Autopsy Roast : Bevo’s stubborn match day selections and the loss to St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you. It blows my mind that people put so much weight into selection when really 90% of the team picks itself and the few speculative picks do not account for huge differences in team performance.

Disagree. If you have one or two genuinely weak links it can cause significant problems, but it’s less the actual players for me than the makeup of the team.
- Play English, but for gods sake give him some ruck help against Marshall and Ryder.
- Play Daniel because he’s a good ball user, but ffs not in defence when he gets caught at least once or twice against a much taller player and it’s an easy goal.
- Play jj but please, please put him on a wing rather than half back where he can be tagged out of the game and also where turnovers are generally punished more.

You should also never play guys who are well off the standard - it’s not fair on Gardner, he’s not good enough.

Sadly agree. Was a fan in his first year, had some swagger, and backed it up. Think that was his ceiling. You’d only hope he’s not selected next week. 😡

When you have Mitch Wallis playing the same role of limited stats medium forward who doesnt do much more than kick the occasional goal, I just don't see a role for him.

I pine for the day when Fergus Greene or anybody else gets on the park and goes past them both.

You got in 6 mins before me Charlie.

This loss had nothing to do with Gardiner. The sloppiness of skills, and the complete lack of composure was what really mattered. How many times did St Kilda register a centre break because one of our midfielders either passed the ball to them or dropped the ball cold? Answer: MANY!. We weren't switched on at all. I think this game could be summed up by Macrae having no idea he was about to be tackled at one point and getting nailed, even though i could hear the tackler approaching through my TV over the canned crowd.

Everyone - right up to Bont - was throwing around lazy speculator passes, NOT nailing tackles, kicking directly to the opposition, making woeful decisions, and displaying zero awareness - in short our heads just weren't in it at all. It was like a pre-season game. I don't know who to blame for that - or if in fact anyone can be blamed. But it is extremely irritating. And I really hope we sort it out before next week - otherwise this season will be in grave danger of replicating the last season, with us starting craply then coming home like a steam train when it is too late to matter.

I’m still confident we can make a decent season of it, but we’re coming from a lot further back than this time last year. We at least had a couple of wins against the Swans and Hawks.

Love all the sacking posts and microwave membership posts. So typical. Everyone was happy to sack Bevo after Carlton smashed us last season and then hopped back on in the second half of the season calling Bevo a genius. Get a grip.

Ridiculous to call for his sacking. Understandable to question why we continue to have such a gap between our best and worst though I think.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Love all the sacking posts and microwave membership posts. So typical. Everyone was happy to sack Bevo after Carlton smashed us last season and then hopped back on in the second half of the season calling Bevo a genius. Get a grip.
I think you're the captain of this sinking Titanic - you can keep holding on, we've already jumped for our lives, lol

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

One thing I’d love to see is our players especially our leaders come out and own the last three performances admit it’s not good enough publicly not hide and have everyone make excuses for them come out and own it. They all have social media platforms they have no issues sharing stuff for businesses that are giving them $$$. Maybe they should think about and acknowledge the fans that have left there money in the club so that they have a club to play for.

Cause the more they get protected and hide behind the coach the less likely things will change. The coach has issues too with selection and structure etc but the players are milking what they can. Bont late it the game lunging for a smother is great but where was that effort and commitment when the game was actually alive. Lead from the front when the game is up for grabs not when it’s over.

Its plane to me that Bevo was saving players for next week
The problem with that is the players know this - they can work it out
Knowing this could effect the way they play - not intentionally though
So Bevo may have just out smarted himself - big time :(

Honest question, at what point do you think it’s acceptable to start questioning Bevo position? I’ll be honest this is the first time I’ve seriously thought maybe he’s run his race. I just don’t see a cohesive plan/structure for this group of players. Our set up between round 1 and 2 was so wildly different and it feels it’s been that way the last 3 seasons. We start seasons so poorly and end up moving to a more traditional plan midway through to turn it around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honest question, at what point do you think it’s acceptable to start questioning Bevo position? I’ll be honest this is the first time I’ve seriously thought maybe he’s run his race. I just don’t see a cohesive plan/structure for this group of players. Our set up between round 1 and 2 was so wildly different and it feels it’s been that way the last 3 seasons. We start seasons so poorly and end up moving to a more traditional plan midway through to turn it around.

Exactly. Moving to a traditional game plan midway. Means Bevo needs to stop drinking his own bathwater. I think he has shown well and truely he’s a very good coach but gee wizz there are some genuine head scratches going on at the minute

Bev ain’t that good folks.

Yes, he isn’t out there with the players and they have their own issues but Bev’s coaching does not allow them to do what they are good at. So already our players are behind the eight ball before they get a kick.

This has been happening since 2017, prior to then I recall posting many times how good Bev and the coaching teams in game tactical moves were, especially in 2015.

Offence

Bev’s wants to generate 100% of our offense from the half back line, Daniel, JJ, Suckling, both wings and bringing small/mid forwards up to the contest. That’s fine, but not at the expense of our forward line structure.

There needs to be some balance were the forwards have a chance to do it themselves. They have been playing out of position and outnumbered for far too long.

Naughton is best when he can fly for the ball, don’t put him in the goal square where it’s a wrestle and he has no chance. Let his loose from CHF and run up. Bruce can sit in the goal square and so that stuff. Then surround them with tackling and speed – nothing else. Bont and Smith the only resting mids.

Throw ins or ball ups close to goal, Bruce to take the ruck and English behind the ball. WTF can Bruce do if he isn’t in the ruck. Under 10s coaching.

Defence

Due to Bev wanting to generate offence from half back, too much defence is relied on the others. We are playing half a defensive unit. Cordy has been coping it for a long time but he is the only defensive first defender we have, he has no help at all. Tonight it was Keith. And Crozier has to play out of his skin every ef’ing week to hold some sort of defence together, which he does an exceptional job at. The others offer a few good contests and that’s it.

Hey Bev, remember we don’t have high level players like Morris, Boyd and Wood at his best. And keeping Gardiner in the team is just flat out tanking.

In addition to the above, we have no mids that are generally defensive. The ones that can consistently get the ball but also clamp down on a player or help out defensively.

Balance it out, Trengrove on the monsters, Keith at CHB. Cordy can then zone off and help or even switch forward to give some defensive efforts there when needed for an option. Right there is allowing our defensive talls to do what they are good at. Then one of JJ/Suckling at half back to be offensive and Crozier and Duryea/Williams to defend the smalls.

Allow the wings to provide the extra offense.

Mids

We have a problem with our second ruck. English is one of the most talented youngsters in the comp so he always gets #1 ruck. But support him with Trengrove who can also help our defensive problems. Hey Bev, one player can fix two problems here. Clear as day. English to rest on the bench and up forward when Bruce is off.

Bont, Dunkley, Macrae and Smith is a good balance – no problems there but the wings need to complement what is happing in game. Hunter is good at what he does but the other wing needs to be a defensive mid or an offensive threat. No in-betweeners like Lipinski, Jong, or a half forward flankers who knows nothing about the wing position like Dickson/Lloyd/Gowers/R.Smith etc.

Leadership

Looking from afar, Bev has a servant leadership style which is coming across too soft. The new age sensitive approach was fine with hardnosed veterans like Boyd, Morris, Picken and hell even Will Minson. Add to that the players like Smith, Libba, Redpath, Stevens, and Dahlhaus who went to war for the team at every contest, he needs to adapt to replace what those players added to the chemistry.

Tactically there is nothing left due to the most bazaar team selection I’ve ever seen in almost 40 years. And i'm sure there was talk on here about him saying they shouldnt have even been players round 1 due to the virus. Well if thats true no wonder they players didnt turn up. I feel like they aren't taking this year seriously when it could be a golden opportuinty for anyone to steal a premiership. How dare the club plead with us not to ask for partial/full refunds for this season due to the virus, when they dont take it seriously.

I seriously think any of us here could not do any worse than our coaching panel and selectors.

So bevo just said in his press conference that it was a better start than round one, that we are in a state of transition (thought we were on the way up not rebuilding again) and that our younger guys will grow week by week.

Our younger guys aren't really where we failed. Baz was great, Vanders had a decent debut.

I think you're the captain of this sinking Titanic - you can keep holding on, we've already jumped for our lives, lol

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Ive never seen the movie. How'd jumping over the side turn out for anybody?

Bevo loves picking defenders who can’t defend. Daniel, Suckling, Gardiner and JJ are all hopeless one on one.

The jettisoning of Trengove st the end of last year was unfathomable. He did a great job both as tuck back up and key defender.

He’s is not a great kick and not lightening quick, but at least he defends. Or do you not need to do that in the modern game?

Yep do that times 5. Last 3 games have been shocking but there have been worse times over the last 50 years following the club.

It will turn around, always will and does, and you enjoy it more.

Feels like crap now. Year has been crap and will continue to be. Our club will be back
Yes there have, but that is setting the bar pretty low. We are entitled to expect more now. Especially after 2016.

I'm pretty shattered with our lack of competitiveness, cohesion and spirit right now.

I just can't imagine this sort of full speed in reverse happening at clubs like Hawthorn or Collingwood. So why should we accept it?

We are entitled to some answers. I hope we get some honesty from the club this week.

Our younger guys aren't really where we failed. Baz was great, Vanders had a decent debut.

Completely right, saying it will take time for the team to find it’s mojo etc. also said need too look at it as a glass half full.

He looked absolutely deflated but he needs to look at himself and also give the players some home truths not look at it glass half full

We don't use the ball well enough to play multiple big contested marks forward of centre at the moment. Need to escape the phone
box mentality quickly it's literally suffocating us.

Biggest issue is unless we totally dominate the midfield, we really struggle to put ourselves in a winning position.

this is due to having an undersized backline without a lot of experience, so we tend to leak goals.
And at the other end due to inaccuracy we need multiple entries to kick a winning score.

not potting English but if we keep getting smashed at clearances we are completely on the back foot all game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back