BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
That’s the only piece missing, give Crippa some elite help, let him go to work on the out as well, we need another bull ball hunter.
We have the rest to fill, Papley is perfunctory, need.
Don’t care about this year, just mould the team Mr. Teague, a cupla gaps to fill and we are game on.
Use this year internally as a growth year, 2020 is a war like year GF, best forgotten in my reckoning.
It’s recruit time, who wouldn’t want to stand next to our captain in the guts with the other off half back.
Go get the best inside mid available and Papley.
That’s we’re at.....

Stating the obvious a bit here CC.

List of options likely to be available or willing to entertain an offer:
Ollie Wines

That’s the only piece missing, give Crippa some elite help, let him go to work on the out as well, we need another bull ball hunter.
We have the rest to fill, Papley is perfunctory, need.
Don’t care about this year, just mould the team Mr. Teague, a cupla gaps to fill and we are game on.
Use this year internally as a growth year, 2020 is a war like year GF, best forgotten in my reckoning.
It’s recruit time, who wouldn’t want to stand next to our captain in the guts with the other off half back.
Go get the best inside mid available and Papley.
That’s we’re at.....
Agree with a fair bit of that, but they still have to show some improvement, otherwise we won`t know if Teague is the coach that we need long term........Carlton must chase Wines or B. Crouch (both Victorians......) or someone along those lines to help Crippa, and yes we had better hope that Papley still wants us, because a lot can change in 12 months......:think:

A few names come to mind for that inside midfield role:

1. Cuningham
2. Setterfield
3. Dow
4. Stocker

With a bit of luck, one of Kemp, Philp or Ramsay might track ahead of schedule.

If we had to recruit one player as an inside mid, it would be hard to look past Caldwell.

Eiffel's big call, Caldwell will surpass Walsh in 2021. Definitely worth giving up our first rounder for him.

I'm looking at Christian Petracca at the age of 24, finally starting to become the midfield threat he was always projected to be. I'm not about to write off some of our younger mids as far as eventually becoming decent inside midfielders.

However, none were projected to be the beast Petracca is looking like, so we still have a need there.

When it comes to midfielders with early picks, we have gone quite small/thin - Cuningham, SPS, Dow, O'Brien, Walsh. Brodie Kemp projects to be that big bodied goal scoring mid in the Petracca mould though. And Stocker .... I don't know what we have to lose by giving him a run in the middle.

Agree with a fair bit of that, but they still have to show some improvement, otherwise we won`t know if Teague is the coach that we need long term........Carlton must chase Wines or B. Crouch (both Victorians......) or someone along those lines to help Crippa, and yes we had better hope that Papley still wants us, because a lot can change in 12 months......:think:
Hello yes!

So you just agreed with meh yeh?!

Stating the obvious a bit here CC.

List of options likely to be available or willing to entertain an offer:
Ollie Wines

Can you state where I’m wrong?
I don’t need you to agree with me!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be nice to fine someone internally but also find someone from outside.

Wines - I think he comes at a cost and his run of injuries isn't great but if fit is a great player.

Crouch - RFA, would fill a role, how well and for how long will he go?

Caldwell - Great age but is he ready to go? Highly rated but is he the man? What's his cost?

Internally...

Gibbons - IMO our best chance of finding someone to step up in there at this stage.

Kemp - possibly our best prospect if he will go hard, show intensity and can run out games but that's next year.

Dow - injured but this year should be his year if he can play. Concerned with his repeat efforts and defensive pressure more than kicking.

Stocker - must be getting close.

Ramsay - probably not yet but hopefully soon.

Setterfield - disappointing, but have we tried him around the ball enough?

Kennedy - seems to lack the ability, burst and aggression for midfield play.

McGovern - I'd like to try him in there.

Silvagni - I like his hardness, I'd like to see him in there more.

Need to throw the kitchen sink to get Wines and Papley into the club. The era of enjoying good draft picks is over. Now it's about mid-twenties solid bodies to compliment the current crop.
We are only the complimentary mid + small forward (to replace Eddie when he retires) away from having the full puzzle.
Add natural development and bedding down the game plan and we'd be set.

WINES!

Also, what's the story with Brodie Kemp? Is he going to become the missing piece?

A few names come to mind for that inside midfield role:

1. Cuningham
2. Setterfield
3. Dow
4. Stocker

With a bit of luck, one of Kemp, Philp or Ramsay might track ahead of schedule.

If we had to recruit one player as an inside mid, it would be hard to look past Caldwell.

Eiffel's big call, Caldwell will surpass Walsh in 2021. Definitely worth giving up our first rounder for him.
I'd still like us to try Charlie in the midfield?

I've change my mind a little here - although midfield is our priority we need to be diligent in our focus and next move. Doesn't look like there is a 'Cogs' available this off season and Cripps is the same age as Juddy was, when he came over to lead our midfield. We needed to get him support 2/3 years ago, it should not be that important now.

Must get the next generation developed and ready to step up over the next 12 months. This must be our priority.
Players such as Setterfield, Kennedy, Stocker, Cuningham, Fisher, Dow, Gibbons, SpS need to now step up - no excuses for this list of names.
If a FA 'experienced' mid is available at the right price - no doubt but we need to keep our heads and not overpay.

I'm looking at Christian Petracca at the age of 24, finally starting to become the midfield threat he was always projected to be. I'm not about to write off some of our younger mids as far as eventually becoming decent inside midfielders.

However, none were projected to be the beast Petracca is looking like, so we still have a need there.

When it comes to midfielders with early picks, we have gone quite small/thin - Cuningham, SPS, Dow, O'Brien, Walsh. Brodie Kemp projects to be that big bodied goal scoring mid in the Petracca mould though. And Stocker .... I don't know what we have to lose by giving him a run in the middle.
Great post ODN

Powell-Pepper, yes I know he is bit of a plonker of a bloke and not great with foot skills, but he would also cost considerably less than Ollie Wines (both salary cap and trading wise) and he would possibly flourish with Eddie , SPS and Jack Martin etc

He is a tough Unit who takes crap from no one and could also be used as an Enforcer.

The more I think about it, the more SPP makes sense!

Powell-Pepper, yes I know he is bit of a plonker of a bloke and not great with foot skills, but he would also cost considerably less than Ollie Wines (both salary cap and trading wise) and he would possibly flourish with Eddie , SPS and Jack Martin etc

He is a tough Unit who takes crap from no one and could also be used as an Enforcer.

The more I think about it, the more SPP makes sense!
If SPP is the answer, might need another look at the question

If SPP is the answer, might need another look at the question

Maybe, but still, Wines stock has fallen massively in the past 18 months and Port would rightfully (from their POV) demand our first pick for him, which given Wines fitness and consistency levels over the last 18 - 24 months

In my opinion, you don't necessarily need your inside mids to be the most skillful and polished of players, just someone who can provide grunt and much needed physical support to the likes of Cripps

SPP can fill that job on a cheaper price than Wines, whilst we still have our 1st pick to spend on Papley (who is a lot more important to our needs) or a Caldwell or take it to the draft.

If we were close to the flag window, than yes I would say go for Wines, but clearly we are not on available evidence, so we need to think more laterally that does not impede our future (from a draft picks perspective)

SPP can fill that job on a cheaper price than Wines, whilst we still have our 1st pick to spend on Papley (who is a lot more important to our needs) or a Caldwell or take it to the draft.

SPP can do the grunt work, but I don't think he has the vision of Wines or the ability to find targets as quickly from the centre square.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back