Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just in response to Scottroo on Curtis Taylor's thread I was gonna say almost exactly the same thing. I can't remember when our list was like this except for during the mid - late 80s when thinking about those u19 sides (who went on to be quite good.)

I can't remember our list being this good in a long time. Not since the 90s side.

Curtis Taylor was pretty good in r1 and Bailey Scott was pretty good in r1 last year and both have some development to come.

It's like we got Wells, and then another three or four as good players and a bunch more who are close. Since Jy. Maybe not quite as jaw droppingly talented as Wells but all pretty damn close and ... honestly ... they seem harder, tougher players.

I haven't felt this way about our list since the 90s. Sure we've been close but these guys are genuinely exciting. The next three years could be very good.
Plough says hi.

Two of those guys are genuinely good midfielders. One has some
limitations the other is elite.

One is okay (Greenwood), was better when he was still with us. He's serviceable...

Everyone we've drafted since we picked Jy Simpkin gives us a better group than those four, and if we get three quarters of those players who can play midfield at a similar ratio then that's two elite players, two who could get 10 Brownlow votes, like Jack last year, so pretty damn good on their day and another two serviceable ie Greenwood level players plus maybe one more who could be in any of those categories.

Still a much better return IMO. Who knows even Basti could have been more with a better development set up.

This time around, though, we’re, hopefully, not talking about just four guys. Thomas, Jy, LDU, Bailey, Zurhaar, Larkey, Taylor and Walker all have potential X factor. Then there’s Kyron, Perez and Comden to hope for.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What role is he playing against the Giants? 1 kick and 1 handball is a touch disappointing for a half of footy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

What role is he playing against the Giants? 1 kick and 1 handball is a touch disappointing for a half of footy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yep, I’m more cool on him than most on here.

He needs to demonstrate an ability to consistently find the ball at AFL level before being christened the messiah.

I genuinely think Taylor is a better HF prospect, he just gets the ball at will.

Thomas’ future is in the middle, but he’s a couple of moments a game type player at the moment rather than a genuine danger for opposition sides. It’s pretty clear he physically isn’t ready to be a full time AFL mid.

He often gets a contested ball and takes a hit without losing it in congestion. Doesn't get a stat for it but it's crucial as it stops the ball spilling out.

Yep, kind of puts his head down and barges into it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs to take a bit of a leaf out of Curtis’ book and work up to the wings to get more involved in the game and be more of a link player rather than the end target. He’s too creative for that.

Unless it’s a direct instruction to play so deep.

Our experienced players missing sitter after sitter than TT nails that from the pocket - turned the tide in that moment

The 4 very gettable misses by Hall, Jack and BBB x 2 could have had a draining effect on the team. Instead, Taylor, Bailey, Thomas x 2 and Zurhaar x 3 carried the day for us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our experienced players missing sitter after sitter than TT nails that from the pocket - turned the tide in that moment

How many times have our blokes sprayed that shot on the run in the last qtr? I can just see some muppet in days of yore, running in a slamming into the post.

A good learning year, to get a young player into the team, assign reasonable roles that maximizes their talent. I heard TT has really good pressure acts, so half forward to harass opposition's good ball users. He is also a good size to be a reasonable marking target. When his stamina and match fitness improves to a certain extent, he will be given more mid roles. As higgins evetually drops off, Thomas will be a good successor.

Appeared to me that Tarryn completely neutralised the pretty dangerous Zac Williams as part of his role, i rated his game as quite good actually.
A few blokes rotated onto Zac Williams, but TT was the main one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back