Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This site has posted some of the funniest entries on each club. Especially love this one about the Mongrels and how they cheated in 2016

The one about us is pretty positive actually.

Any chance that Pickett well and truly jumped the shark in last year's GF? Maybe a bit harsh for a fourth gamer but he looked a fair way off the pace last night.
Micky was a bit quicker, but not noted for overhead marking. Our bull is perhaps a more complete package.
And a sh*tload less selfish. Also, although it was a much different game back then, Mickey didn't have a defensive bone in his body.

Any chance that Pickett well and truly jumped the shark in last year's GF? Maybe a bit harsh for a fourth gamer but he looked a fair way off the pace last night.

And a sh*tload less selfish. Also, although it was a much different game back then, Mickey didn't have a defensive bone in his body.

Had a quick chat with Micky few years ago. He was Nike's top man in Korea for a coupla' years. Liked his kim-chi and samgyetang 👍

Last edited:

Frankly I think the club should even be allowed to call itself the magpies if it wants to. If Collingwood didn't want something like this to happen, they shouldn't have supported the VFL's expansion into a national competition that would pull the rug out from under the SANFL and WAFL and degrade them into 2s leagues. They should have known a club like Port wouldn't just sit around and passively let itself be confined to the dustbin of history.

The jumper itself is good looking, unique and historical. There's just about nothing else like it in footy history, it's tied to Port's geographic location since it's based on the shape of wharf pylons, and when you look at other jumpers originating from the same time period, mostly the standard faire of stripes, sashes, monograms, vees or just single solid colours, it's unparallelled in how creative it is. For as long as Port aren't allowed to wear it in the AFL, the self appointed guardian of the history and culture of the game, it's a piece of history that's missing from the league.

Frankly I think the club should even be allowed to call itself the magpies if it wants to. If Collingwood didn't want something like this to happen, they shouldn't have supported the VFL's expansion into a national competition that would pull the rug out from under the SANFL and WAFL and degrade them into 2s leagues. They should have known a club like Port wouldn't just sit around and passively let itself be confined to the dustbin of history.

The jumper itself is good looking, unique and historical. There's just about nothing else like it in footy history, it's tied to Port's geographic location since it's based on the shape of wharf pylons, and when you look at other jumpers originating from the same time period, mostly the standard faire of stripes, sashes, monograms, vees or just single solid colours, it's unparallelled in how creative it is. For as long as Port aren't allowed to wear it in the AFL, the self appointed guardian of the history and culture of the game, it's a piece of history that's missing from the league.
I would LOVE this to go to court and be thrown out. I'm sick of listening to Ed push nothing but Pies agendas down our throat. Piss off and shut up Ed.

I would LOVE this to go to court and be thrown out. I'm sick of listening to Ed push nothing but Pies agendas down our throat. Piss off and shut up Ed.
Going to court would risk the whole thing going wrong for him and us wearing it full time :), doubt he'd want that.

I think they also need to realise that we will NEVER stop asking. Compromise is the only option really.

Going to court would risk the whole thing going wrong for him and us wearing it full time :), doubt he'd want that.

I think they also need to realise that we will NEVER stop asking. Compromise is the only option really.

Isn't it all tied up in contractual arrangements anyway?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh the quarters are to short for the Tigers? They’ve played at the MCG two weeks in a row. Two teams had to get up at sparrow’s fart last week to travel and they both won. 10 goals in 8 quarters is pathetic. fu** the Tigers!
The idea of perfection in footy is THE SEASON IS TOO LONG.. so you dont need to be right and rearing to go round 1 (in a regular season) in a 17 round season, 13wins can cement you top 4.. they are doing the same as last year! Prepping up at round 6-7 for 3 losses in their last ten games? IIRC? Thats gonna back fire this year

something that doesn't get talked about enough on this topic is that collingwood's current jumper is only 19 years old. they switched to white on black in 2001, their claim is that it's based on an older collingwood jumper but there had never been a collingwood jumper with white numbers before that. Some people say it was for the adidas sponsorship, but my suspicion is that they wanted a jumper that was mostly black to make sure that the jumper Port wanted would be too similar by comparison. It's created clashes that never existed before, they used to be able to play Carlton in any combination of shorts without confusion, now it's a farce every time Collingwood tries to wear their black jumpers for that matchup.

PortClassicBars@4x.png CollingwoodAway@4x.png

There isn't really much of a clash here. So of course Collingwood had to wear a darker jumper to make one where there never was before, and continue to undermine Port's brand for... well, i'm not really sure what gain. They're afraid people will get confused?

* richmond and hawthorn and * the dogs too! * sydney, * west coke * freo, * those cheatin campaigners, * those melbourne campaigners, * eddie and his ******* campaigner team, * both adelaide teams and * both queensland teams... Oh ive forgotten some other team to get ****ed.. oh yeh, those irrelevant campaigners with the world of potential, * those campaigners too

something that doesn't get talked about enough on this topic is that collingwood's current jumper is only 19 years old. they switched to white on black in 2001, their claim is that it's based on an older collingwood jumper but there had never been a collingwood jumper with white numbers before that. Some people say it was for the adidas sponsorship, but my suspicion is that they wanted a jumper that was mostly black to make sure that the jumper Port wanted would be too similar by comparison. It's created clashes that never existed before, they used to be able to play Carlton in any combination of shorts without confusion, now it's a farce every time Collingwood tries to wear their black jumpers for that matchup.

View attachment 895269 View attachment 895270

There isn't really much of a clash here. So of course Collingwood had to wear a darker jumper to make one where there never was before, and continue to undermine Port's brand for... well, i'm not really sure what gain. They're afraid people will get confused?
They are pretty similar.....they couldn't play each other in those strips, for example.

Isn't it all tied up in contractual arrangements anyway?
Nope. That's Eddie's smokescreen.
The only thing it is tied up in is his ridiculous amount of influence over AFL house.

It's quite simple really:
  • Both Port and the filth can wear their black and white jumpers;
  • When they play each other, the away team has to wear a clash strip;
  • The filth rarely play outside of Victoria so the practical upshot is that the filth will only have to wear a clash strip once every few years.
Problem solved.

It's great news if it's scrapped. Rort to let us get Thomas and then it's gone. Finally something stupid and uneven like this would have gone our way.

Having not read the article, I assume that it wouldn't be dismantled for this year's draft, which is apparently choc full of gun NGA's.

For me, even though we benifitted from it with TT, this was always going to be rorted, especially by the bigger, wealthy clubs to get around the equalisation of the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back