sort of gestures and protests can change public opinion. I mean look at gay marriage, they did not get that by violent protests, or staying silent, they got it by making their cause known, and over time making more people sympathetic to their cause. Eventually enough people became sympathetic that those people became the majority of the nation, and after that happened within a decade gay marriage was legal.

It happened too slowly, but these sort of public protests and standing with the people who want equality does help change public opinion, and that is vital in any cause.

If it were a simple statement against racism, that didn’t involve the kneeling linked to the BLM movement, then I think it would only be a very tiny number of people that were against it.

It being tied to the BLM movement is why I voted no in this poll - getting rid of the Police and dismantling capitalism seem to be as much of their reason for existence as racial harmony is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it were a simple statement against racism, that didn’t involve the kneeling linked to the BLM movement, then I think it would only be a very tiny number of people that were against it.

It being tied to the BLM movement is why I voted no in this poll - getting rid of the Police and dismantling capitalism seem to be as much of their reason for existence as racial harmony is.

No one is suggesting getting rid of the police. People just want to change things so Aboriginal people are not 700% more likely to die at the hands of the police, or in police custody than non-Aboriginal people.

Because you have been told the BLM is bad so kneeling must be bad since it is in same way connected to it?

I sure hope someone out there hasnt made a narrative to try and make you think like this so you ignore the core issue.

That would be dastardly of them.

Last edited:
No one is suggesting getting rid of the police. People just want to change things so Aboriginal people are not 700% more likely to die at the hands of the police, or in police custody than non-Aboriginal people.
Interested how you get that % can you please elaborate, or maybe reference a link etc

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's a great example for me to point at on tv for my son when I tell him that everyone is the same

I just showed it to my daughter and she asked me why they were kneeling and I explained in brief terms whats happening in America (Shes 5, she doesnt really get it) but she just said "Oh, ok, I hope it gets better" and went back to watching Paw Patrol.

I think shes brainwashed.

Back