Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Boyohboywowwee

All Australian
Jun 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I also thought I'd share this screen shot of a juicy-looking hypothetical Port AFL side, had they made it back in 1991.

luGG6zT.png

Take away the white oval outline and that looks like the simpsons credits at the end of each episode

Boyohboywowwee

All Australian
Jun 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Simple have the prison bars but make it teal above the bars and the number box on the back. Hopefully that keeps Ed happy and it still has the black and white Port Adelaide history alongside added teal for the current side who have also won an AFL premiership

Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks, Southampton FC
There's only one Prison Bar jumper IMO and it is Black and White. I can happily say I support the movement to Bring Back The Bars. In fact, I've been looking for this season's Wharf Pylon jumper, but the Port store sold out.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Simple have the prison bars but make it teal above the bars and the number box on the back. Hopefully that keeps Ed happy and it still has the black and white Port Adelaide history alongside added teal for the current side who have also won an AFL premiership
I personally figured this was the most logical choice for PA back in '97, but I have a feeling if they pushed for it now Eddie would kick up a stink.

I personally figured this was the most logical choice for PA back in '97, but I have a feeling if they pushed for it now Eddie would kick up a stink.
This makes a lot of sense and it would actually reflect what is in the club logo.
View attachment 894400
In a way their first AFL jumper was an abstract version of this proposed design. Their logo suggests it may have been a consideration at the time. Maybe it wasn't considered, maybe PA opted against it, maybe the AFL/Collingwood vetoed it?

I think I brought this up earlier, and Andonis1997 probably did the first mockup of that idea that I’ve actually liked, but it defeats the purpose of the campaign. It’s like when the Eagles returned the wings but still wore the navy, it wasn’t a true return to the club’s heritage until they wore royal and gold.

The “bring back the bars” monicker is a simplification, it’s not just about putting the bars back on the guernsey, it’s about wearing their iconic guernsey in its true form. If it still has teal as any sort of predominant colour, they might as well just stay in their current guernsey.

None of this should be about keeping Eddie happy. As I’ve said before, Collingwood for the longest time wore a predominately white guernsey with black stripes and only started wearing black as their base colour in 2000, after Port we’re forced to drop the bars. If they want to play the history card, they can go back to that, Port can wear the bars in their true form and there’s no clash.

Or, ideally, everyone wins and Collingwood doesn’t have to change and Port wears the bars and whenever they face, the away team wears a clash guernsey. Literally nothing bad happens to Collingwood in this scenario, there will be no mass confusion about what club they are watching, shared colours happens in every major sporting league in the world.

I’ve had this rant too many times but end of the day, Port should be wearing the bars. No teal yoke, no recoloured bars, no teal collar and cuffs - they should wear what they wore in the Showdown full-time.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think I brought this up earlier, and Andonis1997 probably did the first mockup of that idea that I’ve actually liked, but it defeats the purpose of the campaign. It’s like when the Eagles returned the wings but still wore the navy, it wasn’t a true return to the club’s heritage until they wore royal and gold.

The “bring back the bars” monicker is a simplification, it’s not just about putting the bars back on the guernsey, it’s about wearing their iconic guernsey in its true form. If it still has teal as any sort of predominant colour, they might as well just stay in their current guernsey.

None of this should be about keeping Eddie happy. As I’ve said before, Collingwood for the longest time wore a predominately white guernsey with black stripes and only started wearing black as their base colour in 2000, after Port we’re forced to drop the bars. If they want to play the history card, they can go back to that, Port can wear the bars in their true form and there’s no clash.

Or, ideally, everyone wins and Collingwood doesn’t have to change and Port wears the bars and whenever they face, the away team wears a clash guernsey. Literally nothing bad happens to Collingwood in this scenario, there will be no mass confusion about what club they are watching, shared colours happens in every major sporting league in the world.

I’ve had this rant too many times but end of the day, Port should be wearing the bars. No teal yoke, no recoloured bars, no teal collar and cuffs - they should wear what they wore in the Showdown full-time.
But is your issue with recoloured bars or teal specifically? Could black with silver bars work?

But is your issue with recoloured bars or teal specifically? Could black with silver bars work?

Recoloured bars.

If you’re going to have black and silver bars, especially if they’re “light enough to look white under lights” as some have suggested, it’s a bullshit compromise, when there is no actual need to compromise. There will be no practical difference clash wise for Collingwood between white and silver bars, so there’s no good reason for them to accept silver and not white.

Total non-issue if Port wore the bars in their true form full-time.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Recoloured bars.

If you’re going to have black and silver bars, especially if they’re “light enough to look white under lights” as some have suggested, it’s a bullshit compromise, when there is no actual need to compromise. There will be no practical difference clash wise for Collingwood between white and silver bars, so there’s no good reason for them to accept silver and not white.

Total non-issue if Port wore the bars in their true form full-time.
I would like to see port do a modern and unique take on the PB (as much as I like the current design), just different enough to make Eddie go away and stop complaining. Edit: I knocked one together, not saying it's fantastic, but he couldn't complain.

port.png

Also is the current logo now permanent? I was of the impression it was a limited run - but it looks awesome and should stay

Last edited:
I would like to see port do a modern and unique take on the PB (as much as I like the current design), just different enough to make Eddie go away and stop complaining. Edit: I knocked one together, not saying it's fantastic, but he couldn't complain.

View attachment 897386

Also is the current logo now permanent? I was of the impression it was a limited run - but it looks awesome and should stay

The whole point of this is that they wear their classic guernsey. If they’re wearing some weird hybrid or modernisation they might as well just stick with what they’ve got.

Be gold to see port finish top and demand right to wear the bars in the gf - against Collingwood

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If I were Kochie I’d just do it and cop the fine, similar to Nike paying the fines for MJ when he wore Air Jordans in the NBA at first.

Jul 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool // Ferrari

I agree completely. You only have to look at the NBL to see it has no ill effect at all. Illawarra and Perth both share red, white, black, in a league less supported and smaller than the AFL, where unique colour sets could be enforced.. Business as usual for them, no brand dilution for either party.

Port should be in the PB's.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
The whole point of this is that they wear their classic guernsey. If they’re wearing some weird hybrid or modernisation they might as well just stick with what they’ve got.
Yeah I get that, but I also feel like a lot of port supporters don't have any love for the current kit (which is quite strong), introducing some aspect of the heritage may placate it a bit and get around Eddie's bullcrap.

Edit: I can't believe he referred the whole thing to the AFL legal team.. wtf Eddie

Yeah I get that, but I also feel like a lot of port supporters don't have any love for the current kit (which is quite strong), introducing some aspect of the heritage may placate it a bit and get around Eddie's bullcrap.

Edit: I can't believe he referred the whole thing to the AFL legal team.. wtf Eddie

I think the general consensus from the fans is that they want the bars back.

Dylan8 said it best - it’s a bit past the point of compromises.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
just gonna copy and paste what i wrote on the north board about this

Frankly I think the club should even be allowed to call itself the magpies if it wants to. If Collingwood didn't want something like this to happen, they shouldn't have supported the VFL's expansion into a national competition that would pull the rug out from under the SANFL and WAFL and degrade them into 2s leagues. They should have known a club like Port wouldn't just sit around and passively let itself be confined to the dustbin of history.

The jumper itself is good looking, unique and historical. There's just about nothing else like it in footy history, it's tied to Port's geographic location since it's based on the shape of wharf pylons, and when you look at other jumpers originating from the same time period, mostly the standard faire of stripes, sashes, monograms, vees or just single solid colours, it's unparallelled in how creative it is. For as long as Port aren't allowed to wear it in the AFL, the self appointed guardian of the history and culture of the game, it's a piece of history that's missing from the league.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
If Collingwood didn't want something like this to happen, they shouldn't have supported the VFL's expansion into a national competition that would pull the rug out from under the SANFL and WAFL and degrade them into 2s leagues

I absolutely f***en love that you've turned around the classic "well if you didn't want to give up your guernsey you should have stayed in a state league" argument on it's head here. Brilliant take that I haven't heard in years and years of arguing about this.

Back