Autopsy Roast : Bevo’s stubborn match day selections and the loss to St.Kilda

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The transition defence starts from the forward line having dale gowers Wallis and Lloyd along side naughton and Bruce it’s a very one paced forward line and 3 of those players have no defensive instincts. We need to add a weightman or a west into that mix, IMO weightman more so as he had better goal sense. Without speed and defensive work rate in the forward half the ball moves too quickly without pressure and our zoning defenders get caught out.
Agree on this. Sam Lloyd has been garbage this year so far. Wallis has been far better but I agree carrying Gowers, Lloyd, Dale in the forward line isn't the right formula for us.

I'd pick cavarra over weightman at this stage with Cody to play the next few scratch matches to get some form.

I'd also bring schache in as well as he moves well and creates space for others and can provide a kick up the line.

Just still really frustrated there was literally five mins of dogs football on the weekend then absolute garbage. If we get blown off the park again without a yelp this weekend it's season done. I can handle a loss this weekend if we start to turn the corner with our pressure and ball movement but if we dish up that garbage again we are done

It isn't "Bonti", it's "Bont", if he's had a good game, "The Bont". It isn't "Dunk", it's "Dunks". He'd have to win a Brownlow to be promoted to "The Dunk". Smith is a work in progress, though, he's good enough to be "Smithy" isn't he ? "Macrae" is OK, though. He's not a "Macca". Patrick Lipinski is a real challenge. "Lippy" isn't quite right. "Lips" is better. If he gets good enough, he might eventually become "The Lip"
They call him Bonti at the club, it's only the mere fans who call him The Bont. Dunks is right. Smith is Baz or Bazlenka. I have heard players refer to Macrae as Jacko eg Clay Smith after the PF.

Bevo calls Gardner "Gardy" so he's obviously in favour and won't be dropped anytime soon.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
They call him Bonti at the club, it's only the mere fans who call him The Bont. Dunks is right. Smith is Baz or Bazlenka. I have heard players refer to Macrae as Jacko eg Clay Smith after the PF.

Bevo calls Gardner "Gardy" so he's obviously in favour and won't be dropped anytime soon.

IF that true, no wonder the boys are playing so poorly. They haven't even learned the rules of nicknames and diminutives.

Maybe Bevo sees Gardner the way Sheedy saw Kevin Walsh. The Bombres supporters cried for him to be axed early in his career, he looked like a complete unco dud. Sheedy stuck by him relentlessly and he went on to play in 2 premierships, made All Australian, won the E J Whitten Medal over his 162 game career.

Nah, who am I kidding.

Just on that, why do we have two big men in Gardner (197cm) and Schache (199cm) who should be key position size play more like smalls and not impose themselves on games. I know they're kids but it's indicative of our team. Harsh as it sounds but this team is timid and full of introverts.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just on that, why do we have two big men in Gardner (197cm) and Schache (199cm) who should be key position size play more like smalls and not impose themselves on games. I know they're kids but it's indicative of our team. Harsh as it sounds but this team is timid and full of introverts.

One reason I'm keen to see a Weightman debut.

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree on this. Sam Lloyd has been garbage this year so far. Wallis has been far better but I agree carrying Gowers, Lloyd, Dale in the forward line isn't the right formula for us.

I'd pick cavarra over weightman at this stage with Cody to play the next few scratch matches to get some form.

I'd also bring schache in as well as he moves well and creates space for others and can provide a kick up the line.

Just still really frustrated there was literally five mins of dogs football on the weekend then absolute garbage. If we get blown off the park again without a yelp this weekend it's season done. I can handle a loss this weekend if we start to turn the corner with our pressure and ball movement but if we dish up that garbage again we are done

I wouldn’t go with schache purely because we need help for English in the ruck and that releases English up forward for stints which would then make is massively tall up forward.

Lloyd and dales form is very concerning, gowers should never have been in the team to start with. Could always go with both cavarra and weightman I just thing weightman would offer a great spark with his energy and young small forwards can generally impact for a team straight away.

Wasn't Malthouse considered ahead of his time when he built his box on stilts at WO?

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Surrounded by opposition supporters, but it was the best seat in the house to watch The Hawk 🤩

BrunswickDog

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have a very Demons 2019 vibe about us.

Big recriuts, big hype, too slow, game style that teams figured out, plundered early in the season and didn't recover.

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We must be reading different threads. This is littered with blame being laid with the MC and comments about the match being lost at Thursday night selection.

Disposal efficiency doesn’t always tell the story either. It was pretty evident we were fumbly around the contest and ballsed up a lot of the link up disposals. There was also a lack of down the line footy from both teams, our turnovers were the kicks/HB’s that should’ve have been bread and butter stuff.
It may have been 70% but the other 30% was costly when it shouldn’t have been. This was all pretty evident from watching the game.
Ha. No the same thread. The one where you've commented on page 4...

"On a serious note though...Do we honestly think that Gardner playing tonight was the reason we lost?"

But not interested in continuing that. Though I am interested to know why you seem defensive of the Gardner selection.

In my view, he was one of many contributing factors in the team's poor performance. But one of the more obvious ones. Which is why people are frustrated. Because in each of his last three games he's been well below AFL standard. And we've got other proven performers not being selected. Young and Trengove are examples. In fact, one of Gardner's only kicks in the first half, perhaps his only kick, was a turnover under no pressure, inside our F50 when there were two clear bulldog options that could have had a shot on goal. Instead, his kick down the throat of Ross led to a Butler goal. See replay with 3.27 to play. And he was lucky not to cost us the very next goal, with a free kick in a marking contest against a much shorter Gresham.

So do you think Gardner wasn't a contributing factor or do you just think his poor performance is being over emphasised? Do you keep him in this week ahead of Le Young and Trengove?

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bevo is obviously hoping that Gardner is the next Joel Hamling.
Both couldn’t get a game as forwards at Geelong and were recruited to play down back for us... lightning doesn’t strike twice though.
I have seen nothing in Gardner’s game that suggests he’ll make it. I hope the nightmare of having him in the team is worth it and he turns into a great player but I just do not see it and usually you see something... little flashes here and there that make you realise there’s some talent that will grow.

Both couldn’t get a game as forwards at Geelong and were recruited to play down back for us... lightning doesn’t strike twice though.
I have seen nothing in Gardner’s game that suggests he’ll make it. I hope the nightmare of having him in the team is worth it and he turns into a great player but I just do not see it and usually you see something... little flashes here and there that make you realise there’s some talent that will grow.
[/QUOTE

Didnt Clarko stubbornly continue to play some poor defenders.

i also remember some Richmond defender who was shocking early days become a star of the competition.

Cookie

Club Legend
May 2, 2004
Right in front of you
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
CreweAlex,SF Giants,Detroit Lions

Bev said that Gardner is a very good kick. He must leave it on the training track. His total kicks in his short career so far tallies 16. At least 4 of them went down the throat of opposition players, and 2 of them went down the throat of Harry Suck sitting in row 5.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bev said that Gardner is a very good kick. He must leave it on the training track. His total kicks in his short career so far tallies 16. At least 4 of them went down the throat of opposition players, and 2 of them went down the throat of Harry Suck sitting in row 5.
You could even handle those statistics if he had a decent technique. He looks like he’s never kicked a ball before.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ha. No the same thread. The one where you've commented on page 4...

"On a serious note though...Do we honestly think that Gardner playing tonight was the reason we lost?"

But not interested in continuing that. Though I am interested to know why you seem defensive of the Gardner selection.

In my view, he was one of many contributing factors in the team's poor performance. But one of the more obvious ones. Which is why people are frustrated. Because in each of his last three games he's been well below AFL standard. And we've got other proven performers not being selected. Young and Trengove are examples. In fact, one of Gardner's only kicks in the first half, perhaps his only kick, was a turnover under no pressure, inside our F50 when there were two clear bulldog options that could have had a shot on goal. Instead, his kick down the throat of Ross led to a Butler goal. See replay with 3.27 to play. And he was lucky not to cost us the very next goal, with a free kick in a marking contest against a much shorter Gresham.

So do you think Gardner wasn't a contributing factor or do you just think his poor performance is being over emphasised? Do you keep him in this week ahead of Le Young and Trengove?

Not sure what you’ve read that would suggest I’m defending his selection. It is frustrating when people focus on the red herring but I’m not defending his selection.

You just had to scroll down further from where you cut and paste my comment to see what my opinion is.

To elaborate...Should he have played? No, I wouldn’t have picked him and he’d be out of the side this week to if it was up to me. But I don’t believe his selection or performance contributed to the loss anywhere near as much as other factors, these are also in my original post and a few others.

There were so many glaring issues with our game on Sunday, I’m surprised that Gardner was one of the main contributors in your eyes. Players lacked interest at times, there was no effort in defensive running for large parts of the game, mids lacked cohesion at times, skill execution was woeful at times when turnovers were going to be costly (particularly when we weren’t willing to put the effort in to our defensive running), too many of our fwds dropped their bundle after 10min in to the game. Do these things not concern you?

Like I said, Gardiners selection and performance comes a long way behind these things. If we fix some of those things, we’re a chance next week, regardless of whether Gardiner plays or not. But if that stuff happens again, Gardiner could be playing twos and we’ll still be flogged by GWS.

Not sure who comes in to replace him. Probably one of Trenners or Cordy. GWS have some decent sized fwds so all three might play. Who knows. Bit tricky to predict at the moment as no one has the chance to knock down the selection room door and none of us are privy to what condition certain players are in.

Last edited:
Back