Autopsy Roast : Bevo’s stubborn match day selections and the loss to St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

None of us know what happens behind closed doors, but I will say in Bevo’s defence that all of the players we are yelling about not being selected are obvious choices, so there has to be a reason he won’t select them. Suspect it has a lot to do with attitude.

We’re all guessing, but if players haven’t kept fit or train poorly expecting a free ride, then he can’t reward that. No one thinks Gardner is a better player than Cordy, or Gowers is better than Libba. I doubt Bevo is just picking them for fun.

Trengove is the mystery. He’s a solid backman and ruckman but for a year and a half has had a tough run at selection. Question is whether there’s something he isn’t doing or whether Bevo just doesn’t rate him.

Super disappointing result... Two main issues at the moment and that is our contested ball and our transition defense.

Both can be fixed.

Lewis young or trengove need to come in its blatantly obvious we lack a bit of organisation without Wood which is why I would lean towards Trengove. Contested ball is an effort/stoppage setup adjustment which we can get back on track by some adjustments.

I don't think its all doom and gloom like everyone is saying we just lack a bit of cohesion at the moment with our attack and getting killed on the rebound.

None of us know what happens behind closed doors, but I will say in Bevo’s defence that all of the players we are yelling about not being selected are obvious choices, so there has to be a reason he won’t select them. Suspect it has a lot to do with attitude.

We’re all guessing, but if players haven’t kept fit or train poorly expecting a free ride, then he can’t reward that. No one thinks Gardner is a better player than Cordy, or Gowers is better than Libba. I doubt Bevo is just picking them for fun.

Trengove is the mystery. He’s a solid backman and ruckman but for a year and a half has had a tough run at selection. Question is whether there’s something he isn’t doing or whether Bevo just doesn’t rate him.
He

he did say in the presser that’s a few players “weren’t ready” this week and they aren’t injured which means maybe they didn’t come back fit enough. And if so, I’m happy with them being left out.

He

he did say in the presser that’s a few players “weren’t ready” this week and they aren’t injured which means maybe they didn’t come back fit enough. And if so, I’m happy with them being left out.
I suppose it could be that someone like Libba, who’s been out a long time, might have been stamped fit to play but not be ready.

Think it seems quite clear though some just weren’t in a fit state, which is very poor.

Much like last year, we looked better when we had a physical ruckman giving ground ball body support/blocking for our amazing mids.

it’s hard to stomach how bad Gowers, Vandermeer, English and Gardner hurt us when we have AFL ready replacements for them all not picked.

last year Bevo sorted his s**t out just in time, so I can’t write him off. He plays the long game. But I’m really disappointed in the hole he’s let us fall into.

On a positive note, because that’s why we watch footy—
Bont in the last quarter showed he is an irrepressible force. Can’t hold a great man down for long. His effort might mean something next week.

bailey smith was also delicious.

Won’t be watching that one again. I hope we're better for the run and that those who didn't get to play see it as an opportunity to get selected for Friday!

I think three things let us down in the game.

1) Our game plan requires a high degree of skill that we couldn’t execute due to lack of practice

Our game style has had the most success with fast, accurate handballs to get us out of trouble and find space in tight quarters. We had many more errant handballs and were generally less accurate last night than we were succeeding late in the season last year.

Our players were too far out of position to defend the fast entry once the errant handball and inevitable turnover occurred.

This might also explain why we typically start seasons poorly but improve as we get practice over the season.

2) Too much inexperience with AFL pressure and WB’s systems snowballed into mistakes

Whether this was underestimating the new style Saints, or keeping a reserve for the game against the Giants on Friday, we played too many players with limited exposure to AFL level pressure and Bulldog’s systems. This turned into demoralising mistakes that we were punished severely for, and compounded into more mistakes as desperation rose.

Our systems especially rely on good discipline and an even contribution to function effectively, a trait not often shared by panicked players.

3) Midfield out of practice at clearances against experienced ruckmen, ruckmen inexperienced

Our midfield’s ability to win clearances, either off of our own ruck or the opposition’s ruck was extremely poor. The practice they’ve had recently is primarily against English and Sweet (yet to debut) who are both young and somewhat inexperienced ruckmen. This used to be a strength of ours. Hopefully our midfield will sort this out with some more games under their belt!

Compounding this our ruckmen, English and Sweet, are essentially training against each other leading them to get trounced by genuinely experienced opposition. I really wish we had someone experienced in the first ruck role that they could defer to and learn from. I feel like sending him to get smashed each week is not giving him the best chance to succeed.

I hope we go in more experienced on Friday against the Giants. I think Trengove would be a good addition presuming he's fit and good to go.

Go Dogs.

We kick those goals we miss in the first and we win the game, slants don’t have the backbone to fight back from 3 goals down. We then basically gave up.

There is something broken in this team and perhaps it’s players rebelling against team selection ???

The small things that we didn’t do tell the story of the problem now.

1- the only time we pushed back was in the last after a fair tackle on Naughts and we tired to be tough and gave away a 50 lol, embarrassing

2- 3 players running next to McRae and he gets tackled from behind, no talk at all.

3- we clearly spend less time with ball in hand at training than other clubs. Since 17 our handling and target hitting has been deplorable.

4- we don’t have a single leader on field . NOT ONE

It’s obvious some better players are missing out and we as fans can’t understand it so what’s to say the players don’t get it either? I know i have been Pissed when I’ve played and blokes I’ve run out with aren’t up to it even at a Lower level so to think AFL players don’t feel that also is naive

We kick those goals we miss in the first and we win the game, slants don’t have the backbone to fight back from 3 goals down. We then basically gave up.

There is something broken in this team and perhaps it’s players rebelling against team selection ???

1- the only time we pushed back was in the last after a fair tackle on Naughts and we tired to be tough and gave away a 50 lol, embarrassing

2- 3 players running next to McRae and he gets tackled from behind, no talk at all.

3- we clearly spend less time with ball in hand at training than other clubs. Since 17 our handling and target hitting has been deplorable.

It’s obvious some better players are missing out and we as fans can’t understand it so what’s to say the players don’t get it either? I know i have been Pissed when I’ve played and blokes I’ve run out with aren’t up to it even at a Lower level so to think AFL players don’t feel that also is naive

what about the dan butler run into the open goal while 5 dogs players were staring into space and finger pointing? That was the worst part of the night by far

Won’t be watching that one again. I hope we're better for the run and that those who didn't get to play see it as an opportunity to get selected for Friday!

I think three things let us down in the game.

1) Our game plan requires a high degree of skill that we couldn’t execute due to lack of practice

Our game style has had the most success with fast, accurate handballs to get us out of trouble and find space in tight quarters. We had many more errant handballs and were generally less accurate last night than we were succeeding late in the season last year.

Our players were too far out of position to defend the fast entry once the errant handball and inevitable turnover occurred.

This might also explain why we typically start seasons poorly but improve as we get practice over the season.

2) Too much inexperience with AFL pressure and WB’s systems snowballed into mistakes

Whether this was underestimating the new style Saints, or keeping a reserve for the game against the Giants on Friday, we played too many players with limited exposure to AFL level pressure and Bulldog’s systems. This turned into demoralising mistakes that we were punished severely for, and compounded into more mistakes as desperation rose.

Our systems especially rely on good discipline and an even contribution to function effectively, a trait not often shared by panicked players.

3) Midfield out of practice at clearances against experienced ruckmen, ruckmen inexperienced

Our midfield’s ability to win clearances, either off of our own ruck or the opposition’s ruck was extremely poor. The practice they’ve had recently is primarily against English and Sweet (yet to debut) who are both young and somewhat inexperienced ruckmen. This used to be a strength of ours. Hopefully our midfield will sort this out with some more games under their belt!

Compounding this our ruckmen, English and Sweet, are essentially training against each other leading them to get trounced by genuinely experienced opposition. I really wish we had someone experienced in the first ruck role that they could defer to and learn from. I feel like sending him to get smashed each week is not giving him the best chance to succeed.

I hope we go in more experienced on Friday against the Giants. I think Trengove would be a good addition presuming he's fit and good to go.

Go Dogs.
quality post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice to see some aints and orf fans in here with a bit of spring in their step.

Good on them and I hope they continue to show as much class as one has come to expect.

The footy equivalent of your 18-year-old two pot screamer cousin.

A couple of sips of light and they’re getting all lippy and way ahead of themselves then they generally fall a over t.

Ive been banging on about it in the game day thread.

Bevo said in pre game interview that the club have allowed the myotherapists back rather than the assistant coaches.

Assistant coaches cost the club $130k - $150k each per year. Myotherapists work at the club away from their full time job and probably cost the club a fifth of what the assistant coaches cost. I doubt it was one or the other.

Nailed it especially no. 2 how can those players within 3 metres of MaCrae just stand and watch him being rundown from behind and not a single one yell “you’re hot or kick it” in a stadium with no crowd noise had me fuming. But this sums up our team right now, too many not doing the simple, non-negotiable team oriented things, and seeming to caring about their own spot.
Nail

From what I got from the press conference is that this team currently on the park isn’t the team Bevo envisions in the future.

This team needs a lot of work and we need to keep adding quality young players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

From what I got from the press conference is that this team currently on the park isn’t the team Bevo envisions in the future.

This team needs a lot of work and we need to keep adding quality young players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

the only justification I have for the bizarre team selection is that Bev only cares for winning flags. He cares not for winning games or finishing a respectable mid table place.

He is a genius and only plays the long game. He is so brilliant that most of us mere mortals will never see the magic trick until Bevo decides its time for us to see it.

the only justification I have for the bizarre team selection is that Bev only cares for winning flags. He cares not for winning games or finishing a respectable mid table place.

He is a genius and only plays the long game. He is so brilliant that most of us mere mortals will never see the magic trick until Bevo decides its time for us to see it.
Which is bizarre in itself as I absolutely think we have contending level list and the second half of last season showed that, and we added some quality additions in the off season. Bevo started playing the best 22 and we started winning games. There were a couple of odd selections for last years elimination final and low and behold we got smashed.

He seems to have gone back to chucking out a few players who might try at training and look okay against slightly less pressure but then absolutely cannot handle the heat of AFL football, instead of playing proven performers. I seriously worry that he does whatever he pleases and has no push back because he's assembled a bunch of yes men around him. Players get a sense of that and it doesn't take much to be off at AFL level for things to turn disastrous.

Bit of perspective is needed. We had Hunter and Wood missing, two massive outs, both for reasons we know. Lloyd kicked horribly which is unlike him. English didn't get any help against who I believe are two very good ruckmen (bring Trengove in). Vandermeer was solid for a first gamer. Gowers had a stinker. JJ didn't look like he wanted to be out there. Our overall disposal was very poor. Confidence was lacking and drops off fast in the AFL. St Kilda were up and about and using the ball really well compared to us.

As far as selection goes, Dickson or Lloyd (Dicko is injured I think). English needs a chop out (Trengove). Cordy when fit is better than Gardner. Wood obvious. Hunter obvious.

I don't blame Bevo

Ive been banging on about it in the game day thread.

Bevo said in pre game interview that the club have allowed the myotherapists back rather than the assistant coaches.

Maybe Bevo will move on to buy one of these for a lazy $14,990.....

1592200528428.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back