NEAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 2020 finally put out of its misery

NEAFL 2020 Update

What an embarrassment for NSW/ACT and QLD, can't even support a reduced season. Whether its the last "season" in current format or not is another issue. This is a terrible look in the big development states - can't even support a limited second tier comp. Pathetic AFL. Most positive thing that's happened to Rugby for ages!

Given the difficulties with getting in and out of Qld, I’m not sure what the other options were? Uni play Canberra in a best of seven and the three Qld teams play a round robin?

What an embarrassment for NSW/ACT and QLD, can't even support a reduced season. Whether its the last "season" in current format or not is another issue. This is a terrible look in the big development states - can't even support a limited second tier comp. Pathetic AFL. Most positive thing that's happened to Rugby for ages!

You're overstating it a lot. This league was a hackneyed idea from start to finish, pretty much no-one cared once most of the state league teams disappeared back to their own competitions. There's basically no incentive for the remaining ones to travel now that the AFL reserves teams aren't participating this season. Given nobody gave a hoot before, I can't see how it has any impact whatsoever on any form of rugby. I'm sure the AFL will be happy to support separate QAFL and Sydney AFL comps including the remaining NEAFL sides.

Given the difficulties with getting in and out of Qld, I’m not sure what the other options were? Uni play Canberra in a best of seven and the three Qld teams play a round robin?
QLD will not be closed forever, even the NT is opening up mid July, so a feasible although fairly compromised draw was possible if desired. It just shows the lack of commitment to the comp - it was always different to the other leagues due to being development states.

You're overstating it a lot. This league was a hackneyed idea from start to finish, pretty much no-one cared once most of the state league teams disappeared back to their own competitions. There's basically no incentive for the remaining ones to travel now that the AFL reserves teams aren't participating this season. Given nobody gave a hoot before, I can't see how it has any impact whatsoever on any form of rugby. I'm sure the AFL will be happy to support separate QAFL and Sydney AFL comps including the remaining NEAFL sides.

Fair enough you weren't a fan of the comp. My reference to rugby is that I believe in Brisbane, Sydney (and Canberra a bit) inroads have been made in private schools, academies etc generally where recently aussie rules has become a good option and many that would have traditionally stayed in rugby at least during their youth are turning to aussie rules and getting better younger as a result. The Academies have been churning out grads. There ought to be a decent level of comp available (Syd AFL, QAFL and ACTAFL not there yet - I certainly hope they get a boost / revamp if there's to be no second tier) locally if AFL is fair dinkum long term.

Fair enough you weren't a fan of the comp. My reference to rugby is that I believe in Brisbane, Sydney (and Canberra a bit) inroads have been made in private schools, academies etc generally where recently aussie rules has become a good option and many that would have traditionally stayed in rugby at least during their youth are turning to aussie rules and getting better younger as a result. The Academies have been churning out grads. There ought to be a decent level of comp available (Syd AFL, QAFL and ACTAFL not there yet - I certainly hope they get a boost / revamp if there's to be no second tier) locally if AFL is fair dinkum long term.

Swans Chairman -
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/swans-chairman-fearful-of-v-landys-nrl-20200630-p557nd.html
Its quite ironic I think that he says this given I understand that the Swans keep pushing to leave the NEAFL (while GWS is very supportive) and join the VFL+. Agree with him re: local content and consider second tier part of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back