Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure it’ll take more than one season of footy to determine if Bennell is going to have a career, he could play every game this year and one ping next preseason and he is back to where he began.

Ffs he didn’t even avoid reinjuring his calf this year at Melbourne, he was fortunate that the season was delayed.

And suddenly they have a magic bullet?

818F81B4-6AAD-4B9E-9CE6-BB51F04878A4.jpeg

Freo are not the only club to have players whose bodies are not up to the rigours of the AFL.

We took a high risk high reward trade and it didn’t work out, it’s not a sign our strength and conditioning team are poor.

Don’t forget, for the first half of his tenure at Freo Bennell’s professionalism was very questionable.

That’s on him, not the club, though with the clubs guidance and some growing up by the time he left he appears outwardly to have become the model professional.

And there are examples where the opposite has been true - for example McPharlin over coming his early soft tissue issues, Pav first player to 300 games in WA, Mundy not far behind, Sandi’s longevity at his size and age, despite all 4 playing VERY physically demanding roles and having the additional burden of regular travel (do the Hawks have that challenge - nope).

In terms of the extended return times of Hamling and Pearce, it appears to me that the surgeries didn’t quite cut the mustard - to me if anything (and I’m no surgeon) that comes back to our doctors if anyone at the club, not S&C?

And even then, I’ve no doubt we use the best surgeons we can get access to in WA, and over east when required.

Worth noting the circumstances of how both injuries occurred have nothing to do with the players physical preparation, but rather the luck of the draw of playing an explosive demanding sport.

In fact I think in terms of overall fitness Freo have been one of the better clubs in the league in recent history, we’ve a young team now but our trademark was outworking teams when we had a mature team, and I’m sure it will be again.

Pretty sure it’ll take more than one season of footy to determine if Bennell is going to have a career, he could play every game this year and one ping next preseason and he is back to where he began.

Ffs he didn’t even avoid reinjuring his calf this year at Melbourne, he was fortunate that the season was delayed.

And suddenly they have a magic bullet?

View attachment 889505

Freo are not the only club to have players whose bodies are not up to the rigours of the AFL.

We took a high risk high reward trade and it didn’t work out, it’s not a sign our strength and conditioning team are poor.

Don’t forget, for the first half of his tenure at Freo Bennell’s professionalism was very questionable.

That’s on him, not the club, though with the clubs guidance and some growing up by the time he left he appears outwardly to have become the model professional.

And there are examples where the opposite has been true - for example McPharlin over coming his early soft tissue issues, Pav first player to 300 games in WA, Mundy not far behind, Sandi’s longevity at his size and age, despite all 4 playing VERY physically demanding roles and having the additional burden of regular travel (do the Hawks have that challenge - nope).

In terms of the extended return times of Hamling and Pearce, it appears to me that the surgeries didn’t quite cut the mustard - to me if anything (and I’m no surgeon) that comes back to our doctors if anyone at the club, not S&C?

And even then, I’ve no doubt we use the best surgeons we can get access to in WA, and over east when required.

Worth noting the circumstances of how both injuries occurred have nothing to do with the players physical preparation, but rather the luck of the draw of playing an explosive demanding sport.

In fact I think in terms of overall fitness Freo have been one of the better clubs in the league in recent history, we’ve a young team now but our trademark was outworking teams when we had a mature team, and I’m sure it will be again.

Just out of interest, how many examples can you give of a footballer not being able to play (in the prime of his career) for years on end, due to a calf strain?

Harley has been selected.
Weber needs to explain what he did wrong, or right??
Hopefully Bennell plays the whole game and the games after without injury, because that's the point the hard question falls on our team. Not when he is named to play.

Let’s not tiptoe around the issue. Our strength and conditioning staff suck, plain and simple.
McPharlin, MJ, Spurr all had calf issues. Quite significant to have so many due to calf.
But Weber will never go. It is what it is.

Bennell doing well at Melbourne will be icing on the cake. Just don’t trust our medicos anymore

Let’s not tiptoe around the issue. Our strength and conditioning staff suck, plain and simple.
McPharlin, MJ, Spurr all had calf issues. Quite significant to have so many due to calf.
But Weber will never go. It is what it is.

Bennell doing well at Melbourne will be icing on the cake. Just don’t trust our medicos anymore
I'll never ever forgive the S&C teams inability to have Mcpharlin ready for finals.

Every.
Single.
Year.

He only played 2013?
2012 was deviating. Walker went off in that Semi. Poor silvagni had no chance.

2015 he was out as well and retired. Only played like 30 games in two years or something.

Hopefully Bennell plays the whole game and the games after without injury, because that's the point the hard question falls on our team. Not when he is named to play.

It then also asks questions of our selection policy and in particular the need to play a number of full games of WAFL before being considered.

I'll never ever forgive the S&C teams inability to have Mcpharlin ready for finals.

Every.
Single.
Year.

McPharlin didn’t even come to mind for me, not because you’re not absolutely right but because our S&C fail list is so long at this point. Their failures in 2019 alone with Hill, Bennell and Hogan is enough to warrant serious questions so it’s pretty embarrassing that this has gone on basically unchanged for so long with the old ‘internal review’ being trotted our yearly with no actual changes taking place.

edit: On Bennell though, I’m actually stoked for him. I hope he can pull through for a full season and show everyone what he’s got, after what he’s been through he’s earnt it. And every game he plays at Melbourne should make our medicos sweat a little bit more.

He only played 2013?
2012 was deviating. Walker went off in that Semi. Poor silvagni had no chance.

2015 he was out as well and retired. Only played like 30 games in two years or something.

2013 he was underdone after getting injured Rd 15 or something. Couldn't run/kick properly in the finals.

2015 was shocking mismanagement. Everyone was calling for him to be rested, yet we play him in a meaningless game against a bottom club and bang, out of the finals. It still makes me angry. We should have won the flag in 2015 if they managed McPharlin, Fyfe, Johnson and Pavlich properly. Four of our best players and they ran them into the ground. Unbelievable.

Who can ever forget when they selected Johnson with a bad back against Richmond? He was obviously lame in the warm ups. And couldn't even bend over to pick the ball up. The worst selection call I have ever seen in 30 years. Gets 1 possession and subbed off after a few minutes, stuffed for the rest of the year.

2013 he was underdone after getting injured Rd 15 or something. Couldn't run/kick properly in the finals.

2015 was shocking mismanagement. Everyone was calling for him to be rested, yet we play him in a meaningless game against a bottom club and bang, out of the finals. It still makes me angry. We should have won the flag in 2015 if they managed McPharlin, Fyfe, Johnson and Pavlich properly. Four of our best players and they ran them into the ground. Unbelievable.

Who can ever forget when they selected Johnson with a bad back against Richmond? He was obviously lame in the warm ups. And couldn't even bend over to pick the ball up. The worst selection call I have ever seen in 30 years. Gets 1 possession and subbed off after a few minutes, stuffed for the rest of the year.
Luke missed the round 20 match with a corky and was going to miss the round 23 match prior to finals in a bulk player rest, how many games can you miss in the lead up to finals before your conditioning suffers? Finishing on top for the first time in our history was also important, unfortunately we only won five games after round 14. If we had beaten the Eagles in round 20 I expect our players would have been rested more than that last week - we only sat two points clear on top at the end of the season.

Johnson was shoved as he bent over if I remember correctly.

Luke missed the round 20 match with a corky and was going to miss the round 23 match prior to finals in a bulk player rest, how many games can you miss in the lead up to finals before your conditioning suffers? Finishing on top for the first time in our history was also important, unfortunately we only won five games after round 14. If we had beaten the Eagles in round 20 I expect our players would have been rested more than that last week - we only sat two points clear on top at the end of the season.

Johnson was shoved as he bent over if I remember correctly.

The other factor was that Dawson also missed most of the season and promptly got himself suspended on return against GWS in Rd 18 and then Silvagni copped a big suspension in the Round 20 derby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got nothing but huge positive vibes for the bloke. Talent like his should never be lost to the game early... it comes along far too rarely.

It's a pity he couldn't get on the park with Freo, but I don't give a rat's about that - players come and go, he was gone too soon and for far too long.

Enjoy your moment in the sun Harley, you've f***ing earnt it. Every game is a gift from here on in mate... just have fun and do whatever you can, for as long as your body let's you... that's all that any footy player wants really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back