Mod. Notice Competitions: READ BEFORE POSTING A COMPETITION

Remove this Banner Ad

Like a FJ&GD Survivor of sorts? I'm actually keen for it 😁
The issue with running a game of Survivor is that early on in the game you get rid of the weaker players as you make your team stronger. And only remove the stronger players past the merge when its individual.
I like the idea of elimination, but Survivor is more of a social game rather than skill game.

I'm sure everyone else will be thrilled with this! Think we had a similar idea to this in the past, based around State of Origin. Think it would be best done by putting designers of approximate abilities into pots and then drawing them all out to get even teams
I was thinking about randomly switching up groups every week or couple of weeks, so that everyone gets a chance with everyone, and so therefore it keeps the groups kinda even.

It might be an idea to dish out points after every round to the winning group(s), groups get shuffled, and a tally is kept for individual performance. Winner would the individual that wins the most weeks.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I think collaborative design is really difficult to do well on a forum like this, especially when requiring people to stick to timeframes over multiple rounds.

I do like the idea of process sharing and designing based on the brief and input of others though. Every single sports logo and uniform in existence was put together by a designer following someone else's brief.

I've long held an idea for a weekly comp where we go through the longer term, well established NAFL identities, choosing one each week as the subject where everyone can have a crack at doing their own interpretation of the Boomers, Wellington, Perth Phoenix, etc. Instead of a poll, the winner could be chosen by the team owner.

IMPULSE ONE-OFF COMP
LET'S GO!
Disclaimer: Totally didn't edit it to allow all ages to participate
Untitled-1.png

95729232_3162384843825972_5540975984750100480_n.jpg

Last edited:

After a brief 6 months since my last competition ended, man's itching for that weekly ting!
Brace yourself for.......
New-Team-Who-Dis.png

(Disclaimer: I think something like this has been done before but slightly different, happy to be corrected)
Each week a random Australian suburb will be given a team for the 2021 AFL Season
Location and colours will be chosen via random generators
Team nicknames and designs are completely up to the designer
Colours Gen: https://coolors.co/ Location Gen: https://www.getrandomthings.com/list-of-cities-in-australia.php
The winners get to choose how many times the generators will be used for the next team
Last time I asked for 3 kits, now the bare minimum is 1! (if you choose the Home to be the away as well)
Lets get the creative juices flowing again! Open to tweaks and ideas too​

After a brief 6 months since my last competition ended, man's itching for that weekly ting!
View attachment 893546
(Disclaimer: I think something like this has been done before but slightly different, happy to be corrected)
Each week a random Australian suburb will be given a team for the 2021 AFL Season
Colours Gen: https://coolors.co/ Location Gen: https://www.getrandomthings.com/list-of-cities-in-australia.php
The winners get to choose how many times the generators will be used for the next team
Last time I asked for 3 kits, now the bare minimum is 1! (if you choose the Home to be the away as well)
Is it 10 likes or 10 reactions for the green light?
Anyway, for that bit of authenticity, I will screencapture the random generators being used and upload the footage to Youtube as unlisted so only you guys can see it. Rules are done, quick edit, it's a minumum of 2 jumpers now.
/AFLClashJumperPolicy

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
View attachment 893546
Is it 10 likes or 10 reactions for the green light?
Anyway, for that bit of authenticity, I will screencapture the random generators being used and upload the footage to Youtube as unlisted so only you guys can see it. Rules are done, quick edit, it's a minumum of 2 jumpers now.
/AFLClashJumperPolicy

I know you have the likes and all, but I totally forgot to reply to the original post with an edit that I would have suggested.

Basically my main concerns for this is that we have done so many things related to Australia, and I am worried that this could cross a bit too much into the realm of the NAFL where people may accidently design something similar to peoples plans for the upcoming season. It is unlikely with the randomised colours and locations, but it is possible that similarities could happen.

So my suggestion was going to be instead of making the competition an expansion of the AFL, that you take the ideas of an old "competition/workshop" called the IARP (International Australian Rules Premiership). It was an idea that myself and two other designers (Cory and Gava) had where the three of us competed against each other using international locations, team names, and colours suggested by others, and had to come up with a full brand for this team (kits and logos - though the logos were generally recolours).

If you were to make the change (where you could keep the random location and colour generation), you could base the idea on random international locations and colours where people may have never thought of to design for, and it would allow for some really interesting ideas that may have never been thought of before.

I am ok if you keep it in Australia, but this may just add a bit more creativity and thinking out of the box to the idea.

(Link to the original IARP Challenge)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 893546

Yeah Craegus brought up what I was also thinking, I’m a touch worried there will be significant overlap with NAFL, especially with the much larger NAFL competition this season, depending on how it’s approached.

I could just be overthinking it, tho.

I know you have the likes and all, but I totally forgot to reply to the original post with an edit that I would have suggested.

Basically my main concerns for this is that we have done so many things related to Australia, and I am worried that this could cross a bit too much into the realm of the NAFL where people may accidently design something similar to peoples plans for the upcoming season. It is unlikely with the randomised colours and locations, but it is possible that similarities could happen.

So my suggestion was going to be instead of making the competition an expansion of the AFL, that you take the ideas of an old "competition/workshop" called the IARP (International Australian Rules Premiership). It was an idea that myself and two other designers (Cory and Gava) had where the three of us competed against each other using international locations, team names, and colours suggested by others, and had to come up with a full brand for this team (kits and logos - though the logos were generally recolours).

If you were to make the change (where you could keep the random location and colour generation), you could base the idea on random international locations and colours where people may have never thought of to design for, and it would allow for some really interesting ideas that may have never been thought of before.

I am ok if you keep it in Australia, but this may just add a bit more creativity and thinking out of the box to the idea.

At least for me personally (but I'm sure others feel the same), designing for places outside Australia just doesn't have the same connection or realism, and I sometimes don't have the same enthusiasm as I would for somewhere in Australia. I feel like there might not be as much interest in designing for cities outside Australia as there would be for Australian cities

An idea to not encroach on possible NAFL ideas cannavo would be to do away with the random city simulator (which I played around on and brought up Geelong more than once) and instead create a list of small towns and suburbs (such as those with a population under 100,000) for either you or the winners to select from

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
An idea to not encroach on possible NAFL ideas cannavo would be to do away with the random city simulator (which I played around on and brought up Geelong more than once) and instead create a list of small towns and suburbs (such as those with a population under 100,000) for either you or the winners to select from

That could actually encroach even more on the NAFL unfortunately. Especially with the changes happening in the NAFL this season.

+1 for places outside Australia. Originality and creativity will be greater, even if participation is lower.

And another suggestion, instead of the same old boring 'Everybody Votes for a Winner' at the end of each round, what about a reverse-IARP where an esteemed panel of three judges pick the best design (or they even do a 3-2-1 Brownlow style). Makes it more prestigious!

+1 for places outside Australia. Originality and creativity will be greater, even if participation is lower.

And another suggestion, instead of the same old boring 'Everybody Votes for a Winner' at the end of each round, what about a reverse-IARP where an esteemed panel of three judges pick the best design (or they even do a 3-2-1 Brownlow style). Makes it more prestigious!
Love this suggestion

Yeah Craegus brought up what I was also thinking, I’m a touch worried there will be significant overlap with NAFL, especially with the much larger NAFL competition this season, depending on how it’s approached.

I could just be overthinking it, tho.
At least for me personally (but I'm sure others feel the same), designing for places outside Australia just doesn't have the same connection or realism, and I sometimes don't have the same enthusiasm as I would for somewhere in Australia. I feel like there might not be as much interest in designing for cities outside Australia as there would be for Australian cities

Thanks for the 2 cents everyone!

NAFL didn't cross my mind but I can understand the possibility of design/location coincidences. So I will include international places too, and instead of the teams "entering the 2021 AFL season" I'll have these teams compete in like an international pre-season cup to make more sense. Then after say 32 teams have been done, I'll poll the teams playing a cup for an ultimate winner. Whether the next team will be Australian or International will rely on a coin toss (keeping that random factor in)
Thread will be up soon

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
Ok, I've never suggested anything before and this will probably be the last time I do. Here's my idea.

It's probably because I've worked as a graphic designer, but it's always kind of annoyed me that you get a LOT of freedom when designing for competitions here. It is what it is, but the thing is, it isn't like this in the real world. In the real world, you get a brief from someone that is usually very specific and quite restrictive... but it's better this way as the restrictions force you to be creative - you have to think above and beyond.

My idea is to provide real world type briefs for the competitions, which at first appear to be of moderate to severe difficulty. These could be for real AFL clubs or imaginary ones. Here are some examples of what I mean:

- Design next season's Carlton home guernsey. (Hard) (With all of these, the manufacturer and sponsors are specified, and you can't recolour logos).
- Design a new clash strip for Richmond that is yellow and black but does not use the sash. (Easyish) (These will more often be controversial/tricky "hot topics" like Essendon, Port)
- Design a new clash strip for Freo that is white but does not use the chevrons or anchor. (Moderate)
- Imaginary suburban club has had X guernsey for 25 years and wants an update. Design a modern version with roughly the same proportions of colour.

They would be mostly guernsey briefs but there would also be some apparel/merch briefs too, for example:

- Design a cap in the New Era 100 Year range for [club] (a 100 year old club from the WAFL or VFA etc)
- A run-out top for an AFL/VFL/SANFL/WAFL club

I'm imagining it as relatively short and sweet, maybe ten rounds or so. I would administer it of course, not sure whether I would have to bar myself from entering.

More than happy to wait some months to fit around other comps in progress, if required.

I would also be happy to offer a merchandise type prize to the overall winner!

You've graduated from the school of FJGD and landed a real job!
You've settled into your new desk and your first project is about to arrive...

Working title: Welcome to the real world.

Last edited:
Ok, I've never suggested anything before and this will probably be the last time I do. Here's my idea.

It's always kind of annoyed me that you get a LOT of freedom when designing for competitions here. It is what it is, but the thing is, it isn't like this in the real world. In the real world, you get a brief from someone that is usually very specific and quite restrictive... but it's better this way as the restrictions produce creativity as you have to think above and beyond.

My idea is to provide real world type briefs for the competitions, which at first appear to be of moderate to severe difficulty. These could be for real AFL clubs or imaginary ones. Here are some examples of what I mean:

- Design next season's Carlton home guernsey, apparel sponsor specified as [TBA]. (Hard)
- Design a clash strip for [specified club] that has [specified colour] as a base. (Too easy, added specifications depending on which club)
- Imaginary club has had X guernsey for 25 years and wants an update. Design a modern version with roughly the same proportions of colour.

They would be mostly guernsey briefs but there would also be some apparel/merch briefs too, for example:

- Design a cap in the New Era 100 Year range for [club] (a 100 year old club from the WAFL or VFA etc)
- A run-out top

I'm imagining it as relatively short and sweet, maybe ten rounds or so. I would administer it of course, not sure whether I would have to bar myself from entering.

More than happy to wait some months to fit around other comps in progress, if required.

I would also be happy to offer a merchandise type prize to the overall winner!

You've graduated from the school of FJGD and landed a real job!
You've settled into your new desk and your first project is about to arrive...

Working title: Welcome to the real world.

cool idea.

probably wouldn’t compete because I come on here to design stuff I don’t get to to at work but it’s very realistic.

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
Here is a competition which uses history and modern design to create a winning entry. My idea is to take any of the former teams of the VFA and design how their jumper/s and logo would be today. The restrictions are they have to be a former VFA club, and you have to use their colours or a slight different version of the colour/s. The mascot would also be the same, but can be changed for modern tastes. There are plenty to chose from, here is an example of the choice:
Camberwell Cobras
85egxEi.jpg

Springvale Scorpins
M7Z42hK.jpg

Box Hill Mustangs
SiU2WLR.jpg

University Students
0m7fUlB.jpg

Yarraville Eagles
l2AaBv9.jpg

West Melbourne
hSHzhFH.jpg

Waverley Panthers
AK5rLjH.jpg

Traralgon Maroons
7Wo1p8i.jpg

Sunshine Crows
sd3h67i.jpg

Prahran Two Blues
4pqWxox.jpg

Oakleigh Oaks
XbdcONC.jpg

Preston Bullants
cQxu7b9.jpg

Northcote Dragons
Dc5qXVv.jpg

North Ballarat Rousters
Np4rSMw.jpg

Mordialloc Bloods
GE8cOKd.jpg

Moorabbin Kanagroos
Qt8ldPE.jpg

Kilstyl Courages
Qt8ldPE.jpg

Geelong West Roosters
8ajByU7.jpg

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
To explain my contest idea more visually I decided to create this picture to promote the contest.

YNrxzsZ.jpg

The idea is to take one VFA club and show what their jumpers would look like today as well as the club logo. You can pick from any of the 52 or so VFA clubs that there was and bring them into the 21st century. What would the Yarraville Football Club look like today, what would the Northcote Dragons wear into battle, just take any VFA team and bring them into this century. Tell the story how they survived and got to today. Bring new life to the old VFA clubs.

Back