Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to rag on him, but the most under the radar 200 games in the clubs history. I guess that's what happens when you average 17 touches 0.2 goals a game as a running half back, with not many lockdown responsibilities with questionable skills at times.

Should thank god every day for his pace, congrats on the 200, but it probably represents where the clubs been for the last decade.

He's only 28, could quite easily reach 300 games, let that sink in for a second.
I've mentioned this in another thread, but I reckon Atts is the only player yet to fully grasp the "Rhys way".....still looks confused out there at times....runs, stops, props, looking for the outlier runner to give the ball to. Our game plan is YOU win the ball, YOU create, back your own instincts.

I've mentioned this in another thread, but I reckon Atts is the only player yet to fully grasp the "Rhys way".....still looks confused out there at times....runs, stops, props, looking for the outlier runner to give the ball to. Our game plan is YOU win the ball, YOU create, back your own instincts.
I think its more so that he isn't really a smart footballer. He's not a dumb footballer by any stretch but I think his footy brain doesn't' work quite fast enough to suit his physical attributes. Hence he runs into pockets of opposition players and ends up throwing the ball on his boot. He hasn't learned how and when to use his attributes to suit the situation, so it doesn't really matter what coach he has. What we see now is peak Atley.

I don't want to rag on him, but the most under the radar 200 games in the clubs history. I guess that's what happens when you average 17 touches 0.2 goals a game as a running half back, with not many lockdown responsibilities with questionable skills at times.

Should thank god every day for his pace, congrats on the 200, but it probably represents where the clubs been for the last decade.

He's only 28, could quite easily reach 300 games, let that sink in for a second.

Thats honestly horrifying, he will easily get to 300

Early on there was quite a few turnovers but Atleys in particular left us completely exposed on the rebound.
Our gameplan is to be risk adverse and to limit our weakness on the spread, but when he’s part of the link up chain and crucial to breaking the lines he can illafford to balls it up as often did.
Funnily the knock he copped slowed him down somewhat and he made some more calculated decisions as a result.

Imagine being solid without being spectacular, durable and coming off another top 10 Syd finish. Then being pilloried for it. Solid citizen. Every club needs them. And would happily take Atley for another 100.
I reckon he has been told to take the game on and play on his strengths, which is his speed and agility.

Yes, he may get it wrong a few times but I think under Shaw he’s only going to lift to a new level.

I don't know about new level, but agree with the rest of this.

Imagine being solid without being spectacular, durable and coming off another top 10 Syd finish. Then being pilloried for it. Solid citizen. Every club needs them. And would happily take Atley for another 100.

Looks hes definitely top 22..but I would think he is starting to become more bottom 8 than top 8 of the side, and not sure you really want to be in that position when you have a good crop of kids coming through, plus some high draft picks to use.

Looks hes definitely top 22..but I would think he is starting to become more bottom 8 than top 8 of the side, and not sure you really want to be in that position when you have a good crop of kids coming through, plus some high draft picks to use.
He's basically been the 10th best player in the 10th best team for a long time. Good enough to be solid in the 22. After 10 seasons, that is unlikely to change.

If we are going to make a move, he'll end up being in the 19-22 category. A decent, durable player but one who will need to be wary of new players coming through.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

He's basically been the 10th best player in the 10th best team for a long time. Good enough to be solid in the 22. After 10 seasons, that is unlikely to change.

If we are going to make a move, he'll end up being in the 19-22 category. A decent, durable player but one who will need to be wary of new players coming through.

Geez some of the analysis around here is melodramatic.
if Atley is the 19-22 best play in your team. That team walks to a premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez some of the analysis around here is melodramatic.
if Atley is the 19-22 best play in your team. That team walks to a premiership.
A premiership is the idea isn't it? He's a lower mid tier player and we're mid table. If we are winning it, he's going to be pushed down the pecking order.

A premiership is the idea isn't it? He's a lower mid tier player and we're mid table. If we are winning it, he's going to be pushed down the pecking order.

I reckon you're undervaluing his defensive capability mate.

It's not often that he doesn't shut down his opponent.

I reckon you're undervaluing his defensive capability mate.

It's not often that he doesn't shut down his opponent.
He's solid and durable. He's also going to be in the bottom few players in the 22 if we are winning premierships.

I haven't said he won't or shouldn't keep his spot.

One thing that he needs to work on is avoiding/fending off the tackler/s, has the pace, but rarely does a sidestep/balk, and sometimes it is better to wear a tackle than blindly get rid of the pill to nowhere in particular.
I recall he used to be good at that In his early days off half back

Early on there was quite a few turnovers but Atleys in particular left us completely exposed on the rebound.
There was one in there that was super weird. You just couldn't tell from the camera angle what happened. Either a forward crossed him up changing direction or he just completely misread a leading pattern. Not even Ats drops a 25m pass into a nest of defenders like that regularly. But he was far from alone with shitty F50 entries early on.

Atley seems like the type that has much more value in a good side than a bad side or a side that relies on him for too much. He's quite versatile too, in fact, I think he is super underrated for his versatility. I've seen him shut down small forwards, burst through packs, hit forwards lace out whilst running full pelt, and kick crazy goals as a forward. He just can't put it all together consistently. If we are good enough to play in a grand final in the coming years, I could totally see him doing a 'Freeborn' and provide a 10 minutes of match-winning play. If Houli and Johannisen can do it, I can totally see Atley doing it too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back