List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a replacement for Higgins, an ollie wines would be very good, of course josh kelly as a FA would be decent and very likely in that by then, GWS would have fallen further as they are not likely to win a flag with an overpaid team that has been scarred from multiple failures.
I like Wines but he’s not a Higgins replacement he’s a Cunners replacement

A fit brad crouch has the burst away pace to be a Higgins replacement, finds a lot of ball but would need to improve disposal

but as a free agent he’d be good if Zac Williams stays at gws

Hl

Also, knowing quite a few blokes from Narrandera and Leeton, kids often play both RL and AFL around there, although AFL is definately more popular.

Most of the kids board in Melbourne, go to uni in Melbourne etc. Relate much more to Melbourne than Sydney.
As a bloke who grew up in Leeton and Narrandera that's pretty true although the shining lights of Sydney do beckon as well.

I don't believe he didn't not want to be a Roo, though.

Carlton were prepared to trade a 1st round pick and from that moment onward they because the talk of the Papley trade.

I don't believe he didn't not want to be a Roo, though.
Yeah I thought it was that he chose the Blues from the options available to him, but we had previously removed ourselves as an option.

In any case, if he still wants to come back to Victoria at the end of this year, I hope we have a crack.

He's not really a "real NSW product" he's from Narrandera, which is a closer drive to Melbourne than it is Sydney.

Also, knowing quite a few blokes from Narrandera and Leeton, kids often play both RL and AFL around there, although AFL is definately more popular.

Most of the kids board in Melbourne, go to uni in Melbourne etc. Relate much more to Melbourne than Sydney.

Narrandera is further west than Dubbo. (So is Melbourne.). It's a beautiful town. Spend some time there.

It's basically the beginning of the Riverina. Yeah it's in NSW but mentally it's not, it's just north of the Murray. If the real divide between NSW and Vic is if they love Aussie Rules or not then all of that south central and south western NSW area and the Riverina is all Victoria. Spiderbait are from that part of NSW (but closer to the Murray) and all their old videos have Ausie Rules games not League.

The rest of NSW has little to do with Aussie Rules.

Yeah I thought it was that he chose the Blues from the options available to him, but we had previously removed ourselves as an option.

In any case, if he still wants to come back to Victoria at the end of this year, I hope we have a crack.

The considerable apparent gulf in salary was probably also a deciding factor....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Young Jack Mahony a Papley clone. Small, chunky, smarts. Rather a Charlie Cameron type if available 👍

I think Jon Ralph made a very pertinent point yesterday. (There's a sentence I never expected to write.) IF the salary caps are cut for next year, THEN the clubs sailing close to the threshold will find it very difficult to accommodate all of their out of contract players. And the clubs with lots of space in the cap will be in a prime position to attract players by offering more money. So if GWS, Sydney, Geelong (pure speculation) and others are under salary cap pressure with the current cap, they will be under greater pressure if the cap is cut. And those with current CAP space (let's call it a warchest) will be under far less pressure and in prime position to swoop.
And yes, I'm aware that this works on the assumption that GWS has a salary cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Narrandera is further west than Dubbo. (So is Melbourne.). It's a beautiful town. Spend some time there.

It's basically the beginning of the Riverina. Yeah it's in NSW but mentally it's not, it's just north of the Murray. If the real divide between NSW and Vic is if they love Aussie Rules or not then all of that south central and south western NSW area and the Riverina is all Victoria. Spiderbait are from that part of NSW (but closer to the Murray) and all their old videos have Ausie Rules games not League.

The rest of NSW has little to do with Aussie Rules.
So the Barassi line?

The considerable apparent gulf in salary was probably also a deciding factor....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It seems a common misconception that the Murray is the divider between Aussie Rules and Rugby League (I know I used to think that). Playing footy in Canberra we had quite a lot of players come from southern NSW and they said that Aussie Rules was far more popular back home.

Aussie Rules was even the number one code in Canberra prior to the establishment of the Canberra Raiders (early 80s).

So the Barassi line?

Correct. It pretty much runs Canberra side of Wagga from the Victoria border corner to the Queensland/NT border.

I played a rep game in my youth on the Narrandera footy ground, it's ******* enormous.

Barrasi line (With Narranderra as the pin):

1592527662594.png

I think someone said (maybe Pykie ?) that several Vic clubs are interested in Caldwell, but is there any indication that the kid is actually interested in coming back to Victoria?

Please note that even if the answer is no, that is no barrier to baseless speculation about us picking him up in this year’s trade period :cool:

It seems a common misconception that the Murray is the divider between Aussie Rules and Rugby League (I know I used to think that). Playing footy in Canberra we had quite a lot of players come from southern NSW and they said that Aussie Rules was far more popular back home.

Aussie Rules was even the number one code in Canberra prior to the establishment of the Canberra Raiders (early 80s).
Yeah I've read in the past that the VFL had Canberra but let it slip.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I think someone said (maybe Pykie ?) that several Vic clubs are interested in Caldwell, but is there any indication that the kid is actually interested in coming back to Victoria?

Please note that even if the answer is no, that is no barrier to baseless speculation about us picking him up in this year’s trade period :cool:

He's out of contract in 2020 and hasn't re-signed from his initial draft contract.

So until he has re-signed, as an interstate GWS kid, we assume his intention is to potentially come back like GWS seem to lose each year.

I think they would prefer to lose Hately (SA) before Caldwell though.

I think Jon Ralph made a very pertinent point yesterday. (There's a sentence I never expected to write.) IF the salary caps are cut for next year, THEN the clubs sailing close to the threshold will find it very difficult to accommodate all of their out of contract players. And the clubs with lots of space in the cap will be in a prime position to attract players by offering more money. So if GWS, Sydney, Geelong (pure speculation) and others are under salary cap pressure with the current cap, they will be under greater pressure if the cap is cut. And those with current CAP space (let's call it a warchest) will be under far less pressure and in prime position to swoop.
And yes, I'm aware that this works on the assumption that GWS has a salary cap.

This year will be pretty interesting.

I think the Bombers will lose Danniher as a RFA, but probably intern throw the kitchen sink at Jeremy Cameron who is a RFA at the end of the year.

The Giants could also lose Williams as a RFA.

There's only so many you can lose and Cameron isn't like losing a midfielder on their production line.

They have Cameron, Himmelberg and Finlayson, then you go to someone like ex-Werribee Jake Riccardi as their next option.

I think GWS will be on the hunt for a key forward potentially. Could Danniher go to GWS bizarrely if they think they might lose Cameron?

So the Barassi line?

Yeah, basically. It's not a straight line like the images I've seen depicting the Barassi line, but it's definitely there. East of the mountains and north of the Murrumbidgee, to the western borders of NSW and Queensland. The closer you are to the Great Barrier Reef the more likely you are play some form of sniffbum.

So maybe this Adani mine destroying the reef will be a good thing.

Caldwell looked good on the weekend. He has pace to burn too.

Dunno how we'd go with two blokes called Jy/e in the side. We could just call him the sorted I guess.

Jye Caldwell = The sorted for e

Yeah I've read in the past that the VFL had Canberra but let it slip.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Apparently it was very popular during the 50s, 60s & 70s in particular after much of the public service was moved up from Melbourne to Canberra. But there is still a fairly strong underlying popularity of AFL I would have to say. In another ~30 years Canberra could well be big enough to have its own team and it would probably be quite successful I think (in terms of being able to stand on its own feet rather than being a financial burden on the competition). But it's needed as a secondary market for GWS for the foreseeable future.

As a side note I reckon the Canberra market would adopt a relocated team better than other markets would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back